May 1st Election Day

garcon

Election Day tomorrow!

If you've not voted by post already, get out there and VOTE!

It has quite rightly been said before that you should consider alot of important matters when deciding who to vote for. There's a big chance Labour will lose control of Oldham Council tomorrow night so every vote could be important.

But if you live in Royton South and still can't decide, just remember that as a Latics fan you could choose to do your bit to oust the councillor who spoke for the residents in planning committee last winter.... AND give Labour a bloody nose at the same time! BUT remember, a Conservative vote will be wasted - they'll gain a few due to there being no BNP candidate this time, but not enough.

Yes I'm biased - my Dad is a Lib Dem councillor. But my main message is this - whoever you support, whatever your reasons, there'sno reason not to use your vote. As I said - with the council in the balance you could actually make a difference!

totaly agree....i for one have given labour the bullet ...after thirty odd years of voting for them,i have finally smelled the coffee...look at our town to our little neighbours,ashton it's a bloody disgrace nothing for the kids to do ...i could go on and on but for me they can shove it where the sun never shine's ...as for the national party...pfffffff he ain't got a clue ala the abolition of the 10 p tax threshold...i wish that it was a general on may the first to oust the buffon....

I saw a very effective campaign leaflet from Ken’s team last night.

Imagine Boris Johnson managing London’s £39 billion Transport budget.

Not so funny now, is he?

Sadly it reminded me of how deeply unfunny it is that London has a £39 billion transport budget at all, especially as I am painfully aware of the sort of lazy retards he pays vastly inflated wages to manage it. Nor is it funny that the whiskey-sodden Jew-bashing fool in charge at the moment has more powers than a 1970s Latin American Generalisimo dictator.

Newsflash from the QE Hall!!

Phil Harrison has lost his Royton South seat to Diane Williamson (Lib Dem).

Nice bit of revenge for Oldham fans. And potentially good news for those who feel Labour are out of time in Oldham.

All change in Oldham .... kind of.

Before today's elections the council was, technically, No Overall Control ... Labour had 30 of the 60 seats... but Labour controlled by virtue of backing from the one 'independent'.

After tonight, it's still No Overall Control ... but now it's the Lib Dems with 30 seats (up 4), Labour floundering behind with 22 seats (down 8) and Conservatives with 7 seats (up 4). Still the 1 Independent, making up the 60.

It will be interesting to see who deals with who to decide the new administration. When the dust settles, I suspect congratulations maybe in order for Howard Sykes on becoming the new leader of Oldham Council. Good on yer Howard.

Newsflash from the QE Hall!!

Phil Harrison has lost his Royton South seat to Diane Williamson (Lib Dem).

Nice bit of revenge for Oldham fans. And potentially good news for those who feel Labour are out of time in Oldham.

That is great news! As a red it is not a good morning but I am pleased this prat is out on his ear.

yep, fantastic news, the entire bleeding country's gone mad and we heading for a tory government. forgive me if i dont crack the champagne out just yet.....

as for royton south, i was their last night, phil harrison got a bit of a tonking to be fair, however the big news im afraid is that the BNP were elected in Chadderton, which made a crap night even worse!

Superb, well done to any morons on here who voted for that shower. You have let your town down.

Yes. I've always had to deal with people down here who assume that the BNP had seats in the borough, I've always been glad to be able to point out that they don't. Ace.

yep, fantastic news, the entire bleeding country's gone mad and we heading for a tory government. forgive me if i dont crack the champagne out just yet.....

as for royton south, i was their last night, phil harrison got a bit of a tonking to be fair, however the big news im afraid is that the BNP were elected in Chadderton, which made a crap night even worse!

Who took Royton North?

Nice bit of scaremongering there. Just to clarify, the winner is the one who gets the most votes, not the one who appears first on the ballot paper.

Edited by Latics & England

Who took Royton North?

Labour hold for Bernard Judge. Only by virtue of a fairly equally split vote between the Tories and Lib Dems though.

Nice scare about BNP - didn't think that could be the case knowing who was up for election this time.

Nationally, Labour have got the bloody nose they deserve. Come General Election time I'll be hoping for a hung Parliament, but with the jerrymandering of sucessive Tory and Labour governments over the years that's a surprisingly difficult outcome to achieve.

Nationally, Labour have got the bloody nose they deserve. Come General Election time I'll be hoping for a hung Parliament, but with the jerrymandering of sucessive Tory and Labour governments over the years that's a surprisingly difficult outcome to achieve.

Not a sniff, there will be a tory landslide, people like backing the winner (look at the # of manure and chelsea fans) and they will queue up to suck off Cameron. The most boorish and upper class ex-Etonian, ex-Oxbridge hand-shandy experts will be running the show. If you think things are bad now, just give it a few years under that lot.

Nice bit of scaremongering there. Just to clarify, the winner is the one who gets the most votes, not the one who appears first on the ballot paper.

not scaremongering at all. when i left the count at 1.15 this morning, they were just about to hand the returning officer a list of results stating the bnp had won, until john hudson, the tory, challenged it and said he had been looking at the piles as they grew and his was quite clearly more than the bnp's, they re-tallied and realised the tory had won, so it was hardly scare mongering. im glad i was wrong though.

Labour hold for Bernard Judge. Only by virtue of a fairly equally split vote between the Tories and Lib Dems though.

Nice scare about BNP - didn't think that could be the case knowing who was up for election this time.

got to take issue with you on that one garcon, the retain in royton north was down to a lot of hard work by the labour team in royton, surprisingly the lib dem (who i was talking to and is quite a sound lass) took votes off the bnp/independent and the ukip, and the tory vote fell about 100 from last year. royton north is one area that is relatively safe compared to every other labour seat in oldham.

as for the rest of it, got to agree, labour got the slap it had coming, the only saving grace being they have 2 years til the next general to try and turn it round, cos as beag teets says, christ above help us if that snake cameron gets in.

and a last point to latics and england, im fully aware of the rules and regs of an election. if you ask anybody who was there last night, it was squeaky bum time over the bnp seat until about half1, quarter to 2, and i didnt have the energy to stay there that long!

Nazia's a very sound lass indeed - hopefully she'll get chance to stand in a more winnable seat sometime.

To be fair, my assumption on Royton North was based purely on the split of the votes on the night - from memory roughly 1000 Lab, 800 Tory, 700 LD. So it wouldn't have taken a huge swing either way between LD and Tory to unseat Bernard.

As it happens, I tend to agree Bernard is fairly safe in that seat, much as Steve Bashforth is in Royton South.

Wasn't at the count this year, but was getting updates. Not spoken to anyone today yet. As you say, bit of a concern initially about the phantom BNP win!

From the Lib Dem's point of view, with no election next year it's a shame they couldn't get the single extra seat (or retain Coldhurst ... that has its own story!) to get the overall majority.

Nazia's a very sound lass indeed - hopefully she'll get chance to stand in a more winnable seat sometime.

To be fair, my assumption on Royton North was based purely on the split of the votes on the night - from memory roughly 1000 Lab, 800 Tory, 700 LD. So it wouldn't have taken a huge swing either way between LD and Tory to unseat Bernard.

As it happens, I tend to agree Bernard is fairly safe in that seat, much as Steve Bashforth is in Royton South.

Wasn't at the count this year, but was getting updates. Not spoken to anyone today yet. As you say, bit of a concern initially about the phantom BNP win!

From the Lib Dem's point of view, with no election next year it's a shame they couldn't get the single extra seat (or retain Coldhurst ... that has its own story!) to get the overall majority.

yeah and as terrible as it sounds, i really dont think royton would ever elect an asian councillor, which is bang out of order obv. As a labour man (im assuming you guessed!) it was obviously an awful night. with steve, after phil's defeat, im not sure it is a safe seat anymore, although phil didnt help himself with being branded an official bully (which i think cost him more than the latics saga) and his "style" will always make as many enemies as friends (or near enough to cost him his seat anyway!) i think steve is a lot more, how do you put it, "customer" friendly, if you like, and also i think between now and his next defence, a lot of people will hopefully realise he was stiched up a lot over the ground development. i can honestly say you couldnt meet as honest a bloke as Steve, and someone who genuinely does his job for the betterment of his ward/town, unlike some i could mention (and i mean both sides).

it may surprise you for me to say this but it would arguably have been better for oldham if the lib dems had made an overall majority, as it would allow them to imprint their own definate agenda and the people of oldham to then judge them on that, whereas i can see a lot of fun and games over the next year, as when the tories side with labour, it will be 30 each, and the mayor is labour for the next 12 months, so i cant actually see a lot getting done again until either side has a workable majority

it may surprise you for me to say this but it would arguably have been better for oldham if the lib dems had made an overall majority, as it would allow them to imprint their own definate agenda and the people of oldham to then judge them on that, whereas i can see a lot of fun and games over the next year, as when the tories side with labour, it will be 30 each, and the mayor is labour for the next 12 months, so i cant actually see a lot getting done again until either side has a workable majority

Oddly enough I can understand that. Although I guess where we'd differ is on the likely outcome. :grin:

Certainly would be better than a year of stalemate.