Taylor Vs Davies

Here's how I saw the undercard in the Millwall scum Vs Hughes battle.

Ref blows for a penalty. Davies runs toward Taylor for the ball, but Taylor throws it to Hughes. They go at it like children for a bit, then someone pulls Taylor away. Hughes bags the penalty. Anyone know what really happened?

to be honest im not that bothered by it, shows confidence.

I am. my £2 on him to be top league scorer at 66/1 would be looking a lot better with those 2 pens added to it.

Don't think he's going to get another chance to take one now either.

Davies isn’t the sort of player I like to see taking pens, he’s too erratic and seems to lose his head sometimes when through on goal. I don’t always like the idea of the forwards getting first go at them anyway, I often think that the players in positions who spend more time on the ball are more likely to score. From the current squad I reckon Ratman, Stefan “Cultured” Stam, Eardley, and maybe Hazell could all stick them away

Davies isn’t the sort of player I like to see taking pens, he’s too erratic and seems to lose his head sometimes when through on goal. I don’t always like the idea of the forwards getting first go at them anyway, I often think that the players in positions who spend more time on the ball are more likely to score. From the current squad I reckon Ratman, Stefan “Cultured” Stam, Eardley, and maybe Hazell could all stick them away

That's a joke isn't it? You're yanking our chain aren't you?

You saw Hughes really lay into that one on Saturday, and you reckon the tacklers are natural penalty takers. Very funny.

That's a joke isn't it? You're yanking our chain aren't you?

You saw Hughes really lay into that one on Saturday, and you reckon the tacklers are natural penalty takers. Very funny.

It’s not all that common for strikers to take other set pieces, midfielders more often do. Why? Because a central midfielder tends to be better at kicking a football. Davies’ main attributes are pace and his ability to beat a man, neither of which are relevant to a penalty. As for tacklerss taking them, it would never work. Stuart Pearce, Mr Irwin, Gareth Barry, Steve Staunton, rubbish, just rubbish...

It’s not all that common for strikers to take other set pieces, midfielders more often do. Why? Because a central midfielder tends to be better at kicking a football. Davies’ main attributes are pace and his ability to beat a man, neither of which are relevant to a penalty. As for tacklerss taking them, it would never work. Stuart Pearce, Mr Irwin, Gareth Barry, Steve Staunton, rubbish, just rubbish...

Gareth Southgate :P

I'll raise your midfielders and defenders and give you Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Robbie Fowler, Gabrielle Batistuta, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Dwight Yorke, Ian Wright, Andy Ritchie, Ian Marshall (Albeit pen taker from both ends of the field), Stuart Barlow (ho, ho, ho), Michael Owen, Luke Beckett, Matt Le Tissier, Peter Beardsley, Robbie Keane.......................

Agree with you though that sometimes midfielders or defenders can be more reliable. Andreas Brehme for one, John Wark, Steve Redmond then Keith Curle took them for years at Citeh. Kevin Sheedy was a fine taker of pens so was our own Lee Richardson and going further back Tony Henry was usually reliable. Currently Gerrard is a decent pen taker, Beckham is pooh! he even scuffed the one v the Argies! Other pen legends at Latics include Shez of course and Paul Reid who was always reliable and of course Lidds who is now officially a right-sided midfielder.

I'll raise your midfielders and defenders and give you Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Robbie Fowler, Gabrielle Batistuta, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Dwight Yorke, Ian Wright, Andy Ritchie, Ian Marshall (Albeit pen taker from both ends of the field), Stuart Barlow (ho, ho, ho), Michael Owen, Luke Beckett, Matt Le Tissier, Peter Beardsley, Robbie Keane.......................

Agree with you though that sometimes midfielders or defenders can be more reliable. Andreas Brehme for one, John Wark, Steve Redmond then Keith Curle took them for years at Citeh. Kevin Sheedy was a fine taker of pens so was our own Lee Richardson and going further back Tony Henry was usually reliable. Currently Gerrard is a decent pen taker, Beckham is pooh! he even scuffed the one v the Argies! Other pen legends at Latics include Shez of course and Paul Reid who was always reliable and of course Lidds who is now officially a right-sided midfielder.

Chris Waddle :P

Edited by oafc0000

Southgate. Pearce!! Did you say Pearce?

Southgate. Pearce!! Did you say Pearce?

Yeah, but he never missed for forest, from 12 yards or his trade mark 25 yard blockbusters! Remember him scoring a belter at BP over Chrimbo '91 to put Forest in the lead luckily Sharpy and Paul Bernard scored to win the game 2-1.

But there’s often an assumption that it’s going to be the striker who takes them – for example Owen was still taking them for Liverpool even though he was missing them by the shedload (even the world’s greatest centre forward has a chink in his armour). I recall Sheringham missing 3 on the trot when he joined the Buccs before they gave it to Irwin, who promptly smashed it in. My point really is that you shouldn’t just assume that the CF is the best man for the job because they are the ones usually running for the ball. I’m a long way from convinced that Davies’ head is screwed on tightly enough to be the man for the job. Can’t fault Hughesy’s record so far. Although Saturdays was far from a great pen, I think he just decided he was too nervous to place it and went for power, so fair enough. If someone is going to do that though, I’d sooner be the keeper facing Hughes than one of Eardley’s Exocet toe pokes.

But there’s often an assumption that it’s going to be the striker who takes them – for example Owen was still taking them for Liverpool even though he was missing them by the shedload (even the world’s greatest centre forward has a chink in his armour). I recall Sheringham missing 3 on the trot when he joined the Buccs before they gave it to Irwin, who promptly smashed it in. My point really is that you shouldn’t just assume that the CF is the best man for the job because they are the ones usually running for the ball. I’m a long way from convinced that Davies’ head is screwed on tightly enough to be the man for the job. Can’t fault Hughesy’s record so far. Although Saturdays was far from a great pen, I think he just decided he was too nervous to place it and went for power, so fair enough. If someone is going to do that though, I’d sooner be the keeper facing Hughes than one of Eardley’s Exocet toe pokes.

Wouldn't let Davies anywhere near pens tbh. Hughes took 'em for WBA and scored the vast majority and that'll do for me, but if Lidds gets fit and regains his place then his pen record speaks for itself and i'd let him resume his duties. 13 out of 13 is some record. If not them two then Eards strikes the ball better than anyone at the club he'd be next.

Can’t fault Hughesy’s record so far. Although Saturdays was far from a great pen, I think he just decided he was too nervous to place it and went for power, so fair enough.

When you look at the footage, you will realise that Hughes went for placement and power. Technically, he was in the perfect position to strike the ball straight, high and hard, which he did with minimal, if any, follow through. He did not swing at it in any way shape or form. You'll not see a better or more assured penalty than that.

When you look at the footage, you will realise that Hughes went for placement and power. Technically, he was in the perfect position to strike the ball straight, high and hard, which he did with minimal, if any, follow through. He did not swing at it in any way shape or form. You'll not see a better or more assured penalty than that.

Who hits a penalty straight out of choice? Especially hitting it hard, rather than chipping it, it gives you every chance of bouncing it off the keeper’s face or a trailing arm or leg.