Fred Ogden R.I.P.

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron reports that former Athletic goalkeeper Fred Ogden – one of the club’s finest servants in the immediate post-war era – has died at the age of 82.

The Oldham Athletic Complete Record book tells us that Fred was born in Oldham in 1925. His career started at Edge Lane Boys' Club and he was at BP from 1941-42, turning professional on Christmas Day 1947. He made his debut for Latics v Bradford city on 10th April 1948, going on to make 156 appearances as the regular first team keeper until September 1951, when he fractured a collar bone at Valley Parade. He signed for Chesterfield on 13th June 1955 and rejoined Latics on 19th March 1956. Then he moved to Nelson on 10th July 1956, returning yet again to BP in 1957 after Johnny Bollands was transferred to Sunderland.

Lightly built for his position, Fred was agile and quick on his feet. A keen all-round sportsman, he also played cricket for Oldham. Eventually he was reinstated as an amateur footballer and played wing-half for Buckley & Taylor in the Oldham Amateur League. He also took charge of Latics Juniors and then became Reserves' trainer to April 1972.

Fred's son Chris followed in his dad's footsteps as Latics keeper from 1969 to 1978.

Fred was the goalie when I first started going to Latics and I remember him well. Thanks for all you did for us Fred - rest in peace. Condolences to Chris and the family.

My Dad actually worked with Fred at Buckley and Taylor, in fact during my Dad's apprenticeship Fred was his Foreman. My Dad was pretty awe struck working with one of his Latics hero's but said Fred was a really down to earth guy who was always willing to talk about Latics with anyone, although he stresses not in a flash way. Fred was also a keen Tennis player and was a member Fearnley Tennis club which was located behing the Rifle Range.

My Dad recalls two incidents of note, one was against Wrexham when Fred was involved in a heavy clash with a burly Wrexham centre forward called Jack(?) Boothway which left Fred with a broken thumb. In the days before substitues this meant Fred had to play the majority of the game at inside forward, and with him being an all round athelete the team was no weaker for this (except for the fact the full-back Tommy Bell had to cover for Fred in goal). The other was when Latics were thrashed 1-7 at home by Newcastle in the FA Cup, Fred came racing out of his goal to intercept a through ball to (Wor) Jackie Milburn, Milburn flinched at the 50:50 challenge and patted Fred on the head as he ran past and said something to him. Years later my Dad asked Fred what Milburn had said to him as he ran by, the reply was "We've scored enough today, I'll let you have that one!"

Condolences to all family and friends, RIP Fred.

Wow....a good read that D_S....I must admit, I could do with reading more about the years before my time. Got the books, just not read enough of them. Fred Ogden gave a lot of his life to the club from what you say, even down to the juniors in the 70's. A legend of his time, I can imagine.

RIP Fred!

Like Diego, Fred was the No1 keeper when I first went to BP as a kid with my Dad. There wasn't much meat on him, but I remember him as a solid and fearless goalkeeper who served the club well in three separate spells. His son, Chris, was an excellent keeper too.

RIP Fred and condolences to all of your family.

My dad says he knew him a bit back in the day. When he was involved with the youth team, Fred let him play in a try-out game with other youngsters when he had only turned up to watch my uncle play.

He's quite upset about this news.

you go now fred from a corruptable world to an incorruptable one, R.I.P.

I've just spoken to my dad on the phone and he says that in the 1950's, Fred Ogden walked his cousin Myra home after a dance. He then asked her out on a date but Myra declined his advances because she was aware that he had a steady girlfriend. These footballers, they always were the same :wink:

R.I.P. Mr Ogden

2250379361_f77e8e2274_b.jpg

Can any of our older members name any of the other players from 1948?

I was only 4 when this was taken, but some of the players were still with Latics as I remember them in the early fifties. I think Billy Spurdle is two to Fred Ogden's left and Lewis Brook (who played at least once in every outfield position; there were 2 full backs, 3 half backs and 5 forwards in those days!!) is on the manager's (Billy Wootton?) right. Two to his right is Ray Haddington who had a kick like an exocet missile. If a shot of his missed the goal, the crowd parted to make way for the ball. I think on Ray's right, on the end of the front row, is Bill Naylor.

If I'm correct, this would have been the traditional "Blues v Reds" pre-season trial game. If so, I would imagine Alan Ball's Dad would be in there somewhere.

And wouldn't you just love us to go back to those traditional and "specific to Latics" blue and white shirts?

Thanks for the memory Diego, and rest in peace, Fred.