Liddell Staying ?

Noticed Shez`s comments on Official Site re Gregan and Liddell

" Andy and Sean can concentrate on getting their fitness back and looking to next season because they have both been out for a long time"

Looks to me as if Liddell must be being given a new contract, otherwise why make such a comment regarding next season.

I am not sitting on the fence on this one - I think Liddells legs have gone and whilst he can still put a decent ball into the box unfortunately he can`t get into position to do so anymore. I feel a nippy winger would be of more benefit - even Taylor or Smalley if they can learn to find a decent ball into the box regularly.

The money Liddell is on/would probably want to stay could be better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

Cue the instant backlash from the Liddell supporters!!!!!!!!

KTF

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
I am not sitting on the fence on this one - I think Liddells legs have gone and whilst he can still put a decent ball into the box unfortunately he can`t get into position to do so anymore.

Cue the instant backlash from the Liddell supporters!!!!!!!!

" How Very dare you !! "

370.jpg

"I" have already decided that he will stay for another year on a reduced contract,so I dont want to hear anymore talk of getting rid :wink:

I'm not his biggest fan, far from it, but i think we've missed him this season, Eardley & Taylor in particular.

Eards looks(looked) more comfortable with Liddell in front of him, offering an outlet ball, and constantly talking to him during games (from the paddock you could hear it all the time!)

Taylor benifited as we had an attacking option on the other flank, so everything didn't have to go to our (not a) left winger all the time, play could be stretched and space would open up for Taylor to get into as and when.

I think its a good thing if he's offered another year on a lower wage (with some rational pay as you play add's) - even if he's not a nailed on starter, he can / will make a difference from the bench - just like he did vs Swansea.

I agree, going past it a bit now, should be looking at being a sub if anything now, I believe hes one of the top earners for the club in the region of 2-3k pw, I hope he proves me wrong and continues his blinding crosses and good runs but I cant see it TBH

Smalley within a season will probs be excellent on the right, and I have conceded the fact that taylor will always be on the left, I believe though he can only get stronger there, when he has space to run or only one man to beat we always expect taylor to break away which says tons for the lad.

if we wish to improve, i dont think we can afford to get rid of anyone, the squad is to small as it is, if we are going to challenge next season we should keep the current squad which has a good base and add maybe 5 new players, if we sell and buy like for like we will find ourselves in the same position as last and this season. a squad which is thread bare, liddell will stay for one year and be more of a sqaud player.

agree but we have to sell players to have enough money to pay the wages of 5 more players, we could probably sign 1 maybe 2 new players without selling some one or getting rid of some one, Im getting transfer fever already! cant wait to find out who we sign at the end of the season!

Question then. If Liddell and Eardley are on the pitch at the same time and we get a penalty, who would you give it to? :mmm:

:thinking2:

lidds has never missed one in his career i dont think, and he has taken far more than eardley.

(i know neil has never missed either)

:tumbleweed:

Still waiting.... (i love that emoticon...)

:angry: what a waste of money and space in the Physio room...

I haven't looked into it BFL, but I would hazard a guess he isn't far off making the same number of appearances as your beloved Lee Hughes. Do the same 'waste of money and space' rules apply in his case too?

KtF,

Derek.

Guest oa_exile
I haven't looked into it BFL, but I would hazard a guess he isn't far off making the same number of appearances as your beloved Lee Hughes. Do the same 'waste of money and space' rules apply in his case too?

KtF,

Derek.

lol :grin: Good response Derek !

Lidds still has something to offer and unless Shez brings in a left sided midfielder so that (Derek's Mate ^_^ ) Taylor can go on the right then Lidds should have a one year contract.

On the back of that Smalley needs another year yet to develop , so next season he can play second fiddle to Lidds OR Taylor on the right hand side.

KtF,

Derek.

Nope - because in 1 game (take your pick - Bournemouth, Millwall, Southend, leeds, Everton.. etc.. etc) Lee Hughes contributed more than Andy liddell did in the last 18 months. My opinion on liddell is not based simply on whatever-number of games this season - its based on his slow decline to a very poor footballer, except when he has a static ball infront of him, or it is passed directly to him...

As opposed to Mr Hughes who will only get better, and has the excuse of his first season back after being out of the game for 3 years because of his injuries... Mr liddell will only get worse, and his injuries are bcause he is past it... ask anyone who knows me, and my criticism of Liddell started far before this season... even when he was waltzing around making Porter look good I still couldnt stand his style of play...he just adds nothing to the team for me... especially now eardly takes penalties... as does a certain Mr Hughes (both 100% for latics too methinks???)

... anyway.. there are many players who could contribute a million times more on the right than the crock that is Liddell.. smalley, for example - or perhaps the best right winger we have at the club Chris Taylor :wink:

lol :grin: Good response Derek !

Lidds still has something to offer and unless Shez brings in a left sided midfielder so that (Derek's Mate ^_^ ) Taylor can go on the right then Lidds should have a one year contract.

On the back of that Smalley needs another year yet to develop , so next season he can play second fiddle to Lidds OR Taylor on the right hand side.

Lids has got loads to offer IMO Exile.

Yeah, he has lost a couple of yards of pace, but for me he is still by far and away the best player at the club with the ball at his feet; and I still think that he could do a fine job as a playmaker in the middle.

I also suspect he isn't on the mega-bucks that many think he is. I would think his 3 year deal made him an affordable prospect for us as opposed to a 2 year deal that we wouldn't have been able to afford.

I have since checked the stats, 21 for Hughes, 18 for Lids (both including subs appearances). With 4 left it looks like Lids may have to give up his 'crock of the season' spot for Hughes after all.

KtF,

Derek.

Guest oa_exile
....its based on his slow decline to a very poor footballer, except when he has a static ball infront of him, or it is passed directly to him...

That is called covering the bases , he is either crap or not , dont just say a very poor footballer .... except .....

You have your opinion , poorly posted , but hey , you have your opinion.

That is called covering the bases , he is either crap or not , dont just say a very poor footballer .... except .....

Or perhaps he gets the ball passed directly to him because he gets into good positions?

KtF,

Derek.

Guest oa_exile
Lids has got loads to offer IMO Exile.

Yeah, he has lost a couple of yards of pace, but for me he is still by far and away the best player at the club with the ball at his feet; and I still think that he could do a fine job as a playmaker in the middle.

I also suspect he isn't on the mega-bucks that many think he is. I would think his 3 year deal made him an affordable prospect for us as opposed to a 2 year deal that we wouldn't have been able to afford.

I have since checked the stats, 21 for Hughes, 18 for Lids (both including subs appearances). With 4 left it looks like Lids may have to give up his 'crock of the season' spot for Hughes after all.

KtF,

Derek.

I have always been a supporter of Lidds , so this "has been" does not wash with me , agrre with what you posted (bold) ,he has something to offer for another season.

I do believe though he is in the top three or four earners at the Club and as i posted that needs to be looked at with his contract extension.

Guest oa_exile
Or perhaps he gets the ball passed directly to him because he gets into good positions?

KtF,

Derek.

What ? like dare i say , keeping out wide on the wing and even backtracking to recieve the ball in space ? :)

Thanks for that andy - i'll get the handbags out too in future...

What confusing about that? If the ball is static - Fine, if the ball is passed directly to his feet - Fine, if he has to move *shock horror* he is screwed

Does he offer any type of movement - No

Does he get into dangerous positions - No

Do we need him to take penalties anymore - No

Do we need him to take set pieces anymore - erm.... :wink:

Just doesnt offer enough to the team, never has, never will, it may be the type of football I want to see, but I would prefer a Samlley type player anyday on the wing... ad i'm sure there is a player out there who can take free kicks who can also move a little quicker than a grazing water buffalo when attempting to get into space..

Edited by BigfinLatic

He did very well for the ressies last night.

Picked out his passes well. I think he'd suit playing at the head of the pre season diamond again. Not really got the legs but his vision is there.

A lot said offer Stam a one year pay as you play deal and he's done alright this season. I'd offer Liddell the same. It's awkward as at times I have wondered do we need him but then I thought the same of Stam at times when he picked up yet another injury.

Thanks for that andy - i'll get the handbags out too in future...

What confusing about that? If the ball is static - Fine, if the ball is passed directly to his feet - Fine, if he has to move *shock horror* he is screwed

Does he offer any type of movement - No

Does he get into dangerous positions - No

Do we need him to take penalties anymore - No

Do we need him to take set pieces anymore - erm.... :wink:

Just doesnt offer enough to the team, never has, never will, it may be the type of football I want to see, but I would prefer a Samlley type player anyday on the wing... ad i'm sure there is a player out there who can take free kicks who can also move a little quicker than a grazing water buffalo when attempting to get into space..

I'm glad you have cleared that up. 16 assists last season were pointless then?

KtF,

Derek.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

I'm glad you have cleared that up. 16 assists last season were pointless then?

KtF,

Derek.

:sleeping:

Oh here we go.. I was waiting for that little gem to come back up.. we have discussed this time and time again... he got 16 assists in half a season then went Shocking, and was god awful for the last half of the season... except at brighton, where even i admit he played well... he has given us a season and a half of nothing... that is what I base my comments on - and I touched on this above, I even thought someone else could offer more when he was putting those crosses in..

I can see you are a man of facts Derek, and not watching when a player falls apart (or watching a good young player grow) - I wish it was different but I cant help but feel Liddell's best days are well behind him... you can cling on to historical data for all you want, but I cant change that i have seen a player in decline for 3 years... an indian summer of assists 18 months ago does little to sway that impression....

I'm sure Gemma will be along later. :wink:

I wouldn't want to disappoint :D

I reckon he will be given a new contract on reduced terms and rightly so. A mixture of Smalley and Lids on the right next season will be a very good combination. For me Taylor is not the answer, he's quick but there is hardly ever an end product whether he be playing on the right or left. Lids does a lot to help Eardley during the game and Smalley can learn a lot from him and i'm sure he will. His injuries have been due to wear and tear due to him having a long playing career during which he has played many games season after season, the operation was successful and he has had no problems with it since so there is no reason why the one he has just had should be any different. As for him having no pace, he never has had and hasn't stopped him playing at higher levels than this. If we have a play maker in midfield who will get the ball out to him and someone who is willing to get onto the end of his crosses then next season he will do ok and when we need someone with a bit of pace then Smalley will be able to come in.

If we can get someone with as much quality as him who is cheaper then fair enough but i very much doubt we can

Edited by Gemma06