The Tangerine Shop

My first shirt was purchased from this pokey, old shop in 76ish (blue umbro with the diamonds on the sleeve).

Aged 10 at the time I remember little about the place.

What did it stock, when did it open/close etc etc

More importantly have I imagined its existence at all ?

Guest oa_exile
The shop was at King's Stores on King Street.

I remember buying the Latics Subbuteo Team in the original tangerine and blue from there. It was the days before replica shirts were available but they sold flags; rosettes; rattles (:shock:) and other 1970s essential items! :shock:

Indeed it was Jeff , I remember having a sticker in my bedroom window bought from there with "I'm a Latics Fanatic" written on it.

Not sure about the replica shirts though , I can remember having Latics shirts , usually for Christmas as times were hard :lol: (Well according to my Dad)

Edited by oa_exile

Indeed it was Jeff , I remember having a sticker in my bedroom window bought from there with "I'm a Latics Fanatic" written on it.

Not sure about the replica shirts though , I can remember having Latics shirts , usually for Christmas as times were hard :lol: (Well according to my Dad)

OK, more nostalgia, does anyone remember the boutique that Alan Groves ran, I think it was in Hollins?. Pretty sure it was called ENFER.

Guest oa_exile
My first shirt was purchased from this pokey, old shop in 76ish (blue umbro with the diamonds on the sleeve).

Aged 10 at the time I remember little about the place.

What did it stock, when did it open/close etc etc

More importantly have I imagined its existence at all ?

I was just thinking about it again and remember the sports shops in town.

Schofields on Union St ( I used to play cricket with Pete)

Wilsons Sports on Yorkshire St.

Guest oa_exile
OK, more nostalgia, does anyone remember the boutique that Alan Groves ran, I think it was in Hollins?. Pretty sure it was called ENFER.

I do rememeber it Lofty he co-owned it with Les Chapman , cant remember the name of it though :huh:

I probably bought a "Star Jumper" from there to go with my Birmingham Bags :lol: Happy Days :grin:

I was just thinking about it again and remember the sports shops in town.

Schofields on Union St ( I used to play cricket with Pete)

Wilsons Sports on Yorkshire St.

Remember Monkhouses near the Golden Disc?

Famous for selling Bugger all!

Exile,did you ever buy Football or Cricket boots from Domingo street Shoe shop?

The Cricket boots where like Pit Boots with wood nailed to the bottom with spikes glue on!

Also,wasnt the Tangerine Shop where the Himalia Indian was,think its Gruber Garrets now?

Guest oa_exile
Exile,did you ever buy Football or Cricket boots from Domingo street Shoe shop?

The Cricket boots where like Pit Boots with wood nailed to the bottom with spikes glue on!

I think it was actually called St Domingos , they had their own brand called Stylo or summat like that :unsure:

When I was about 13-14 the football boots to own were the "Adidas Beckenbauer" with fluoro yellow stripes :)

Yes, I can remember these old shops. There was never anything on display and if you wanted to buy something the shop-keeper would have to get it out of one of the numerous cardboard boxes stacked on shelves.

I seem to recall that the Latique at BP was just a counter with all the souvenirs pinned on the wall at the back. You could only fit about three people in there, and that included the old woman who was serving!

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my gran used to knit me Latics shirts and socks. I've got photos somewhere of me wearing them. However, I do remember buying the tangerine shirt (made by Bukta?) from a shop in Rochdale!! I still have it in a suitcase in my mum's loft.

I also bought the Umbro diamond sleeves shirt from Schofields. I used to wear it for school PE lessons when everyone else was wearing Derby, Villa and Wolves shirts. I still have this shirt as well!!

I seem to recall that the Latique at BP was just a counter with all the souvenirs pinned on the wall at the back. You could only fit about three people in there, and that included the old woman who was serving!

Meant to reply earlier in the week.

When I started going in '76 if I recall the shop was very small wide enough for a door, a counter and room for behind the counter for two. They always sold the previous weeks away programme and had a display of programmes on one of them displays, like they used to have for the newspapers in the library. There were always two old chaps in there, both of whom smoked a pipe, which meant any item purchased always had the aroma of Condor ready rubbed baccy or some such, in fact to this day I swear some of the programmes I bought still have the faint whiff of shag about them! I also bought my first silk scarf from there, that smelt of baccy too.

i also had a latics fanatic sticker on my bedroom window ,it was very hard to get it off when we changed the windows ,the glue was strong in those days

Edited by boboafc