Signing today..

Make no bones about it in a months time without quality additions we will be fighting a relegation battle. The parallels with Ritchie's first season and Talbot's season are there to see. The home form is dire, the away form will fade, not even Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea win away every week and the clubs at the bottom are starting to gain ground as well as actually signing players.

So you really think there arent four worse clubs than ours. Signings or not?

Clubs at the bottom signing players? Who exactly. Not Port Vale. Not Luton Town. Not Bournemouth. Not Cheltenham. They're the bottom four afterall.

There is only Millwall down near the bottom who've signed anyone. Look at who they've brought in and hardly of any known quality.

Crewe have brought no one in and lost one of their internationals to a Spanish side.

Northampton have lost their top scorer Andy Kirk.

Add in Tranmere to the above who are free falling and again, they've brought in no one.

Excellent post and one which mr bilboa needs to digest

Indeed it was a good post. Far more apt than your original one. Oh and maybe you shouldnt jump to conclusions as to the Rocky part and realise it has absolutely nothing to do with the film.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just read most of this thread and I'm beginning to wonder whether I've drifted off onto another planet.

Some of you are honestly more insane than Toon fans, and I thought that was impossible.

It just goes to show there is a section of fans who will never be happy, who are deluded beyond belief, and frankly who would get exactly what they deserve if the owners left and the club died.

I've just read most of this thread and I'm beginning to wonder whether I've drifted off onto another planet.

Some of you are honestly more insane than Toon fans, and I thought that was impossible.

It just goes to show there is a section of fans who will never be happy, who are deluded beyond belief, and frankly who would get exactly what they deserve if the owners left and the club died.

well,

1.i pay good money and am more than entitled to my opinion thanks.

2 the owners WERE going to leave the club if they didnt get their way.as has been posted their dummies came out with the porter saga as well,what was it? oh we might have to consider our future,

Anyway,time for a rest.

Edited by jerzybalowski

Good post,much better than the original one,hopefully some investment in the team will be coming.(if it isn;t then they can whistle,i aint paying stupid money to a club with no apparent ambition-unless your into property of course)

TTA have said the money is there for the right players! Do you honestly want us to go back to running the club like Chris M***e? They are paying nearly £900k a year just to keep the club running out of there pockets because Oldhamers want to sit at home and watch Sky. Go and watch United.

So you really think there arent four worse clubs than ours. Signings or not?

Clubs at the bottom signing players? Who exactly. Not Port Vale. Not Luton Town. Not Bournemouth. Not Cheltenham. They're the bottom four afterall.

Port Vale have signed at least four players (2 from Chasetown, 2 from Villa, plus a couple when Sinnott arrived)

Bournemouth (Brought in higher League loanees - yet again, best utilisers of this system in the lower leagues imo)

Cheltenham (Steve Brooker, Alex Russell etc..)

Luton - OK i'll giver yer that one!

My point is most teams are bringing additions in and decent ones at that. We are past the bare bones and are putting 16 year olds on the bench. We need quality additions and we need them now. Any more injuries and bans (such as the ones which crippled us from Feb last year) and we really will be struggling.

We know the window's open a month, but we're over half way through and it isn't looking good, our record at the last minute hardly instils confidence does it? Let me remind you. Dean Crowe, Delroy Facey, Glombard, Malongo etc, at our level there's only the turds left on that final day, we've proved it year after year. We got in early this summer for once and pulled off coups by getting Davies and Hughes. If we want decent players we have to pay what they want otherwise we are left with scraps that no bugger else wants, I've seen it year after year mate.

Our record isnt good, nope. At our level there's only the turds. I dont agree with that.

Luke Guttridge

Luke Chambers

Jemal Johnson

Jon-Paul McGovern

There's two out of a very short list of deadline day signings.

We havent had a manager capable of picking one of these up. Simple fact. Nothing to do with that there's only 'turds' left.

TTA have said the money is there for the right players! Do you honestly want us to go back to running the club like Chris M***e? They are paying nearly £900k a year just to keep the club running out of there pockets because Oldhamers want to sit at home and watch Sky. Go and watch United.

If he wants to voice his opinion let him. That's the problem with a lot of our fans, anyone dares to say anything different they're told to sod off and watch United. Suppose I better go too, 'cos I agree with some of the things he says? I'm sure many others do too its just they haven't the balls to post what they REALLY think for fear of upsetting their cyber buddies!

Port Vale have signed at least four players (2 from Chasetown, 2 from Villa, plus a couple when Sinnott arrived)

Bournemouth (Brought in higher League loanees - yet again, best utilisers of this system in the lower leagues imo)

Cheltenham (Steve Brooker, Alex Russell etc..)

Luton - OK i'll giver yer that one!

My point is most teams are bringing additions in and decent ones at that. We are past the bare bones and are putting 16 year olds on the bench. We need quality additions and we need them now. Any more injuries and bans (such as the ones which crippled us from Feb last year) and we really will be struggling.

Port Vale - Chasetown??? Exactly. You havent mentioned they've lost Rocastle and Willock

Cheltenham - Brooker and Russell are only loanees. Decent one's mind, but even with them - stronger squad than ours at current? 8 points gap and a big goal difference advantage.

Bournemouth - The same Bournemouth we ran riot over? They've no James Henry on loan anymore. Though he is a player perhaps we should be looking to loan now from Reading. They've only got Max Gradel on loan at current havent they??

Teams above us are bringing in decent additions. Certainly not at the bottom - bar possibly the two at Cheltenham who when you look at the rest of the squad, it doesnt pose you much of a threat.

Shez's priority now we are at bare bones is to make sure bigger clubs dont swoop in, ala like they're trying with Trotman.

I'm sure many others do too its just they haven't the balls to post what they REALLY think for fear of upsetting their cyber buddies!

Not at all. There are mates of mine from games who post on here who think the same. The difference is that they can actually put forward their point better (as has yourself) compared to the other one. That's the difference between being called and actually being able to have a debate on the issue without getting childish.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Port Vale - Chasetown??? Exactly. You havent mentioned they've lost Rocastle and Willock

Cheltenham - Brooker and Russell are only loanees. Decent one's mind, but even with them - stronger squad than ours at current? 8 points gap and a big goal difference advantage.

Bournemouth - The same Bournemouth we ran riot over? They've no James Henry on loan anymore. Though he is a player perhaps we should be looking to loan now from Reading. They've only got Max Gradel on loan at current havent they??

My point is Rocky, there is always a team or two that gets dragged right into it and whilst our away form is a bonus that's all it is until we start winning at home. IMO if we do not bring in the desired quality I can see us flirting about in the bottom 6 or 7, the teams down there traditionally hit purple patches, look at Orient last season, everyone thought they were dead and buried at one point. Look how Bradford dropped like a stone or in previous seasons Grimsby and Rushden. We are not too good to go down and are probably one or two injuries away from our season being turned on is head.

'Go and watch united'?

You prat.

Teams above us are bringing in decent additions. Certainly not at the bottom - bar possibly the two at Cheltenham who when you look at the rest of the squad, it doesnt pose you much of a threat.

Shez's priority now we are at bare bones is to make sure bigger clubs dont swoop in, ala like they're trying with Trotman.

Not at all. There are mates of mine from games who post on here who think the same. The difference is that they can actually put forward their point better (as has yourself) compared to the other one. That's the difference between being called and actually being able to have a debate on the issue without getting childish.

Well i do believe you started it all with your childish 'ark at her' post,if you dont like it odnt dish it out,end of topic.

If he wants to voice his opinion let him. That's the problem with a lot of our fans, anyone dares to say anything different they're told to sod off and watch United. Suppose I better go too, 'cos I agree with some of the things he says? I'm sure many others do too its just they haven't the balls to post what they REALLY think for fear of upsetting their cyber buddies!

It's not opinion though. It's slagging the owners off for no reason by saying that they are only in it for the money. Yes they are eventually but they want to provide a self sufficient club without breaking the bank. If that's all they were in it for, they wouldn't have ploughed millions into the club over the years.

This isn't fantasy football. We need to run the club as a business to ensure future survival. The only way round that is to get a billionaire in who want's to throw the money around and use the club as a plaything.

The thing is though- they are putting a lot of money into the club and have stated there is more for the right people. Then they get accused of only being in it for the money. If I was only in something for money, one things for sure......it wouldn't be a football club! :D

well,

1.i pay good money and am more than entitled to my opinion thanks.

2 the owners WERE going to leave the club if they didnt get their way.as has been posted their dummies came out with the porter saga as well,what was it? oh we might have to consider our future,

Anyway,time for a rest.

If T3A's wouldnt have got their way with that issue within 5 years the club would have pretty much ceased to exist or been further in the brown stuff than we've ever been. With or without the owners.

Why do you think so many people turned up to hear the verdict?? Why so many people marched before the Vale game??

My point is Rocky, there is always a team or two that gets dragged right into it and whilst our away form is a bonus that's all it is until we start winning at home. IMO if we do not bring in the desired quality I can see us flirting about in the bottom 6 or 7, the teams down there traditionally hit purple patches, look at Orient last season, everyone thought they were dead and buried at one point. Look how Bradford dropped like a stone or in previous seasons Grimsby and Rushden. We are not too good to go down and are probably one or two injuries away from our season being turned on is head.

There certainly is a side in most divisions who come from out of nowhere and there is certainly no reason why we couldnt be any different. The same can be said for the opposite side of the league in promotion. Blackpool for example have done it in League 2 and League 1, coming from nowhere to going up. Tranmere with all the problems they have at the minute - injury problems, off the field problems are in a more worrying position of being that club than us. Bar Swansea away. We have pretty much played all the teams up top, bar the odd home game against Carlisle and Orient. We've hardly got the most difficult run in of fixtures left compared to others down at the bottom.

I dont expect us to be challenging. Infact I dont think we'll do anything this season - lower middle half and be left with it till the summer.

If T3A's wouldnt have got their way with that issue within 5 years the club would have pretty much ceased to exist or been further in the brown stuff than we've ever been. With or without the owners.

Why do you think so many people turned up to hear the verdict?? Why so many people marched before the Vale game??

There certainly is a side in most divisions who come from out of nowhere and there is certainly no reason why we couldnt be any different. The same can be said for the opposite side of the league in promotion. Blackpool for example have done it in League 2 and League 1, coming from nowhere to going up. Tranmere with all the problems they have at the minute - injury problems, off the field problems are in a more worrying position of being that club than us. Bar Swansea away. We have pretty much played all the teams up top, bar the odd home game against Carlisle and Orient. We've hardly got the most difficult run in of fixtures left compared to others down at the bottom.

I dont expect us to be challenging. Infact I dont think we'll do anything this season - lower middle half and be left with it till the summer.

Look at our run in after the Swansea game last season.......................we thought we'd done the hard work then and look what happened.................................

It's not opinion though. It's slagging the owners off for no reason by saying that they are only in it for the money. Yes they are eventually but they want to provide a self sufficient club without breaking the bank. If that's all they were in it for, they wouldn't have ploughed millions into the club over the years.

This isn't fantasy football. We need to run the club as a business to ensure future survival. The only way round that is to get a billionaire in who want's to throw the money around and use the club as a plaything.

The thing is though- they are putting a lot of money into the club and have stated there is more for the right people. Then they get accused of only being in it for the money. If I was only in something for money, one things for sure......it wouldn't be a football club! :D

Good job they arent in for the football club then,they were ALWAYS after the land,IMO of course.

Live up to yopur name and hit the prozac fella! JESUS, :censored: it get the valium while you're at it. Oh by the way your glass IS half empty too. :grin:

Did people not think maybe that TTA were playing the political game ever so slightly by putting out the gloomiest prognosis for the club if the development got binned? I doubt we'd have had the council all worked up, MPs getting involved, 17,000 marchers and so on if they'd said, "never mind, we'll just foot the bill ourselves."

I will immediately admit that at the very start of the season l thought that the additions to the squad would almost guarantee our position in the top quarter of the league, and that anything less than playoffs would have been a bit of a puzzle.

So for five months l have been sat here scratching my head wondering why, just why, we haven't clicked.

Now my job is not to manage a football club with league status. But l know a chap whose job it is.

If l was to be somewhat critical l could ask the question " for nearly five months it should have been fairly obvious to a professional that what we had ( for whatever reason ) was not good enough. That's five months in which you have to assess the situation, identify the players that you want, take initial soundings, ie: Mr Agent how much does you bloke want in extortionate wages, and in effect get yourself prepared for the January transfer window ". It does, afterall, come round once a year on a regular basis and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

If you read the comments coming out of BP since the start of January, you could be forgiven for thinking that the squad deficiencies has only become apparent to management since the first of the month, when it has been blindingly obvious for some considerable time.

It's the lack of preparation for activity in the January window that l find surprising, and indeed worrying, in that it appears to continue the same trend that surfaced exactly at this time last year. Someone says he has learnt lessons - but l wonder.

Did people not think maybe that TTA were playing the political game ever so slightly by putting out the gloomiest prognosis for the club if the development got binned? I doubt we'd have had the council all worked up, MPs getting involved, 17,000 marchers and so on if they'd said, "never mind, we'll just foot the bill ourselves."

Not even ever so slightly.

I quote once again from the email I received from Alan Hardy during the campaigning against the Planning Committee:

"So far it has cost the owners about £11m to keep the club going and to buy back the land.

Obviously they would like to get some of that back if there was anything left over when we had finished redeveloping the stadium, but the stadium would be the priority.

At present it looks like the revenue form the sale of the residential land would only cover the cost of the redevelopment so it is unlikely that there will be anything left for them to take a 'profit'."

So that's £11m and increasing by £800,000/£900,000 per year, plus the redevelopment costs estimated to total £80m (plus inflation). We're talking TTA here - not the Fairy Godfather that is Roman Abramovich!

As an addition to my post above, can l ask that you give thought to the Bertrand situation, and the many post 1st January statements that we need a left back.

Management knew the exact date on which Bertrands loan would expire. Is it too much to ask of management that in the weeks leading up to 01.01.08 enquiries could have been made of Chelsea along the lines of " how about letting us have this kid until the end of the season ".

There are of course three answers and one other :

(1) No

(2) Maybe, don't know

(3) Yes

and

(4) No response.

In the event of 1,2 or 3, would it not have been wise / good management to have undertaken some forward planning / identification of a possible replacement, so that within a fairly short period of Chelsea taking Bertrand back, at least we knew the target to replace him.

Why is it, that we always appear to be caught on the hop, and situations catch us by surprise.

Good post,much better than the original one,hopefully some investment in the team will be coming.(if it isn;t then they can whistle,i aint paying stupid money to a club with no apparent ambition-unless your into property of course)

These clump of shamelessly cobbled together words could be one of the most dissapointing posts I have ever read, or in fact, heard from any Oldham Athletic supporter, in all my days of supporting this club...

I am actually quite astounded this has been said, and I would really love to know your definition of Ambition?? My definition of ambition is a small club, from a small town, wanting to play good football, and in the process probably get into a respectable position in the championship - a division in which they will more than likely have one of the smallest support in the division, as fans are still so apathetic that they cant be bothered when they can listed to peter beagrie get thier supposed clubs players names wong on snapshot reports... ambition??? for gods sake, if we lived on our means we would be already relegated by now and be having local derby's against stockport, bury and rochdale....

for me, ambition is having some blind modicom of faith that the fans will stop spouting such drivel and support thier club through thick and thin, and appreciate the ambition, of saving a bancrupt club from oblivion, with supporters who have no right to ask them to constantly shell out thousands of pounds a week for no personal reason... with ambition to say they want to take the club to the championship, and build them a new stadium, and sign players of the quality of Hughes, and Davies, and have a go at getting players like KK and Clarke - when clubs who have similar support to us - ie. cheltenham, Vale and bournemouth have to scrabble around for cast off journeymen who might just keep them in this division...

Ambition these days for a club the size of ours is having the faith that something better is round the corner... and trying your bloody hardest to achieve this... every damn person at oldham is doing this... I'm sorry this just isnt good enough for you - tell you what save your £15 plus a week, because I have a feeling nothing Oldham do will ever fulfil your ambition - cos I bloody bet when we get into the Championship, which we will, you will claim that the club is still showing no ambition.... and we should be the only club in the Premiership who get 6000 fans ever week....

We are a small club, from a small town, who has no right to deserve the owners we have, who for me are showing ambition just keeping the club afloat and punching above our financial weight.....which we are.... I go to Oldham because I love this team not because I want ambition... unfortunately in this day and age surviving and competing is all I hope for.... why dont you go and ask luton fans about ambition.....

Right... off for a lie down....

These clump of shamelessly cobbled together words could be one of the most dissapointing posts I have ever read, or in fact, heard from any Oldham Athletic supporter, in all my days of supporting this club...

I am actually quite astounded this has been said, and I would really love to know your definition of Ambition?? My definition of ambition is a small club, from a small town, wanting to play good football, and in the process probably get into a respectable position in the championship - a division in which they will more than likely have one of the smallest support in the division, as fans are still so apathetic that they cant be bothered when they can listed to peter beagrie get thier supposed clubs players names wong on snapshot reports... ambition??? for gods sake, if we lived on our means we would be already relegated by now and be having local derby's against stockport, bury and rochdale....

for me, ambition is having some blind modicom of faith that the fans will stop spouting such drivel and support thier club through thick and thin, and appreciate the ambition, of saving a bancrupt club from oblivion, with supporters who have no right to ask them to constantly shell out thousands of pounds a week for no personal reason... with ambition to say they want to take the club to the championship, and build them a new stadium, and sign players of the quality of Hughes, and Davies, and have a go at getting players like KK and Clarke - when clubs who have similar support to us - ie. cheltenham, Vale and bournemouth have to scrabble around for cast off journeymen who might just keep them in this division...

Ambition these days for a club the size of ours is having the faith that something better is round the corner... and trying your bloody hardest to achieve this... every damn person at oldham is doing this... I'm sorry this just isnt good enough for you - tell you what save your £15 plus a week, because I have a feeling nothing Oldham do will ever fulfil your ambition - cos I bloody bet when we get into the Championship, which we will, you will claim that the club is still showing no ambition.... and we should be the only club in the Premiership who get 6000 fans ever week....

We are a small club, from a small town, who has no right to deserve the owners we have, who for me are showing ambition just keeping the club afloat and punching above our financial weight.....which we are.... I go to Oldham because I love this team not because I want ambition... unfortunately in this day and age surviving and competing is all I hope for.... why dont you go and ask luton fans about ambition.....

Right... off for a lie down....

Great post!

What is scary for me is that this "then they can whistle, i aint paying stupid money to a club with no apparent ambition-unless your into property of course" attitude indicates only the tip of the iceberg that represents the Oldham public who lost the Faith many years ago.

Maybe time will convince them........................maybe they don't want to be convinced. :disappointed:

Great post!

What is scary for me is that this "then they can whistle, i aint paying stupid money to a club with no apparent ambition-unless your into property of course" attitude indicates only the tip of the iceberg that represents the Oldham public who lost the Faith many years ago.

Maybe time will convince them........................maybe they don't want to be convinced. :disappointed:

maybe they compare us to man.utd and are mad in thinking we could be as big