Moan? Damn right I will....

Let's stop all this nonsense about the moaners being to blame for poor performances.

I have watched Latics for 35 years and there have ALWAYS been moaners. Yesterday for 90 minutes I shouted nothing but encouragement to a team that looked like they thought they'd done their seasons work last week at Everton and couldn't be arsed to concentrate. Everyone has a right to moan about that shocking performance against 10 men.

Whilst I was shouting encouragement, who was the only person I could hear yelling abuse at the players? JOHN SHERIDAN that's who! He never once said anything positive, and at the end of the game I suddenly decided that maybe I might as well have just joined the moaners.

This morning I have read all sorts of ridiculous posts about the terraces being too open, the fans getting on the players backs, the shirts being the wrong colour and more, but the fact is that NOTHING has changed in the last 35 years. Everything is still the same apart from the fact we are now clutching at straws looking for excuses.

Quite simply, there was no motivation (God knows what was said at half time again), a team that to a man decided to go against JS' principles of playing simple football, and a forward who is that worried about possibly losing his place to Leon Clarke that he feels he has to score himself, when three assists would have made him a darn sight more popular.

On top of that, we have a terrible home record that is clearly preying on the players minds (And maybe needs to be addressed by a professional psychologist - not a football coach), another ineffectual substitution, and a mis informed notion on the part of some players that THEY are OAFC and not the fans.

I have seen all the highs and some much worse lows than we are currently experiencing, and listened to the moaners at home AND at away games at almost every ground in the football league, and the bottom line will never change - the players or manager must accept responsibility for poor performances.

Latics proved what they are capable of at Leeds and Everton, and then didn't put half the commitment, effort or thought into Brighton - That is just cause for a good moan.

By the way, I am considering walking round the town next week for ninety minutes collecting £18 off people who want to verbally abuse me for the duration of that time. I might even kick a ball around to pass the time. Any takers?

Great post and probably spot-on!

I agree too, spot on. Sick of the holier than thou attitude of some of our fans. Can anyone blame people for getting a tad frustrated. Many have shown their commitment in shelling out the best part of £300+ for over priced third tier football and in the main at home it has been pisspoor. Like outoftheblue been there done it got the t-shirt but in comparison to away peformances (and many do have genuine reasons for not trapesing up and down the country -of which I do more than my fair share, but not having a pot to piss in at the moment my away games have been limited this year) home fans are getting a raw deal with tepid disinterested performances. The insult is we know the players are good enough its just whether they WANT to stepm up to the plate at home and actually win the games. Taking the lead is all, well and good but you have to WIN the game and it isn't only about outscoring the opposition. Home games are increasingly becoming a chore and next season I might just go to away games and become a holier then thou super fan......................

I agree too, spot on. Sick of the holier than thou attitude of some of our fans. Can anyone blame people for getting a tad frustrated. Many have shown their commitment in shelling out the best part of £300+ for over priced third tier football and in the main at home it has been pisspoor. Like outoftheblue been there done it got the t-shirt but in comparison to away peformances (and many do have genuine reasons for not trapesing up and down the country -of which I do more than my fair share, but not having a pot to piss in at the moment my away games have been limited this year) home fans are getting a raw deal with tepid disinterested performances. The insult is we know the players are good enough its just whether they WANT to stepm up to the plate at home and actually win the games. Taking the lead is all, well and good but you have to WIN the game and it isn't only about outscoring the opposition. Home games are increasingly becoming a chore and next season I might just go to away games and become a holier then thou super fan......................

Unfortunately, some fans think it is their mission in life to dictate how others should support their team. Personally, I rarely have a go at a player other than a " Think about your pass son!" or "You're giving your mark too much room", but I fully understand the frustrations of those who rant at the players to earn their keep.

Those who insist moaners should find another club could just as easily join the Salvation Army if they want to be surrounded by happy clappers. There are also those who say "why come on the forums if all you want to do is whinge?" Surely there is no point going on theirselves if they don't want to listen to different opinions. Everyone has their own way, and if nobody moaned then we would all think that everything was ok, when yesterday clearly wasn't.

Say what you think, because someone will always agree and some will disagree, but no-one has the right to tell someone what their opinion should be.

Let's stop all this nonsense about the moaners being to blame for poor performances.

I have watched Latics for 35 years and there have ALWAYS been moaners. Yesterday for 90 minutes I shouted nothing but encouragement to a team that looked like they thought they'd done their seasons work last week at Everton and couldn't be arsed to concentrate. Everyone has a right to moan about that shocking performance against 10 men.

Whilst I was shouting encouragement, who was the only person I could hear yelling abuse at the players? JOHN SHERIDAN that's who! He never once said anything positive, and at the end of the game I suddenly decided that maybe I might as well have just joined the moaners.

This morning I have read all sorts of ridiculous posts about the terraces being too open, the fans getting on the players backs, the shirts being the wrong colour and more, but the fact is that NOTHING has changed in the last 35 years. Everything is still the same apart from the fact we are now clutching at straws looking for excuses.

Quite simply, there was no motivation (God knows what was said at half time again), a team that to a man decided to go against JS' principles of playing simple football, and a forward who is that worried about possibly losing his place to Leon Clarke that he feels he has to score himself, when three assists would have made him a darn sight more popular.

On top of that, we have a terrible home record that is clearly preying on the players minds (And maybe needs to be addressed by a professional psychologist - not a football coach), another ineffectual substitution, and a mis informed notion on the part of some players that THEY are OAFC and not the fans.

I have seen all the highs and some much worse lows than we are currently experiencing, and listened to the moaners at home AND at away games at almost every ground in the football league, and the bottom line will never change - the players or manager must accept responsibility for poor performances.

Latics proved what they are capable of at Leeds and Everton, and then didn't put half the commitment, effort or thought into Brighton - That is just cause for a good moan.

By the way, I am considering walking round the town next week for ninety minutes collecting £18 off people who want to verbally abuse me for the duration of that time. I might even kick a ball around to pass the time. Any takers?

A very good post and all points are spot on.

There have been and always will be habitual moaners at this club and I think you notice it more now that we have all seater stadiums, as you tend to sit in the same seats around the same people at every home game. As for atmosphere....it's the team who really have to ignite the fans and they haven't exactly set the house on fire with the home performances this season.

2 wins and 9 goals at home all season.....it's just boring at the moment.

:disappointed:

Agree to certain point. You do have the right to moan, but wouldn't it generally be better after the game? Support during the game. Shez gets paid to bollock/encourage the players and we as club currently trust him with that resposibility. I have been going to Latics for 30+ years too and in that time there has always been moaners, but that doesn't mean we can't improve in the future. The attitude of some is I've paid my money thats enough-no extra effort required, I'm sorry but if thats the case other clubs who have a higher level of encouragement towards their players will gain an advantage. If TTA had an attitude of we rescued the club, thats it, we dont have to build a new stadium or invest in players etc! Where would we be heading??? Whinging never improved anything! Granted, having total support wont turn us into european champions but if it gets us 1 point it's worth it.

By the way. I'm being a smart ar_se on owtb next week anyone wanna pay me £18?

We are a lower league team with players who at times play some good stuff and at times play some tripe. (Like all lower league teams). The home record is definitely playing on the players minds – confidence is something which plays a massive part in sport and its the easiest thing to lose and hardest to gain. There are no excuses, I think the players need to feel free to play with more freedom at home. Whether that’s the fact they feel under more pressure at home / they are expected to win or what, but some of the absolute drivel that is spouted by some Latics fans is embarrassing and I’ve had many an argument it BP (and some away games – anyone who was at Crewe near me last season will have seen it!) with some of our fans.

Before the Everton game we knew the problems. They did not go away after that and new ones appear.

This barracking of Davies is disgraceful. Its the first time we have had a striker with genuine pace who pulls defenders around, creating space for someone in years. YES he is greedy, YES he is raw and YES he is frustrating at times, but there is so much to work with. Anyone who can’t see that needs to actually watch the game. Brian Clough said man -management was all about telling off one player and putting an arm around a different player for doing the same thing. I think Davies personally is the latter.

There is certainly no holier than thou attitude with me. I have had a go at times, but its the singling out of players that really gets to me and its that which I am really talking about. I remember a home game earlier this season and the abuse Smalley got was really bad. The only time I’ve ever been ashamed to be a Latics fan was at Barnsley away. Not at getting beat 4-0, but what Mr. Butcher was subjected to. It was appalling.

There are a lot of good things coming out of this season, more than I expected to be honest.

We are a lower league team with players who at times play some good stuff and at times play some tripe. (Like all lower league teams). The home record is definitely playing on the players minds – confidence is something which plays a massive part in sport and its the easiest thing to lose and hardest to gain. There are no excuses, I think the players need to feel free to play with more freedom at home. Whether that’s the fact they feel under more pressure at home / they are expected to win or what, but some of the absolute drivel that is spouted by some Latics fans is embarrassing and I’ve had many an argument it BP (and some away games – anyone who was at Crewe near me last season will have seen it!) with some of our fans.

Before the Everton game we knew the problems. They did not go away after that and new ones appear.

This barracking of Davies is disgraceful. Its the first time we have had a striker with genuine pace who pulls defenders around, creating space for someone in years. YES he is greedy, YES he is raw and YES he is frustrating at times, but there is so much to work with. Anyone who can’t see that needs to actually watch the game. Brian Clough said man -management was all about telling off one player and putting an arm around a different player for doing the same thing. I think Davies personally is the latter.

There is certainly no holier than thou attitude with me. I have had a go at times, but its the singling out of players that really gets to me and its that which I am really talking about. I remember a home game earlier this season and the abuse Smalley got was really bad. The only time I’ve ever been ashamed to be a Latics fan was at Barnsley away. Not at getting beat 4-0, but what Mr. Butcher was subjected to. It was appalling.

There are a lot of good things coming out of this season, more than I expected to be honest.

I agree there is no justification in singling out one player for abuse match after match. I still feel that if Smalley had been subbed at half time during that match he wouldn't have had to suffer the damaging level of abuse he did. It has shown great mental attitude from the lad that he has bounced back from it - many wouldn't.

The point I was making though, was that we are using the moans and groans of people who are dissatisfied with the teams performance as a whole, as an excuse for tactical errors and a lack of commitment.

Brian Clough was a fabulous judge of a players mental state. If Shez could add that string to his bow he would be a little closer to becoming a complete all round manager.

As for Davies, he is just a little too desperate and frustrated at the moment - we know what he is really capable of.

Edited by outoftheblue

Rose tinted or what. Davies obviously has a major problem with Hughes that much is obvious. On at least two occasions yesterday Hughes was wide open on goal and all it needed was for that Greedy B*****d Davies to play the simple pass. Davies looked totally disinterested for 89 minutes of the game and I for one wouldn't pay him with washers. He should be in the reserves and on the training pitch learning to recognise the other ten players on the team. Having learned that simple lesson he should then learn to pass to them occasionally.... :angry::angry:

Rose tinted? Erm - I do make a point of mentioning his greediness and how frustrating he is. Putting him in the reserves is one solution. I personally wouldn't. Thats just me.

As for his problem with Hughes. I've never asked him. What did he say to you when you asked him?

Rose tinted or what. Davies obviously has a major problem with Hughes that much is obvious. On at least two occasions yesterday Hughes was wide open on goal and all it needed was for that Greedy B*****d Davies to play the simple pass. Davies looked totally disinterested for 89 minutes of the game and I for one wouldn't pay him with washers. He should be in the reserves and on the training pitch learning to recognise the other ten players on the team. Having learned that simple lesson he should then learn to pass to them occasionally.... :angry::angry:

That is probably why you are not the manager of a professional football club.

Outofttheblue, I have also been watching Latics for 35 years and to say that nothing has changed is quite ridiculous. If you have any spare time, dig out the Arsenal DVD from 1990 and tell me how the atmosphere compares with that of yesterday.

There will always be moaners, but the people more at fault for yesterdays lack of atmosphere are the peole who were singing their lungs out at Everton but sat down yesterday and kept quiet.

Sick of the holier than thou attitude of some of our fans.

You are not the only one. The absurd theory about moaning fans being responsible for bad team performances only came with the advent of internet discussion boards and a society with too much time on its hands.

When a team fails it's down to the players and management. End of.

Rose tinted? Erm - I do make a point of mentioning his greediness and how frustrating he is. Putting him in the reserves is one solution. I personally wouldn't. Thats just me.

As for his problem with Hughes. I've never asked him. What did he say to you when you asked him?

Oh I don't need to ask. All I need to do is watch them on the pitch!!!!

:disappointed:

Agree to certain point. You do have the right to moan, but wouldn't it generally be better after the game? Support during the game. Shez gets paid to bollock/encourage the players and we as club currently trust him with that resposibility. I have been going to Latics for 30+ years too and in that time there has always been moaners, but that doesn't mean we can't improve in the future. The attitude of some is I've paid my money thats enough-no extra effort required, I'm sorry but if thats the case other clubs who have a higher level of encouragement towards their players will gain an advantage. If TTA had an attitude of we rescued the club, thats it, we dont have to build a new stadium or invest in players etc! Where would we be heading??? Whinging never improved anything! Granted, having total support wont turn us into european champions but if it gets us 1 point it's worth it.

By the way. I'm being a smart ar_se on owtb next week anyone wanna pay me £18?

A football club where the fans never moaned about bad performances has never existed in the history of football.

Outofttheblue, I have also been watching Latics for 35 years and to say that nothing has changed is quite ridiculous. If you have any spare time, dig out the Arsenal DVD from 1990 and tell me how the atmosphere compares with that of yesterday.

The difference in the atmosphere can be put down to the 1990 team being not only effective but great to watch.

And hammering the top flight champions is also conducive to a good atmosphere. Two mediocre Third Divison sides going through the motions at a club that's been in the doldrums for a decade doesn't really compare.

No difference. The atmosphere was like that at Everton last week - As you'd expect when we're playing high flying clubs (Not checked actually, but I thought it was '89 anyway), but when things weren't going right in the old second division, comments were made. Much the same people who were stood behind the dugout then are still sat around there now, and you know what? They're still moaning at unprofessional mistakes like they always have.

The defeat of Arsenal was pretty much the start of success around that time, but prior to that there was discontent. I still remember people saying Tony Henry (Joe's 1st signing?) was going to be a mistake before he'd even kicked a ball for us.

Trust me, nothing's changed.

No difference. The atmosphere was like that at Everton last week - As you'd expect when we're playing high flying clubs (Not checked actually, but I thought it was '89 anyway), but when things weren't going right in the old second division, comments were made. Much the same people who were stood behind the dugout then are still sat around there now, and you know what? They're still moaning at unprofessional mistakes like they always have.

The defeat of Arsenal was pretty much the start of success around that time, but prior to that there was discontent. I still remember people saying Tony Henry (Joe's 1st signing?) was going to be a mistake before he'd even kicked a ball for us.

Trust me, nothing's changed.

No, trust me. Things have changed over the years. There used to be more positive feedback and encouragement from the terraces.

We have been to Wember-ley, played at the highest level, reached 2 FA Cup semis. The subsequent fall from grace I think has had a devastating effect. People now seem to have expectations and I don't think that we had the same level of expectation back in the 70s and 80s.

Trust me. Things have changed massively.

No, trust me. Things have changed over the years. There used to be more positive feedback and encouragement from the terraces.

We have been to Wember-ley, played at the highest level, reached 2 FA Cup semis. The subsequent fall from grace I think has had a devastating effect. People now seem to have expectations and I don't think that we had the same level of expectation back in the 70s and 80s.

Trust me. Things have changed massively.

I've not been a latics fan for as long as some on here, had season ticket since 1995/1996, however can honestly say the seasons under the guidance of andy ritchie (1997-2000) when we were regularly drubbed 4-0 at home produced better support than yesterday.

There is a time, a place, and a way to let out your frustrations, and yes people support the team in different ways. But jeering and calling the players and getting on their backs is not what I call support.

When I let out my frustrations, I do so by releasing a few f words now and again, along with a rant on here and after the game, after the final whistle when the result cannot be influenced!!!!!!! When the players are out on that field i will get behind em and shout encouragement.

Guest sheridans_world
all it needed was for that Greedy B*****d Davies

That doesnt help him play better does it?

Why do people moan at football matches? Because they dont like what they see?

So they believe that by moaning this will help change what is happening on the pitch?

I guess the logic works, in a culture where people moan constantly about a range of things (price of cheese) why change when you go to watch some young lads play football?

Our team is still very inexperienced at handling the pressure coming from the stands. The lads wernt expected to make the playoffs last season, they did and the pressure has been on to do the same this season.

People forget that Davies is only 21, he is still suffering the effects from a failed move to Italy! When he has a few more goals under his belt (which he will), i'm sure he will start to relax.

Moaning doesnt help the team. FACT.

Ask yourself this question, if a manager has a go at you, in your chosen place of work, do you respond positivley, thank the person and change. Or do you start a secret hatred for that person?

If a manager at work trys to encourage you to do better and change something, do you respond positivley, thank the person and change. Or do you start a secret hatred for that person?

Morale is a big issue for all employers, i know for a fact that i respond better to the 'you could do this a bit differently' approach than the 'this is rubbish, do it again' approach.

dig out the Arsenal DVD from 1990

There were DVD's in 1990? :grin:

That doesnt help him play better does it?

Why do people moan at football matches? Because they dont like what they see?

So they believe that by moaning this will help change what is happening on the pitch?

I guess the logic works, in a culture where people moan constantly about a range of things (price of cheese) why change when you go to watch some young lads play football?

Our team is still very inexperienced at handling the pressure coming from the stands. The lads wernt expected to make the playoffs last season, they did and the pressure has been on to do the same this season.

People forget that Davies is only 21, he is still suffering the effects from a failed move to Italy! When he has a few more goals under his belt (which he will), i'm sure he will start to relax.

Moaning doesnt help the team. FACT.

Ask yourself this question, if a manager has a go at you, in your chosen place of work, do you respond positivley, thank the person and change. Or do you start a secret hatred for that person?

If a manager at work trys to encourage you to do better and change something, do you respond positivley, thank the person and change. Or do you start a secret hatred for that person?

Morale is a big issue for all employers, i know for a fact that i respond better to the 'you could do this a bit differently' approach than the 'this is rubbish, do it again' approach.

There were DVD's in 1990? :grin:

Let me ask you this question. Now that I have calmed down a bit after the debacle that was Saturdays performance.

If You went to the theatre expecting to watch a play starring Brad Pitt (Just an example) and what was actually served up was a question and answer session by John Prescott. You would be rightly angry and demand your money back. If you went to a restaurant, ordered a curry and got fish and chips. You would be rightly angry and demand your money back. If you went to watch your favourite band (e.g. Keane) and Blur came onstage you would be rightly angry and demand your money back. Are you getting my drift. I went to a football match on Saturday and expected to see 11 players play with skill, passion, determination and pride in the shirt. Unfortunately one of them (In my personal opinion) failed to do any of them for the majority of the game. I was angry and wanted to demand my money back. However I had to temper this with the love I have for my club who need the money in difficult times. Any one who wants to accuse me of not being a true supporter, heres your chance. I expressed my anger and indignation at the time and here on this message board as did others. I also watched Sheridan and Wright spend 90 minutes berating the players out on the pitch so your post needs to be sent to them as well. I will (hopefully) be sitting in my seat in BP long after the likes of Sheridan, Davies, Hughes, Allott et al have moved on and I will encourage, clap, cheer and boo in equal measure. That is a true supporter. One who supports their club through all the times and does not wear rose tinted spectacles where the team is concerned. I call it has it is (In my view) honestly and openly. They will not improve if we are not honest. It is after all the entertainment industry isn't it?

There is positive feedback and encouragement from the stands now, as much as there ever was when the performance warrants it. Some people simply overreact because they hear people around them complaining about poor performances. What does anybody expect? Most people who watch football work in mundane jobs and have all sorts of personal travails to cope with. Football is a brief outlet before the daily grind begins all over again. Some people are, therefore, understandably frustrated when they pay way, way over the odds to watch players who earn more in a month than their annual salary, in some cases, either not trying or putting in sub-standard performances.

It's bound to happen, particularly at this level, where you rely on the kind of players who can look like world beaters on occasion, only to turn out the very next week looking like pub footballers, a situation which means that there are rarely signs of ongoing progress on the playing side of a club. It's the same at every club in the division.

I've been watching since the 1970s, and trust me-people have moaned at BP throughout all of that time, particularly in the paddock of what is now known as the Lookers Stand.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

There is positive feedback and encouragement from the stands now, as much as there ever was when the performance warrants it. Some people simply overreact because they hear people around them complaining about poor performances. What does anybody expect? Most people who watch football work in mundane jobs and have all sorts of personal travails to cope with. Football is a brief outlet before the daily grind begins all over again. Some people are, therefore, understandably frustrated when they pay way, way over the odds to watch players who earn more in a month than their annual salary, in some cases, either not trying or putting in sub-standard performances.

It's bound to happen, particularly at this level, where you rely on the kind of players who can look like world beaters on occasion, only to turn out the very next week looking like pub footballers, a situation which means that there are rarely signs of ongoing progress on the playing side of a club. It's the same at every club in the division.

I've been watching since the 1970s, and trust me-people have moaned at BP throughout all of that time, particularly in the paddock of what is now known as the Lookers Stand.

What is was saying is that there used to be more encouragement then than there is now in my opinion. I agree that there have always been moaners, I just think that at the moment, there is a higher propotion of them than there used to be.

My first season ticket was in the new Ford Stand, so I have also been watching since the 70s.

Let me ask you this question. Now that I have calmed down a bit after the debacle that was Saturdays performance.

If You went to the theatre expecting to watch a play starring Brad Pitt (Just an example) and what was actually served up was a question and answer session by John Prescott. You would be rightly angry and demand your money back. If you went to a restaurant, ordered a curry and got fish and chips. You would be rightly angry and demand your money back. If you went to watch your favourite band (e.g. Keane) and Blur came onstage you would be rightly angry and demand your money back. Are you getting my drift. I went to a football match on Saturday and expected to see 11 players play with skill, passion, determination and pride in the shirt. Unfortunately one of them (In my personal opinion) failed to do any of them for the majority of the game. I was angry and wanted to demand my money back. However I had to temper this with the love I have for my club who need the money in difficult times. Any one who wants to accuse me of not being a true supporter, heres your chance. I expressed my anger and indignation at the time and here on this message board as did others. I also watched Sheridan and Wright spend 90 minutes berating the players out on the pitch so your post needs to be sent to them as well. I will (hopefully) be sitting in my seat in BP long after the likes of Sheridan, Davies, Hughes, Allott et al have moved on and I will encourage, clap, cheer and boo in equal measure. That is a true supporter. One who supports their club through all the times and does not wear rose tinted spectacles where the team is concerned. I call it has it is (In my view) honestly and openly. They will not improve if we are not honest. It is after all the entertainment industry isn't it?

Sorry, I was under the impression that you bought a ticket for Boundary Park. Didn't realise it was for Old Trafford. I would go and ask for your money back.

:huh:

It's a classic chicken and egg situation.

Is it up to the team to lift the fans with good football / results or should the fans give the team encouragement even when the chips are down (which, at home they are)?

I'm of the opinion that the footballers, professional as they are, should be the ones to get the ball rolling but at the moment this just isn't happening.

Therefore, it seems obvious to me that we either show the team a little goodwill and get behind them from the first minute against Huddersfield or we wallow in self-pity while another season passes without success.

It strikes me that some people who turn up to football matches every other week have absolutely no idea what it means to be a football fan.

I would respectfully advise those who think it equates to a trip to the theatre or a restaurant should stop wasting their money and go shopping with the missus on a Saturday afternoon instead.