spain v italy 1st half

can only say that was abolutely dire - havent watch much of these championships, but that was dreadful, not sure it was motson r lawresnon that put that on a par wiv france and romania and i have to say they were right - not even bothering watching 2nd half

A classic game of chess .. I'm loving it

can only say that was abolutely dire - havent watch much of these championships, but that was dreadful, not sure it was motson r lawresnon that put that on a par wiv france and romania and i have to say they were right - not even bothering watching 2nd half

The attitude of the BBC team towards a poor game really gets on my nerves. Didn't see HT today so can't comment on the usual suspects but Lawrenson in particular acts as if he'd rather be anywhere else in the world than in a football ground at one of the world's major competitions. I suppose it was once a conscious BBC decision to avoid Sky's approach of talking up every game as if we were watching Brazil '70 but on the rare occasions I watch a Sky match now I think they have improved a lot in this.

If its a poor game we can all see its a poor game and there's no point in pretending otherwise. Its the sarcastic comments and poor attempts at humour that do my head in. I often get the impression that for Lineacre et al the football ruins a good golfing holiday. The horror last week at the thought that a match might be abandoned and replayed the following day was clear for all to see.

Watching football on the BBC is the equivalent of being sat near a moaning git at Latics.

:rant.sml:

The attitude of the BBC team towards a poor game really gets on my nerves. Didn't see HT today so can't comment on the usual suspects but Lawrenson in particular acts as if he'd rather be anywhere else in the world than in a football ground at one of the world's major competitions. I suppose it was once a conscious BBC decision to avoid Sky's approach of talking up every game as if we were watching Brazil '70 but on the rare occasions I watch a Sky match now I think they have improved a lot in this.

If its a poor game we can all see its a poor game and there's no point in pretending otherwise. Its the sarcastic comments and poor attempts at humour that do my head in. I often get the impression that for Lineacre et al the football ruins a good golfing holiday. The horror last week at the thought that a match might be abandoned and replayed the following day was clear for all to see.

Watching football on the BBC is the equivalent of being sat near a moaning git at Latics.

Couldnt agree more. Mark Lawrenson is a complete muppet (I could rant for weeks on why I cant stand him) The BBC's coverage of football is very poor and Lawrenson and Motson the worst commentators on the planet. As for ITV I have heard nothing but England this England that and forgive if Im wrong but England didnt qualify did they? I enjoyed the coverage more when I was in Bulgaria and it was all in German!!

And another thing....

How is David Villa's name pronounced? I'd always thought it was Veeya, and I think I'm safe to say the majority would agree.

Motson spent the whole 90 minutes referring to him as Veelyar. Whilst I think this is wrong I accept that for Motty to use any other pronunciation would be to admit his error in '81 when Ricky Veelyar danced through the Citeh defence. This doesn't explain why, for extra time he changed tack and started calling him Vee-lar.

Miraculously, even when sat next to that two-hat Lawro, Motson still managed to annoy the hell out of me.

I've found a simple solution to the poor BBC TV commentary, I listen to the 5 live radio commentary whilst watching TV. Better by far, more entertaining and knowledgeable.

Is Alan Green still on there? Don't get me started on Alan Green :angry::wink:

Is Alan Green still on there? Don't get me started on Alan Green :angry::wink:

He was doing a talk across the road from my work the other month, I was tempted to pay to go in to get thrown out but I decided not to give the :censored: the pleasure.

He was doing a talk across the road from my work the other month, I was tempted to pay to go in to get thrown out but I decided not to give the :censored: the pleasure.

I watched the match with an Italian family - they were gutted but IMHO their team got what they deserved.

The US networks decided to bring Andy Gray over and use British commentators. It's been a huge relief as the American commentators are shiiite (and clueless). It was a bad match but they explained that this happens with 2 southern European teams in the knock-out stages of a major tournament. But towards the end Andy Gray managed to really piss off the Italians with some of his comments. I kept telling them he's from Scotland, but that didn't seem to help! :grin:

Edited by martjs

What's your beef with Alan Green.

I like him.

Does anyone meet your standards?

What's your beef with Alan Green.

I like him.

Does anyone meet your standards?

It's a fair question. He seems to go out of his way IMO to court controversy. It seems like a cheap way of getting the viewing figures in to dumb it down and make it a big fight about some tabloid issue rather than talking about the real football matters that most of the people who follow the game are (although I am damning myself here...) interested in. I will admit that I rarely find myself listening to the rado coverage anyway, usually just if I am scrounging a lift on matchdays.

Meeting my standards - I liked the underwear Kylie was modelling on the other thread, but the Bucking Bronko seemed a bit out of date :wink:

I've found a simple solution to the poor BBC TV commentary, I listen to the 5 live radio commentary whilst watching TV. Better by far, more entertaining and knowledgeable.

The only problem (not sure if it is just sky) but there is a delay that takes you back to 1950's football commentary.

As for Motty. Di Natalie. He, he.

The only problem (not sure if it is just sky) but there is a delay that takes you back to 1950's football commentary.

The delay will be Sky (or any other digital for that matter eg freeview) the R5 commentary is in synch with TV coverage if you listen on a regular analogue radio. They also seem to have 1/2 an eye on the TV picture as they comment on replays and shots of the managers/crowd ets as they appear on the telly.