Signing today..

On my part it's not so much sycophancy towards TTA as being able and willing to understand the parameters within which they must operate.

Frustration is not disloyalty.

But neither is realism lack of ambition.

Edited by garcon

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best post in the thread.

Frustration at lack of progress in footballing terms is not disloyalty. The soft totalitarianism that some would like to prevail on Latics boards is tiresome, while the sycophancy towards TTA (yes-I too am as grateful as the next fan) is nauseating.

I agree totally but if the players don't want to come to BP then what can you do--no amount of wheeling ad dealing will get a player here if they don't want to come. KK in his first spell was a pretty much an unknown. He returned in his second spell because of the enjoyable time he had first time around. To get a another player of KK quality, in the Januaray transfer widow, is nigh on impossible IMO.

On my part it's not so much sycophancy towards TTA as being able and willing to understand the parameters within which they must operate.

Frustration is not disloyalty.

But neither is realism lack of ambition.

Realism is entirely subjective. Too many posters have (whether they have admitted it to themselves or not) have settled for this club being 'little Oldham of League Two.'

Oldham is not a little town, although some people keep trying to maintain that it is. It's hardly smaller, both in terms of geographical area and population, than Bolton or Blackburn. Or Preston. It is bigger than Burnley.

Plenty of clubs from similar-size towns have sailed past us in, both in football terms and faclities-wise, in recent years.

The holier-than-though fans, furthermore, constantly point the finger at Oldhamers who don't turn up at BP. Well I've got some bad news for them:without convincing progress on the pitch they will not be along (or back, as the case may be.) The support of a local population, especially when competition is as intense as it is in this region, has to be earned.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Realism is entirely subjective. Too many posters have (whether they have admitted it to themselves or not) have settled for this club being 'little Oldham of League Two.'

Oldham is not a little town, although some people keep trying to maintain that it is. It's hardly smaller, both geographically and population-wise, than Bolton.

Plenty of clubs from similar-size towns have sailed past us in, both in football terms and faclities-wise, in recent years.

The holier-than-though fans, furthermore, constantly point the finger at Oldhamers who don't turn up at BP. Well I've got some bad news for them:without convincing progress on the pitch they will not be along (or back, as the case may be.) The support of a local population, especially when competition is as intense as it is in this region, has to be earned.

Entirely agree on the last part. They will only come when they want, and that means better football in the league above.

And yes, realism is subjective. My realism involves the ambition to be stable in the Championship in front of 5 figure crowds. Something that is most certainly achievable in the medium term, particularly with the kind of investment TTA are looking at in the ground and surrounding area.

However, I do NOT support the notion of promotion asap at all cost. That is a pure recipe for disaster longer term. Something which several people are unable or unwilling to grasp.

Oldham is not a little town, although some people keep trying to maintain that it is. It's hardly smaller, both geographically and population-wise, than Bolton.

Finally a realist. Half of the guys on here are brainwashed by the propaganda that eminates from the club. Give the town a successful team and they will come. The club with regards to marketing have given up in my opinion, why isn't EVERY game promoted to the hilt in the press, on the radio and within the town. 50 more on the gate can multiply over time and the fact still is NOTHING has been done regarding the scoreboard apart from a lot of hot air or expecting fans and local businesses to foot the bill is ridiculous. The owners would get their money back in no time if advertising on the scoreboard was marketed as it had been in the past. Too much at the club is half-arsed.

As you say too many are happy plodding along in this league, yes we nearly went bump, yes TTA saved us, but without tangible progress ON the field then we will forever be in the doldrums. No amount of shiny new grounds will help, just ask Darlo, Oxford, Bournemouth etc...Clubs become successful through how good their footballers are simple as.

Finally a realist. Half of the guys on here are brainwashed by the propaganda that eminates from the club. Give the town a successful team and they will come. The club with regards to marketing have given up in my opinion, why isn't EVERY game promoted to the hilt in the press, on the radio and within the town. 50 more on the gate can multiply over time and the fact still is NOTHING has been done regarding the scoreboard apart from a lot of hot air or expecting fans and local businesses to foot the bill is ridiculous. The owners would get their money back in no time if advertising on the scoreboard was marketed as it had been in the past. Too much at the club is half-arsed.

As you say too many are happy plodding along in this league, yes we nearly went bump, yes TTA saved us, but without tangible progress ON the field then we will forever be in the doldrums. No amount of shiny new grounds will help, just ask Darlo, Oxford, Bournemouth etc...Clubs become successful through how good their footballers are simple as.

True-every game should indeed be promoted. One reason they never are is, I am guessing, is due to a perception that it wouldn't make any difference (an attitude that seems to exist within the club at the same time as appeals are issued for more people to turn up...) This might stem from the fact that when the club has experimented with this in a small way in the past (I don't include the £2 initiative last season), with 'kid for a quid' type things and free tickets for schools, the results are usually disappointing, giving rise to more bile towards the Oldham public from the internet happy clappers. What they fail to take into account is the football on offer, and that, without convincing improvements in that area, interest will always be lacking.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

[quote name='garcon' date='Jan 19 2008, 14:41 PM' post='89593'

However, I do NOT support the notion of promotion asap at all cost. That is a pure recipe for disaster longer term. Something which several people are unable or unwilling to grasp.

I'm not worried about promotion, i'm more worried about the opposite end of the league. 6 points clear of relegation with some real tough encounters on the horizon and a squad that isn't going to get us through a really tough period in the next month. Injuries and bans could cripple us. Look at last season, when we tried to win promotion with 11 men....

Yeovil (A)

Gills (A)

Hudds (H) FAC

Carlisle (H)

Swans (A)

Gils (H)

Brizzle (A)

Yeovil (H)

Brighton (A)

Swindon (H)

10 games in 38 days are gonna take their toll, so reinforcements are imperative

Entirely agree on the last part. They will only come when they want, and that means better football in the league above.

And yes, realism is subjective. My realism involves the ambition to be stable in the Championship in front of 5 figure crowds. Something that is most certainly achievable in the medium term, particularly with the kind of investment TTA are looking at in the ground and surrounding area.

Your ambition is entirely in line with mine. I'm not sure that anybody has, however, demanded promotion at any cost.

I'm not worried about promotion, i'm more worried about the opposite end of the league. 6 points clear of relegation with some real tough encounters on the horizon and a squad that isn't going to get us through a really tough period in the next month. Injuries and bans could cripple us. Look at last season, when we tried to win promotion with 11 men....

Yeovil (A)

Gills (A)

Hudds (H) FAC

Carlisle (H)

Swans (A)

Gils (H)

Brizzle (A)

Yeovil (H)

Brighton (A)

Swindon (H)

I've been worried about being sucked into a relegation battle ever since the disastrous late summer/early autumn. It is on my mind every time I leave BP after another sub-standard, point dropping performance.

Some fans don't seem to appreciate the catastrophe that relegation to the basement would represent for this club.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

True-every game should indeed be promoted. One reason they never are is, I am guessing, is due to a perception that it wouldn't make any difference (an attitude that seems to exist within the club at the same time as appeals are issued for more people to turn up...) This might stem from the fact that when the club has experimented with this in a small way in the past (I don't include the £2 initiative last season), with 'kid for a quid' type things and free tickets for schools, the results are usually disappointing, giving rise to more bile towards the Oldham public from the internet happy clappers. What they fail to take into account is the football on offer, and that, without convincing improvements in that area, interest will always be lacking.

I think the interest IS there Corporal. Look at the Survival game, if the townspeople didn't give a toss (and I know a few came from other clubs) we wouldn't have got a crowd of 10k+. Same with Celebration Sunday, yes it was summat for nowt in abundance but people did turn up. I think the trust could be actively be involved in this one, surely there's a little in the pot to market the club. If the club themselves aren't that bothered then surely it is up to US again the fans.

Yes, we are up against City, Bolton and Wigan who are all around the same price for ST and maybe a little a little cheaper in some instances, but we can market the homely, family club aspect. We do a lot within the community and we need to press that home.

Just a twopennethworth;

The reason I became a supporter of Oldham was a visit and free ticket ("Anyone that wants one can 'ave one") by the club to Rushcoft Primary School. Had a great time, won 3-1 (vs B/Burn Rovers, I think), and was from that point on, hooked. My Dad, who was forced to take me, was a passive 'dale/City fan; my bro, and my Mum, who both had no interest in footie at all, took a while, but eventually got intruiged by our Sat'day highs and lows. Hey presto! 20 years of tickets and merchandise - many thousands of pounds - from FOUR previously disinterested local people for now more than 20 years - was on the back of a free ticket, a play in the padock, and a win, and a sense of anticipation.

I'd argue that a bloke like Chaddy is equally as deserving - and just as necessary - as a winger like KK. Put one on each wing, and everybody is happy ;)

Edited by kirinclassic

Yeovil (A)

Gills (A)

Hudds (H) FAC

Carlisle (H)

Swans (A)

Gils (H)

Brizzle (A)

Yeovil (H)

Brighton (A)

Swindon (H)

38 days to make or break the season. TBH can't see us going up or down.