we need to kick it into touch, would much rather have an anglo scottish affair with all teams entered into it...in my opinion it would create a competition with a bit of zest and intrigue...

i mean we could draw falkirk in the first round...who people may ask...precisely...or we could get aberdeen away ...great night out there...and whilst i am on the subject it's about time that the glasgow clubs where introduced to the english leagues trouble aside that was some support ....and in my opinion we could have two potential teams to break the monotiny of the boring four and also give us minnows a chance to play them albeit in the cups....it's time for change

and whilst i am on the subject it's about time that the glasgow clubs where introduced to the english leagues trouble aside that was some support ....and in my opinion we could have two potential teams to break the monotiny of the boring four and also give us minnows a chance to play them albeit in the cups....it's time for change

I have no objection to Rangers and Celtic joining the English League. I do object to the continual assumption that they would go in at Premier League level. What would give them the right to bypass the English pyramid? It is possibly unrealistic to expect them to enter the first team at the bottom rung but they could enter a reserve team through the lower levels. Once this team reaches a certain level through promotions they could then withdraw from Scottish competition and use the first team.

I do like the idea of the Carling Cup being expanded to include the Jocks. This probably isn't the week to be suggesting an increase in cross border travelling support though :)

I like the idea of an anglo-scottish cup rather than the beer cup, but not celtic and rangers in the premiership they would certainly not break into big four. They can by all means start at the bottom and work their way up tho!

people always say they wouldnt break into the top four, but with the spending power they have they would be able to attract top players. trouble they have at the moment is none of the top players want to play in that league. can you imagine if ronaldo signed for rangers, playing against the likes of danny hall, will haining, porter, murray etc, at grounds like gretna and the like?

given four or five years, they would be able to attract top class players there, and break into the top four.

i agree at the moment they would struggle to stay up, never mind trouble the big four, but they wouldnt be far off given the time

I can't believe that anyone is seriously suggesting getting rid of the only cup that we have been in the final of!!!

Has everyone forgotten the pinch me season beating Arsenal,Southampton and Frankie Bunn's 6 goal haul against Scaraborough.

League clubs need to get back behind this competition and rid the FA of its dominance in English Football. This is where the premier greed came from

Rant over

I can't believe that anyone is seriously suggesting getting rid of the only cup that we have been in the final of!!!

Has everyone forgotten the pinch me season beating Arsenal,Southampton and Frankie Bunn's 6 goal haul against Scaraborough.

League clubs need to get back behind this competition and rid the FA of its dominance in English Football. This is where the premier greed came from

Rant over

well said Rob, never thought about it like that before, but your right

Rant over

Agreed and I would love it if the Greedy League clubs were not invited to enter. It can't be right for a non-Football League club to win the Football League Cup. But of course it's all about money. We all know fans only turn out in large numbers to watch the Greedy League clubs, and there would be no European place for the winner if they were excluded.

Agreed and I would love it if the Greedy League clubs were not invited to enter. It can't be right for a non-Football League club to win the Football League Cup. But of course it's all about money. We all know fans only turn out in large numbers to watch the Greedy League clubs, and there would be no European place for the winner if they were excluded.

Am with you and Phil on this one - there has to be a re-distribution of wealth at some stage - but I think that may only happen when the top few play full time in Europe and the rest have to re-evaluate the way forward.

The premier greed was originally launched to develop the England team and if the clubs prospered then great. Then the FA backed down leaving 80% of the clubs with less than 10% of the money.

It all goes in cycles though, I think the real fans are priced out of the game, it won't be too long until you see more fans in the championship, league 1 etc so long as its kept affordable

Am with you and Phil on this one - there has to be a re-distribution of wealth at some stage - but I think that may only happen when the top few play full time in Europe and the rest have to re-evaluate the way forward.

The premier greed was originally launched to develop the England team and if the clubs prospered then great. Then the FA backed down leaving 80% of the clubs with less than 10% of the money.

It all goes in cycles though, I think the real fans are priced out of the game, it won't be too long until you see more fans in the championship, league 1 etc so long as its kept affordable

the premier league is run totally different and independant from the football league....so i would be all in favour of excluding the greedy league from the competition,and just have it between the championship and leagues down.....

but would that also mean that the greedy league should be cut from the fa cup as well??? meaning lower league clubs missing out on valuable money from the competition....

we need to kick it into touch, would much rather have an anglo scottish affair with all teams entered into it...in my opinion it would create a competition with a bit of zest and intrigue...

i mean we could draw falkirk in the first round...who people may ask...precisely...or we could get aberdeen away ...great night out there...and whilst i am on the subject it's about time that the glasgow clubs where introduced to the english leagues trouble aside that was some support ....and in my opinion we could have two potential teams to break the monotiny of the boring four and also give us minnows a chance to play them albeit in the cups....it's time for change

Erm, they are scottish clubs. The paucity of competition in their league is a result of their stranglehold on it, nothing else. The idea that we should let them into the English league is based on what exactly? Why not let a couple of Dutch clubs in, and some Belgian? Then French?

I just cannot understand what this idea is based on? Some sort of European League?

"That was some support"? So? Barca have "some support" and countless other clubs. Let's just sod it all and have a full-on international league - River Plate vs Manure, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Barca, Real, AC and Inter? Marseille?

Sorry but that's ridiculous. Even Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham should have gone when the Welsh FA got Euro places.

Erm, they are scottish clubs. The paucity of competition in their league is a result of their stranglehold on it, nothing else. The idea that we should let them into the English league is based on what exactly? Why not let a couple of Dutch clubs in, and some Belgian? Then French?

I just cannot understand what this idea is based on? Some sort of European League?

"That was some support"? So? Barca have "some support" and countless other clubs. Let's just sod it all and have a full-on international league - River Plate vs Manure, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Barca, Real, AC and Inter? Marseille?

Sorry but that's ridiculous. Even Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham should have gone when the Welsh FA got Euro places.

change...that's what i am instigating change..at the moment the lower league clubs are dying...we are losing money left right and centre,,so if it mean far fetched ideas that will maybe install a little dosh into the empty purse what's wrong in that...can you not read the undertonres coming from simons sermons. it's there in black and white..oldham versus norhhampton at home equals x ammount of pounds as a loss..simon pays for it..for how long????? look at it in stark reality...simon and co are proping this club up by there cheque book so any ideas, no matter how far fetched you may deem them to be ..are ideas that could save this club from extinction...

any decent irish clubs?????

change...that's what i am instigating change..at the moment the lower league clubs are dying...we are losing money left right and centre,,so if it mean far fetched ideas that will maybe install a little dosh into the empty purse what's wrong in that...can you not read the undertonres coming from simons sermons. it's there in black and white..oldham versus norhhampton at home equals x ammount of pounds as a loss..simon pays for it..for how long????? look at it in stark reality...simon and co are proping this club up by there cheque book so any ideas, no matter how far fetched you may deem them to be ..are ideas that could save this club from extinction...

How would the old firm playing in England benefit Latics bank balance?

Where that argument falls down is because the only clubs we would make any money playing against would be celtic and rangers and i couldn't see them all coming down en masse against us yeah they all came down last week but that was their first european final in over 30 years playing us in the first round of the carling cup would be different. Can you imagine playing even the likes of Hibs Hearts and Aberdeen attracting many more fans I can't. And think of those poor Aberdeen fans imagine having to travel down to plymouth or Torquay on a tuesday night.

Where that argument falls down is because the only clubs we would make any money playing against would be celtic and rangers and i couldn't see them all coming down en masse against us yeah they all came down last week but that was their first european final in over 30 years playing us in the first round of the carling cup would be different. Can you imagine playing even the likes of Hibs Hearts and Aberdeen attracting many more fans I can't. And think of those poor Aberdeen fans imagine having to travel down to plymouth or Torquay on a tuesday night.

nothing ventured nothing gained...insted of pre season games why not do a round one and round two of the anglo scottish cup...much more interest in my eyes, and i am sure that there would be more pound notes floating about than the likes of notts county at home etc etc...if it was to take off then we are on a winner if not then what the toss...at least we gave it a go...hey if you never taste it you never get tempted..

don't worry be happy

Not in favour.

1. League Cup crowds in the early rounds struggle enough as it is. Do you really thing Oldham v Falkirk would get a bigger crowd than Oldham v Rochdale? They should regionalise the first three rounds to ensure more local derby games that will drive crowds upwards, not broaden the geographical spread in a way that would turn the first round in to a lesser competition. There is no way I'm heading to Aberdeen on a Tuesday night thanks, but if we were more likely to draw Bury or Rochdale or Tranmere etc there would be more interest early on.

2. The way the League Cup has evolved gives clubs like Latics a genuine chance of doing well. The likes of Stockport and Wycombe have made the semi-finals in the last 12 years and events like Coventry's 2-0 win at Man Utd make it a competition worth winnnig.

3. Rangers and Celtic are Scottish and should stay in the Scottish League. Otherwise we will lose the identity of the 4 home nations internationally and I much prefer England to "Team UK" thanks.

When the old Anglo-Scottish Cup existed, it didn't exactly pack out the grounds. For me regionalisation early on (not just North / South) and some aggressive price cutting to attract fans is the way forwards.

Latics fans are understandably critical of the finances of the Premier League and some of the history that allowed the Premier League to evolve. But some forget that we were a part of a revolution that was keen on stopping all relegation out of the Premier League as we sought to protect our own self-interest in a way that was completely against the principles of competitive sport. The Oldham Athletic of the early nineties was just as willing to pi$$ on the roots of English football as the top 20 clubs today.

It's right to raise the subject and have the debate. But Scotland isn't the way forward for England.

Edited by opinions4u

Not in favour.

1. League Cup crowds in the early rounds struggle enough as it is. Do you really thing Oldham v Falkirk would get a bigger crowd than Oldham v Rochdale? They should regionalise the first three rounds to ensure more local derby games that will drive crowds upwards, not broaden the geographical spread in a way that would turn the first round in to a lesser competition. There is no way I'm heading to Aberdeen on a Tuesday night thanks, but if we were more likely to draw Bury or Rochdale or Tranmere etc there would be more interest early on.

2. The way the League Cup has evolved gives clubs like Latics a genuine chance of doing well. The likes of Stockport and Wycombe have made the semi-finals in the last 12 years and events like Coventry's 2-0 win at Man Utd make it a competition worth winnnig.

3. Rangers and Celtic are Scottish and should stay in the Scottish League. Otherwise we will lose the identity of the 4 home nations internationally and I much prefer England to "Team UK" thanks.

When the old Anglo-Scottish Cup existed, it didn't exactly pack out the grounds. For me regionalisation early on (not just North / South) and some aggressive price cutting to attract fans is the way forwards.

Latics fans are understandably critical of the finances of the Premier League and some of the history that allowed the Premier League to evolve. But some forget that we were a part of a revolution that was keen on stopping all relegation out of the Premier League as we sought to protect our own self-interest in a way that was completely against the principles of competitive sport. The Oldham Athletic of the early nineties was just as willing to pi$$ on the roots of English football as the top 20 clubs today.

It's right to raise the subject and have the debate. But Scotland isn't the way forward for England.

Actually Ian Stott and one other chairman(I forget who but maybe have been the Swindon chairman)were the only people to actually speak out aginst the formation of the premier league as a seperate entity, however casting votes mean't that had he not then gone with it then we would have not been able to play in that division.

The 'glitz and glamour' of the Premiership has expectedly killed off valuable fair funding to the lower leagure teams - it ires me the fact Derby got about 5 points all season and will get about £20 million for such a proud achievement!!! whereas top Championship teams will get about a tenth of that - it's all a load of blox - thank god we found someone to rescue US in our hour of desperation - think eventually the lower divisions will be part time whilst Premiership fat cags will be getting paid £1 million a week wages!

fat cagsd eh? now that's a new phrase innit!

Not only that, but you even typed your typo wrong! Genius.

Yeah, been bandied about a lot this arguement. The only folk who'd be happy with an away trip to Dundee would be the likes that head to Gillingham on a Tuesday night game.

I would like to see more Scots V English games being played though. Perhaps something could be arranged for the Paint-Pot trophy where any Scottish side (barring those finishing in the top 4 of the SPL) can enter. Keep it regionalised until at least the quarter finals. It's a bit back-of-a-fag-packet but my interest in the LDV as it stands is pretty minimal even with us IN it.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Actually Ian Stott and one other chairman(I forget who but maybe have been the Swindon chairman)were the only people to actually speak out aginst the formation of the premier league as a seperate entity, however casting votes mean't that had he not then gone with it then we would have not been able to play in that division.

True. But once in the 'club' they were very keen on the no relegation proposal. Can understand why!

True. But once in the 'club' they were very keen on the no relegation proposal. Can understand why!

Truth of the matter is that Ian Stott never repersented my thoughts or feelings on the subject so i feel no guilt about the whole affair.....

The only folk who'd be happy with an away trip to Dundee would be the likes that head to Gillingham on a Tuesday night game.

Presumably that would be those who believe that travelling all that way to get behind the lads might just make a difference to the outcome of the game. Crazy idea I know, but some believe that's what supporting your team means. Others save themselves for the likes of Goodison Park once every blue moon.

Presumably that would be those who believe that travelling all that way to get behind the lads might just make a difference to the outcome of the game. Crazy idea I know, but some believe that's what supporting your team means. Others save themselves for the likes of Goodison Park once every blue moon.

Yes. And some, like myself, just go to the ones they can feasibly get to. Which means no Tuesday's at Brighton/Colchester and yes Saturday's at Walsall/Hartlepool.

I didn't know that - but seems strange as the next few seasons were about reducing the size of the premier league?