Signing today..

Great post!

Maybe time will convince them........................maybe they don't want to be convinced. :disappointed:

Unfortunately Diego - I am 100% convinced after posts such as THAT it is more than definitely the latter.... i'm looking forward to that beer in the Bell already!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These clump of shamelessly cobbled together words could be one of the most dissapointing posts I have ever read, or in fact, heard from any Oldham Athletic supporter, in all my days of supporting this club...

I am actually quite astounded this has been said, and I would really love to know your definition of Ambition?? My definition of ambition is a small club, from a small town, wanting to play good football, and in the process probably get into a respectable position in the championship - a division in which they will more than likely have one of the smallest support in the division, as fans are still so apathetic that they cant be bothered when they can listed to peter beagrie get thier supposed clubs players names wong on snapshot reports... ambition??? for gods sake, if we lived on our means we would be already relegated by now and be having local derby's against stockport, bury and rochdale....

for me, ambition is having some blind modicom of faith that the fans will stop spouting such drivel and support thier club through thick and thin, and appreciate the ambition, of saving a bancrupt club from oblivion, with supporters who have no right to ask them to constantly shell out thousands of pounds a week for no personal reason... with ambition to say they want to take the club to the championship, and build them a new stadium, and sign players of the quality of Hughes, and Davies, and have a go at getting players like KK and Clarke - when clubs who have similar support to us - ie. cheltenham, Vale and bournemouth have to scrabble around for cast off journeymen who might just keep them in this division...

Ambition these days for a club the size of ours is having the faith that something better is round the corner... and trying your bloody hardest to achieve this... every damn person at oldham is doing this... I'm sorry this just isnt good enough for you - tell you what save your £15 plus a week, because I have a feeling nothing Oldham do will ever fulfil your ambition - cos I bloody bet when we get into the Championship, which we will, you will claim that the club is still showing no ambition.... and we should be the only club in the Premiership who get 6000 fans ever week....

We are a small club, from a small town, who has no right to deserve the owners we have, who for me are showing ambition just keeping the club afloat and punching above our financial weight.....which we are.... I go to Oldham because I love this team not because I want ambition... unfortunately in this day and age surviving and competing is all I hope for.... why dont you go and ask luton fans about ambition.....

Right... off for a lie down....

I think that's the best post I've ever read on OWTB so far! But no doubt, someone will be along shortly to call you a Superfan or to say you're shouting at someone who is still currently going and until he stops, you've no right to say the above. Coz that's exactly what I got told on JKLatics when I said something very similar to someone who said last season "I'm here while it lasts" (he knows who he is, especially if he's got the same username on here as he had on JKL)......problem is, it's shocking that it's within them to say....sod it, I'm off, sod my money being important to the club, leave it to the rest and I'll be back when it suits....and when they've gone, who do you say it to? Are they within earshot or bothered? Are they :censored:!

Well said again anyway!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Great post!

What is scary for me is that this "then they can whistle, i aint paying stupid money to a club with no apparent ambition-unless your into property of course" attitude indicates only the tip of the iceberg that represents the Oldham public who lost the Faith many years ago.

Maybe time will convince them........................maybe they don't want to be convinced. :disappointed:

ERM,i ve been going BP since 1981 and i can assure you thats a long time.The difference between then and now is i paid1.20 to get in to watch average football,now i pay 10 times that and the football is gash.PLEASE explain to me why i should continue to flush my money down the bog when the club is clearly not even capable attracting third rate players?

These clump of shamelessly cobbled together words could be one of the most dissapointing posts I have ever read, or in fact, heard from any Oldham Athletic supporter, in all my days of supporting this club...

I am actually quite astounded this has been said, and I would really love to know your definition of Ambition?? My definition of ambition is a small club, from a small town, wanting to play good football, and in the process probably get into a respectable position in the championship - a division in which they will more than likely have one of the smallest support in the division, as fans are still so apathetic that they cant be bothered when they can listed to peter beagrie get thier supposed clubs players names wong on snapshot reports... ambition??? for gods sake, if we lived on our means we would be already relegated by now and be having local derby's against stockport, bury and rochdale....

for me, ambition is having some blind modicom of faith that the fans will stop spouting such drivel and support thier club through thick and thin, and appreciate the ambition, of saving a bancrupt club from oblivion, with supporters who have no right to ask them to constantly shell out thousands of pounds a week for no personal reason... with ambition to say they want to take the club to the championship, and build them a new stadium, and sign players of the quality of Hughes, and Davies, and have a go at getting players like KK and Clarke - when clubs who have similar support to us - ie. cheltenham, Vale and bournemouth have to scrabble around for cast off journeymen who might just keep them in this division...

Ambition these days for a club the size of ours is having the faith that something better is round the corner... and trying your bloody hardest to achieve this... every damn person at oldham is doing this... I'm sorry this just isnt good enough for you - tell you what save your £15 plus a week, because I have a feeling nothing Oldham do will ever fulfil your ambition - cos I bloody bet when we get into the Championship, which we will, you will claim that the club is still showing no ambition.... and we should be the only club in the Premiership who get 6000 fans ever week....

We are a small club, from a small town, who has no right to deserve the owners we have, who for me are showing ambition just keeping the club afloat and punching above our financial weight.....which we are.... I go to Oldham because I love this team not because I want ambition... unfortunately in this day and age surviving and competing is all I hope for.... why dont you go and ask luton fans about ambition.....

Brilliant post! I had been wading through this thread, getting more and more depressed by some of the opinions expressed (let the reader understand) and suddenly a flash of light. Someone talking common sense, good Oldham common sense.

Well done Bigfin. You put your brain in gear before engaging finger with keyboard. Thanks for the wisdom. Wait now for the ill-informed backlash (oops too late; see above).

I hope you enjoyed the lie-down.

Reason for edit: ill-informed backlash

:cardinal:

Edited by The Chaplain

As an addition to my post above, can l ask that you give thought to the Bertrand situation, and the many post 1st January statements that we need a left back.

Management knew the exact date on which Bertrands loan would expire. Is it too much to ask of management that in the weeks leading up to 01.01.08 enquiries could have been made of Chelsea along the lines of " how about letting us have this kid until the end of the season ".

There are of course three answers and one other :

(1) No

(2) Maybe, don't know

(3) Yes

and

(4) No response.

In the event of 1,2 or 3, would it not have been wise / good management to have undertaken some forward planning / identification of a possible replacement, so that within a fairly short period of Chelsea taking Bertrand back, at least we knew the target to replace him.

Why is it, that we always appear to be caught on the hop, and situations catch us by surprise.

Bertrand was going to a championship team in january we all knew that

ERM,i ve been going BP since 1981 and i can assure you thats a long time.The difference between then and now is i paid1.20 to get in to watch average football,now i pay 10 times that and the football is gash.PLEASE explain to me why i should continue to flush my money down the bog when the club is clearly not even capable attracting third rate players?

I couldn't begin to explain what 'keep the Faith' means - it's something you do but can't explain to someone who doesn't.

That brought a tear to my eye,reading that great post and Vera Duckworth passing away at the same time

The transfer window is still open. A bit early to say "the club is clearly not even capable attracting third rate players". I would expect us to be looking at the loan market rather than permanent signings, especially if we are looking for a quality replacement for Kilkenny. Higher division clubs may not be prepared to loan players out until they know exactly who is staying and who is going. I would expect a loan signing late on in the window. Surely you can't believe that we won't bring anyone in during the window?

With regard to ambition, it is my belief that all a club of our size can realistically hope for is steady year-on-year improvement. With the right signings I still feel we can achieve that this season. If we fall short, it won't be a 'disaster', merely a setback. Since the Summer of 2003 relegation no longer holds any great fear for me. Survival of the club is what matters, and if we can improve steadily, year-on-year then that is a bonus.

Not having a pop at shez, but he should have really kept his rant to himself on Saturday. Just makes everyone think something is iminent wen it obviously wasn't. So the threat of changes is just nonesense and the under performers from last week will breathe a sigh of relief..... Oh well 6 points it is?

Not having a pop at shez, but he should have really kept his rant to himself on Saturday. Just makes everyone think something is iminent wen it obviously wasn't. So the threat of changes is just nonesense and the under performers from last week will breathe a sigh of relief..... Oh well 6 points it is?

shouldn't you be on the doors eddie :grin:

Watching latics aint about logic we can all now get to citeh with their sugar daddy if we want but it is not the same and never could be. I'm with bigfin and diego on this you keep the faith...nobody is forcing you to attend BP.

For what its worth I believe we are at the start of a new era, and with the right people in charge. OK the league position is disappointing but Leeds, Everton wow what a week that was. And compare OAFC over the years with say Rochdale, Stockport, Bury, Tramere, Gillingham etc. etc....doesn't look so bad now does it ?

KTF

So why wasn't the replacement identified before he went ? It's as if forward planning is an unknown strategy to the OAFC management.

parigby, just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Who's this league manager friend of yours then? You seem to be indirectly implying he might be capable of doing a better job?

4 o clock in the morning jerzy dudek....and your post is still bobbins!! get a grip, wake up...or bog off fella!!!

This club is and will always attract what it does.....a small minority of very loyal, football following, not glory hunting, PROPER fans!!

That's why oafc is the best club in the world!!!...

Night god bless!!!! :sleeping::chubb::chubb::chubb:

:OWTB1: GO MARCHING IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest sheridans_world

You dont want to pull the 'ive been going to BP since X year' card because there will always be people who have gone longer and paid more money more often than yourself.

Give it another fifty years (yes fifty) and you might be able to claim some sort of position in those stakes. Until then, leave it out.

Excellent post, spot on, says it all really.

If he wants to voice his opinion let him. That's the problem with a lot of our fans, anyone dares to say anything different they're told to sod off and watch United. Suppose I better go too, 'cos I agree with some of the things he says? I'm sure many others do too its just they haven't the balls to post what they REALLY think for fear of upsetting their cyber buddies!

Here here... My head is still reeling from the personal attacks made in the name of Latics. All for saying I was fed up with the way a certain player was performing. It takes all sorts to support a football club (Yes I did say support) but very few to drive those supporters to places like Old Trafford, City of Manchester Stadium, Town Square Shopping centre etc etc... Make your point. State your argument but leave the personal stuff aside... :argue::argue::argue::icon_peace:

A funnier man than me once said

"Opinions are like arrisholes: We all have one."

After reading through this thread, and the strong opinions (all valid) expressed therein, I got to thinking;

"What do I, as a Latics supporter, want from my (note the possesive) club?"

Years ago, when I was younger and more stupid than today, cresting on the wave, I'd have said

"Tell mi Dad, mi Dad

To pack the suitcases up

We're going to Yo-u-rup

Tell mi Dad, mi Dad"

Nowadays, for me, it's less poetic, more straightforward, a 1,2,3; elements of which have been expressed by all on this thread;

1. Security. My club is part of me, and the town. Security/survival comes first.

2. Entertainment. It's footie, to be enjoyed.

3. Progress. For too long, it's been 1 step forward, two steps back for Latics, and I'd assume everyone agrees this is a God-awful League. A return to our historic home of Division One (in old money) would boost the town, the club and the populus no end.

Those are my three hopes for Latics, but as stated at the start of the post, though we share the commonality of supporting Latics, opinions do differ. Mebbe someone more tech-savvy than me might want to start a poll. Would make interesting reading, for sure.

Cheers,

KC

A funnier man than me once said

"Opinions are like arrisholes: We all have one."

After reading through this thread, and the strong opinions (all valid) expressed therein, I got to thinking;

"What do I, as a Latics supporter, want from my (note the possesive) club?"

Years ago, when I was younger and more stupid than today, cresting on the wave, I'd have said

"Tell mi Dad, mi Dad

To pack the suitcases up

We're going to Yo-u-rup

Tell mi Dad, mi Dad"

Nowadays, for me, it's less poetic, more straightforward, a 1,2,3; elements of which have been expressed by all on this thread;

1. Security. My club is part of me, and the town. Security/survival comes first.

2. Entertainment. It's footie, to be enjoyed.

3. Progress. For too long, it's been 1 step forward, two steps back for Latics, and I'd assume everyone agrees this is a God-awful League. A return to our historic home of Division One (in old money) would boost the town, the club and the populus no end.

Those are my three hopes for Latics, but as stated at the start of the post, though we share the commonality of supporting Latics, opinions do differ. Mebbe someone more tech-savvy than me might want to start a poll. Would make interesting reading, for sure.

Cheers,

KC

Excellent comments and sentiments KC. I agree heartily. There are a couple of points I would like to add. The Tics play some of the best football in this league which wouldn't be lost in the Championship. Anyone who saw the second half away in the cup at Doncaster must agree with that. Some of the football played in this division has impressed me no end. It's inconsistency which frustrates me. The squad we have should be sufficient for League 1. It just needs tweaking.

We also need to improve our home form and the sooner the playing staff and management realise that success on the pitch will encourage the fans this will come. Yes I know that we should shout and sing on the terraces but it is honestly difficult to do so when you can see the potential on the pitch but not the application.....

I stand up for forty minutes before every game in BP tingling with anticipation and excitement, shouting down at Chaddy the Owl and the players to get us gee'ed up, but all to often after twenty minutes into the game I feel deflated. I don't want to feel that way but I just do. It's the suffering that comes with being a true Supporter I suppose. I then come on here to debate the issues of the day only for some other Supporter to attempt to claim the high ground and try to tell me not to bother coming to BP because I am obviously not a real supporter.

It will be a sad day when every person on here trots out the same (I am the only real supporter crap) tale.

KTF

Edited by happyterryb

Wise words KC.

As always, the strength of expression in a thread like this displays the strength of feeling for the club.

And differing opinions or not, when the club's very existence is threatened, all the real fans forget those opinions and work together for one end.

Then, when it's back to football we start bickering again. :grin:

I've had some strong things to say myself, and that's because I really cannot understand the attitudes of some. Whether that's because at the ripe old age of forty I've become too entrenched in my own views, or just don't understand the generation below me I don't know.

What I do know is that, as KC, my top priority for the club is survival and security. So my apologies when I object strongly to opinions and rants suggesting things that (in my view at least) would threaten that.

Watching Latics over the years is like being on the big dipper, some can't stand the bumps and prefer a nice armchair TV ride, but others take the the ups and downs in their stride and keep coming back for more live action.

The transfer window is still open. A bit early to say "the club is clearly not even capable attracting third rate players". I would expect us to be looking at the loan market rather than permanent signings, especially if we are looking for a quality replacement for Kilkenny. Higher division clubs may not be prepared to loan players out until they know exactly who is staying and who is going. I would expect a loan signing late on in the window. Surely you can't believe that we won't bring anyone in during the window?

With regard to ambition, it is my belief that all a club of our size can realistically hope for is steady year-on-year improvement. With the right signings I still feel we can achieve that this season. If we fall short, it won't be a 'disaster', merely a setback. Since the Summer of 2003 relegation no longer holds any great fear for me. Survival of the club is what matters, and if we can improve steadily, year-on-year then that is a bonus.

If we get relegated we will not be back (we never bounce back) and the club will not survive long-term.

This club is and will always attract what it does.....a small minority of very loyal, football following, not glory hunting, PROPER fans!!

That's why oafc is the best club in the world!!!...

:OWTB1: GO MARCHING IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny-according to half the posters on here and on Rivals, this club attracts nobody apart from moaners.

Whilst I am grateful to TTA , my gratitude has waned a little due to the constant public dummy spitting over Killen, Porter, and The Council, "we're packing our ball up and going home" type comments can only wash so many times and play on fans loyalty and conscious so many times before tedium sets in. Yes we are grateful but to constantly wheel out the "shut up, they saved us, so you're not allowed to criticise the club's transfer policy" is laughable. Make no bones about it in a months time without quality additions we will be fighting a relegation battle. The parallels with Ritchie's first season and Talbot's season are there to see. The home form is dire, the away form will fade, not even Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea win away every week and the clubs at the bottom are starting to gain ground as well as actually signing players.

As I said last weekend, the only constant at this club is the fans, if we want to criticise we can, constructively of course and I feel it is totally justified given our lack of success in bringing players in (For the 3rd January in sucession might I add) As i said before if they can offer KK silly money do it for other similar targets instead of drip-feeding crap to the Chronicle about wages. The wages are over-inflated, they know that, we know that, the Chron knows that blah blah feckin blah, instead of whingeing lets see some business acumen and wheeling and dealing to get the right players in, that'll ensure my club doesn't face another relegation battle

Best post in the thread.

Frustration at lack of progress in footballing terms is not disloyalty. The soft totalitarianism that some would like to prevail on Latics boards is tiresome, while the sycophancy towards TTA (yes-I too am as grateful as the next fan) is nauseating.