Cleveland Taylor - worth a look?

Taylor's played the majority of his career on the left, that makes him a left winger in my book.

He's naturally right footed which makes him a right winger playing out of position in my book.

There's doubts we'll see Liddell in an Oldham shirt again

I've not really seen those doubts aired. Believe me, when he's fit which should be around March he'll be back in playing. Like I say, he'll probably be released in the summer (unless he accepts a vastly reduced contract on less money) so then may be the time when we may need a right winger.

Smalley has a long long way to go before he can hold down a first team spot ahead of other players.

Perhaps, but he's done OK apart from a couple of games for me. But he's still cover, on the right which makes it an area where we're not really short in. Or do you just like arguing with people?

The bottom line is, I'd class up front, midfield and left-back/left wing as much higher priorities to strengthen before the right wing. If Cleveland was left sided I reckon he'd be decent for us, but it ain't the case.

True he seems to dismiss our lack of talent on the wings and would prefer a solid centre. God knows why, maybe he thinks wingers are pretty ineffective at this level...i understand it to a point the wingers we can attract are hardly world beaters bar the odd shuker/hoolahan on their day.

I was kind of half watching a DVD of highlights from the 88/89 and 89/90 seasons (thanks Optional) whilst getting ready to go out yesterday and I remarked to the missus just how many headed goals we scored in those 2 seasons. There were dozens of the buggers, and she pointed out that it was simply down to the amount of crosses we put into the box from both flanks.

Of course I realised that this was the case when I thought about those games and how we used to play but it wasn't half a stark reality check, simply seeing the amount of chances we tucked away from crosses into the box!

Get a couple of half decent wingers and and we'll be going places.

Edited by danoafc

Get a couple of half decent wingers and and we'll be going places.

If I can see that and you can Dan, why can't our manager, who insists on putting sqaure pegs in round holes? It worked well with Charlton/Taylor & Eardley/Liddell last season, for the first time in years we were playing EXPANSIVE fooball, a striker who held it up got it wide and endeavoured to get on the end of the expected cross. Now we have two strikers constantly having to move into wide positions to compensate for a lack of width and two out of three midfielders who seem loathe to cross the halfway line. Its not hard Shez lets go back to doing what we did last season, BUT we need him to decide which two of the three midfielders are his first choice and stick with that. Then he needs to a sign a big bugger to play up front who can actually hold the thing up and win headers in the oppos box as well as signing a winger. Balls to a midfield playmaker, didn't have one of them on the vids you watched did we Dan? :wink:

10 days, tick, tick, tick

Edited by oafcprozac

If I can see that and you can Dan, why can't our manager, who insists on putting sqaure pegs in round holes? It worked well with Charlton/Taylor & Eardley/Liddell last season, for the first time in years we were playing EXPANSIVE fooball, a striker who held it up got it wide and endeavoured to get on the end of the expected cross. Now we have two strikers constantly having to move into wide positions to compensate for a lack of width and two out of three midfielders who seem loathe to cross the halfway line. Its not hard Shez lets go back to doing what we did last season, BUT we need him to decide which two of the three midfielders are his first choice and stick with that. Then he needs to a sign a big bugger to play up front who can actually hold the thing up and win headers in the oppos box as well as signing a winger. Balls to a midfield playmaker, didn't have one of them on the vids you watched did we Dan? :wink:

Quite right!

Yard dogs!

YARD DOGS!

YAAARD DOGS!

YAAAARD DOGS!!! :applause1:

Edited by danoafc

If we CAN get a big bugger to play up front with Hughesy, would love to see Taylor marauding down the RIGHT (did brill vs Walsall 1st half) and Davies moved onto left wing. Think Davies would be a nuisance if given clear instructions where he is playing - there is the width we need.

Hmmmm....seems my signature that I had back in October for a few months is being discussed :grin: Which ended with "sort the wings out and watch us rise up the league"....shame Shez doesn't want to bring in a winger. But totally agree with everything you've said. The main thing is that wings only work with one on either side...pulling defenders apart from others and FW and attacking CM's the space created....flying in for goals. The wilderness years with Reid (LW), Adams (2nd time - RW) and Eyres (LW) where we had one wing but not the other showed how bad an attack was with imbalanced wings. Then when we had Eyres and Low, we had for the first time in years we had 2 functioning wings. Worked wonders.

PS FMS....I'd be looking to bring in someone for both wings TBH. No need to air my Lids views and as we both expect, he'll be off in the summer and a replacement is there now to bed in for next season. Could be a very shrewed move to go for him now. TBH, I'd also be looking for someone who could cover both LB or LW. But then again......we let one of those go in the summer. Oh well....