As a team with ambitions to go into the Premier league, I pose the question "would you really want to?"

I pose the question as a Latics fan and after yet another quetionable perforamce by a "Premier League" referee, which poses the question is the Premier League fixed?

The blatant penalty denied to Wigan and the failure to send off Scholes has surely handed the title to Taggart.

Would you want us to be part of such a league or would you rather see the honest endeavour of players at Championship, League 1 & League 2 levels, with officials who are basically honest even if they are inept?

Edited by Harry Dowds Green Shirt

As a team with ambitions to go into the Premier league, I pose the question "would you really want to?"

I pose the question as a Latics fan and after yet another quetionable perforamce by a "Premier League" referee, which poses the question is the Premier League fixed?

The blatant penalty denied to Wigan and the failure to send off Scholes has surely handed the title to Taggart.

Would you want us to be part of such a league or would you rather see the honest endeavour of players at Championship, League 1 & League 2 levels, with officials who are basically honest even if they are inept?

Ridiculous on a number of levels.

Ridiculous on a number of levels.

having watched the game,in the vain hope that wigwam would at least draw and chelski win,i have to conclude that mr bennett isnt fit to ref a game of such magnitude.

scholes first yellow was spot on,but he should have walked for his second,although i hope he will come and end his football life with us,he still should have gone.

ferdinand blatant hand to ball and wigwam should of had a penalty......one of wigwams players did exactly the same challenge as paul scholes first but got away with it.

united should of had a penalty when scholes was hauled down in the box,just as much as united penalty wasnt really a pen,very unlucky to be given.

the thing that really got my pip,was that cheating portugese to$$er ronaldo.every time he was challenged he either threw his arms in the air or just stopped full stop and got the decision......that is not part of the game.

but bennett shouldnt referee in the top flight again,hasnt a clue.

and yes,i would want us in there no matter how biased people consider it to be.

Here's one to ponder. During my vain hope that wigwam might just get an equaliser to ruin the scum party it got me thinking... If that game had been a must win for wigwam to stay up who would I prefer to win? The scum to win the title and send wigwam down or wigwam to stay up and deny the scum the title????

(I cheated and plummed for the fencing-sitting option that they drew and neither got what they wanted)...

Scholes put in two similar challenges last week and a third for good measure. Ref didn't talk to him. They favour the big teams end of. Until the refs grow balls it will be like this forever.

i'm sure it was on here that i read a post about referee's, ref 'ing by reputation...

ie.... lineker never got booked, but i think it would be naive for anyone to think that he never deserved one! even his his twilight games where he got slower and a bit more clumsier...

ref's didn't want to be the one to cancel out his 'squeaky clean' image and therefore got away with probably a lot more than he should of...

scholes may be treated the same way! he has a similar image in some people's eyes (you just have to look at the frenzy on here whenever he's linked with us in someone's fantasy!!)... and to top it off, most ref's are scared witless of ferguson. didn't the red nosed one write a dosier about the ref they had yesterday and the mistakes he's made throughout the season?

I think saying the ref fixed the game is going a bit far or was biased towards united... He didnt have a good game... fair enough Scholesy first yellow should of been a talking to yup he did go in from behind but he won the ball IMO 5-10 yrs ago he would of been congratulated for that tackle the game has gone too soft he won the ball and the player made a meal of it (bring back the good old contact days and shoulder barging).... Second one yeah should of seen yellow. As for Rio's handball at first it looked like a stone wall penalty but re played when the ball makes contact his arm looks as though its behind is back!!

Scholes's apparant penalty yup he was hacked up but was about to run the ball out of play and wasnt denied a goalscoring oppurtunity (some you get some you dont)

As for united's penalty thought was a bit harsh.. but thought even if scholes had of been sent off and united didnt get the penalty and wigwam did the result would of been the same Bruce would of seen to that ;-)

I couldnt of given two toshes who won the title yesterday because i hate united and chelski just as equally, but thought id say it as i saw it. Its just amazing how different people with different loyalties see the same game differently!

I think saying the ref fixed the game is going a bit far or was biased towards united... He didnt have a good game... fair enough Scholesy first yellow should of been a talking to yup he did go in from behind but he won the ball IMO 5-10 yrs ago he would of been congratulated for that tackle the game has gone too soft he won the ball and the player made a meal of it (bring back the good old contact days and shoulder barging).... Second one yeah should of seen yellow. As for Rio's handball at first it looked like a stone wall penalty but re played when the ball makes contact his arm looks as though its behind is back!!

Scholes's apparant penalty yup he was hacked up but was about to run the ball out of play and wasnt denied a goalscoring oppurtunity (some you get some you dont)

As for united's penalty thought was a bit harsh.. but thought even if scholes had of been sent off and united didnt get the penalty and wigwam did the result would of been the same Bruce would of seen to that ;-)

I couldnt of given two toshes who won the title yesterday because i hate united and chelski just as equally, but thought id say it as i saw it. Its just amazing how different people with different loyalties see the same game differently!

Except most of media also says that Scholes should have been sent off and that Wigwam should have had a penalty. Scholes won the ball on the first challenge?? With which one of his two feet that he used did he win it with? As for the handball, well the pundits on Sky agreed with me in that it was handball and also a penalty when they replayed it. United penalty on the other hand was also defenetley a penalty.

With which one of his two feet that he used did he win it with?

Of course he won the ball, watch where the ball is before the tackle and where it was after, also look at scholes foot hit it there!?! as for your other points yup valid. But i thought his first yellow was a good challenge he won the ball! Modern day footballers are wimps... bring back the good old days when footballers where men!!

Of course he won the ball, watch where the ball is before the tackle and where it was after, also look at scholes foot hit it there!?! as for your other points yup valid. But i thought his first yellow was a good challenge he won the ball! Modern day footballers are wimps... bring back the good old days when footballers where men!!

scholes is undoubtedly an outstanding player...but he cant tackle to save his life,never could never will.

ferdinands handball,after seeing it again today it could of been given,but it wasnt,total 50/50

the ref had a disaster game,but then again it was mr bennett,and hes a tosser so it was only to be expected.

scholes is undoubtedly an outstanding player...but he cant tackle to save his life,never could never will.

Agreed! But still think he won the ball wether he won it illegally in the eyes of the FA is another matter but he went for it and won it! Yip he definatley cant tackle has he has proved on countless occasions.

ferdinands handball,after seeing it again today it could of been given,but it wasnt,total 50/50

Again agree(ish) 45/55 in favour of wigan :-)

the ref had a disaster game,but then again it was mr bennett,and hes a tosser so it was only to be expected.

Dont think he had a disaster but agree with the rest...

Well he may have got the ball with his left foot, but what about his right foot that stamps on Valencia(?)'s foot...definately a foul.

My views:

Scholes yellow - definately

Scholes should have been sent off? - definately

Rooney's penalty - definately

Scholes' appeal for a penalty - definately

Wigan's appeal for a penalty - maybe, there's no way though that the ref could have seen it and therefore he was right not to give it. The fact that only Koumas properly appealed for it out of the Wigan players speaks volumes.

Well he may have got the ball with his left foot, but what about his right foot that stamps on Valencia(?)'s foot...definately a foul.

My views:

Scholes should have been sent off? - definately

Scholes' appeal for a penalty - definately

Wigan's appeal for a penalty - maybe, there's no way though that the ref could have seen it and therefore he was right not to give it. The fact that only Koumas properly appealed for it out of the Wigan players speaks volumes.

Wigan's appeal for a penalty - definately. player stood well inside the area moves arm away from body and towards the ball, ball strikes upper arm. Referee looking directly at incident (see later replays from behind the goal)...gives corner.

Agree with the others...but would Scholes have been on the pitch to win it??

Bennett had a shocker 1st half, and as I said to my mate whilst we were watching...'I didn't realise that the scum had a new black away shirt for next season' ...to which he replied..'He could've done the decent thing and worn it under his shirt'.

No fixes involved, just a poor refereeing display 1st half.

Scholes should have been sent off? - not sure about this one, but probally. I will say that although Scholes is not a great tackler, he his very clever and several times this year (including the semi in Barca in first minutes)) he will do what look like poorly timed tackle which in fact deliberate fouls timed to perfection. Oftern he gets away without bookings and sendings off, he's a master at it.

Scholes' appeal for a penalty - definately ... he was nowhere near to getting the ball it was a poor, poor challenge.

Wigan's appeal for a penalty - Seen them given and yet many haven't. United themselves have suffered recently with a no penalty being awarded with the exact same situation.

Sometimes people need to take off their anti-utd blinkers and actually watch the game.

Now I do honestly believe Scotland may have a serious issue with the bias towards Celtic and Rangers as the Rangers game this weekend showed.

Back on topic ......... Without doubt I'd choose Latics to be in the premiership everytime.

I was thinking about this before and if Bennett had made all the right decisions, he still would have been castigated. If there had been three penalties and a sending off (OK, well two as Scholes wouldn't have been on the pitch), then he would have been accused of trying to steal the limelight, destroyed by the media for possibly ruining the title challenge of the team who apparently deserved to win the league. The Rio 'penalty'...well many would have said it wasn't a pen and asked why the ref was doling out penalties when he couldn't be sure, and for sending Scholes off he'd have been criticised for ruining such an important game and not showing 'common sense' and giving him a final warning.

The ref can't win a lot of the time.

I am no fan of Mr Bennett, he is one who typically applied the laws of the game to the letter, rather than being the kind of referee who feels and breathes the game with an intention to let things flow.

I think he was 4th official in the Spurs v Chelsea game (?) where Ashley Cole behaved dreadfully. Referee's boss Keith Hackett criticised him for not intervening in the incident.

He was castigated some (Andy Gray, Senor Benitez for example) for sending off Masscerano in the Man Utd v Liverpool game. In my view the correct decision.

I noticed in the Stoke v Leicester game (last week of the season) he let a couple of really poor challenges go without producing cards when he certainly would have done normally, and thought to myself that he is trying to change his style in response to the criticism.

So people have in recent weeks put pressure on him in different ways to make him change his style. It probably doesn't suit him to do so and, let's be honest, before this if you knew Mr Bennett was going to be referee you knew exactly what you could / couldn't get away with before the game kicked off.

As for Wigan v United:

1) Scholes booking was correct - he got ball, man, 2 footed, not dangerous, but a foul.

2) Rooney penalty decision correct - absolutely no doubt about it.

3) Scholes sending off 50/50 - it was a gentle shove in Wigan's half. Some would book, some would simply award a free kick. 2 months ago Bennett would have sent him off. Someone like Andre Marriner would not have brandished a card.

4) Ferdinand handball 50/50 - some you get some you don't. I thought this one probably was, whereas the Carrick one at Chelsea looked like he treid to avoid the ball hitting his arm, but short of amputation just couldn't avoid it.

5) Scholes penalty awful decision and the only one of these where I can say Bennett got it totally wrong (other decisions were either correct or open to reasonable debate).

Even with Scholes sent off, United wouldn't have lost and Chelsea blew it against Bolton anyway.

If you want to see a truly atrocious display of refereeing, Mr Deadman (Wycombe v Stockport) had clearly left his red card at home. How Wycombe didn't end up with 8 men was extraordinary.

Edited by opinions4u

the penalty decision and failure to send scholes off did not decide the title, it was the their consistency and superiority over the course of the season that did that. besides they were 1 up at the time when scholes should have gone and i think at the very least they would have still gotten a draw which as it turned out would have been enough. imo the premiership is not fixed and as for would i want the latics in premiership, well thats a no brainer, of course, even if its just for a season.