It's not just us and Joshs's drum...

Just seen on Sky Sports News, John PFC Westwood, the Pompey bell ringer, has had his bell and bugle banned!!!!

They had him on the phone, and he basically said what a lot of people on here are saying: that the fans who want to make some noise and create an atmosphere are being forced out of the game.

It's such bollocks. It won't be long before every ground in the country is completely sterile.

Oh, and that should read Josh's drum....

Edited by Snookmeister

Just seen on Sky Sports News, John PFC Westwood, the Pompey bell ringer, has had his bell and bugle banned!!!!

They had him on the phone, and he basically said what a lot of people on here are saying: that the fans who want to make some noise and create an atmosphere are being forced out of the game.

It's such bollocks. It won't be long before every ground in the country is completely sterile.

Oh, and that should read Josh's drum....

You every heard him and the bloody bell???? He's been banned from Wembley for a while ... I was near him when they took it off him. How does him constanly ringing a beel create an amtosphere????

Instruments don't make one jot of difference to the atmosphere for me, they are a fairly new concept that started appearing in grounds once the new laws / all seater stadiums came into effect ... these changes are what as killed some of the atmosphere in grounds along with the Premiership/sky's marketing of the game.

You every heard him and the bloody bell???? He's been banned from Wembley for a while ... I was near him when they took it off him. How does him constanly ringing a beel create an amtosphere????

Instruments don't make one jot of difference to the atmosphere for me, they are a fairly new concept that started appearing in grounds once the new laws / all seater stadiums came into effect ... these changes are what as killed the atmosphere in grounds along with the Premiership/sky's marketing of the game.

I'm not singularly saying ban instruments and you've got no atmosphere, it's all part of the whole package of changes thats been occurring in football for some time now. As you've said, it all started with the abolition of terracing, TV issues etc, but is going right down to smaller issues like a bloke making some noise. Not my cup of tea, granted, neither is Josh and his infamous drum, but it's the principle of it all that hacks me right off.

It's certainly a crazy sitiuation; I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who got hooked on live football because of the atmosphere like that which used to exist in The Chaddy in years gone by.

Two things have killed this, perhaps the biggest was putting seats in there in the early 90's but the downwards trend has been continued by this over zealous stewarding we see at virtually all grounds these days. It's all about complying to the ground regulations these days - another way of describing health and safety - and supporters remaining seated is a big part of this.

In a week were we have had Mr Corney sounding a rallying cry to the town to support the team, I think the club and also the football authroties should recognise that it's not just the product on the pitch that gets people interested in attending games but the whole matchday atmosphere and experience. This is being killed inside football grounds these days. Many of us on here will have formed lifelong frienships on the terraces supporting Latics over the years, built from the commeraderie and feeling of togetherness in support of our team. I think this is sadly missing for our younger generation of supporters; stadiums are no longer places where we can release the pent up energy built up during the week, in fact it must feel like they are back in school with somebody looking over there shoulders all the time telling them what to do.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, maybe I should accept that the game has changed - it certainly not the working man's game at these prices anymore! But for clubs like us and Pompey to start deciding just how us fans can support the team will see football and in particular attendances decline even further as the thrill of the matchday experience is lost.

I saw the interview on sky and think he couldnt have said it any better.

They suggested a solution on sky a few months back.

Having different areas in the ground. Like an area where you are aloud to stand and chant and bang the drum all game.

They should make the rocky that area and then it would make the expreience better for everyone.

The thing that got me Hooked on latics when i was a kid was the atmosphere and signing. It seems that this is slowly being taken away bit by bit. Its is not hard to see why the crowds are low.

I am also fortunate enough that my dad pays for my season ticket. I am a student and would only be able to afford the big games if he didnt pay for me.

We wont attract many new fans unless they make areas specific and what you are alloud to do in certain areas rather than a long list of what you cant do.

This is why away games are usually much more enjoyable as we are not constantly told to sit down.

Edited by BESASTIAN11

It's certainly a crazy sitiuation; I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who got hooked on live football because of the atmosphere like that which used to exist in The Chaddy in years gone by.

Two things have killed this, perhaps the biggest was putting seats in there in the early 90's but the downwards trend has been continued by this over zealous stewarding we see at virtually all grounds these days. It's all about complying to the ground regulations these days - another way of describing health and safety - and supporters remaining seated is a big part of this.

In a week were we have had Mr Corney sounding a rallying cry to the town to support the team, I think the club and also the football authroties should recognise that it's not just the product on the pitch that gets people interested in attending games but the whole matchday atmosphere and experience. This is being killed inside football grounds these days. Many of us on here will have formed lifelong frienships on the terraces supporting Latics over the years, built from the commeraderie and feeling of togetherness in support of our team. I think this is sadly missing for our younger generation of supporters; stadiums are no longer places where we can release the pent up energy built up during the week, in fact it must feel like they are back in school with somebody looking over there shoulders all the time telling them what to do.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, maybe I should accept that the game has changed - it certainly not the working man's game at these prices anymore! But for clubs like us and Pompey to start deciding just how us fans can support the team will see football and in particular attendances decline even further as the thrill of the matchday experience is lost.

Thats very well put and sums up my feelings as well....

There is also this idea that more families can be introduced to the game by making the atmosphere more family friendly. I do question if this new found family atmosphere will keep the next generation has hooked as the old style atmosphere hooked me and kept me coming.

I think it work at the likes of Old Trafford....where its more like a trip to the panto....but I doubt its going to work down in the lower leagues where the product isnt so good...

Time will tell but where witnessing the death of lower league football in my opinion....because it isnt all about the football belive it or not....

Guest oa_exile
They should make the rocky that area and then it would make the expreience better for everyone

In your opinion , and I wonder exactly what % of the attendance want to stand and sing ? I would suggest to you a very small %

In your opinion , and I wonder exactly what % of the attendance want to stand and sing ? I would suggest to you a very small %

I’ve actually come to accept that as well....

I think people who want to go to a football match and support there team vocally through standing and singing songs is actually quite small.... I think the number of people who want to actually sing is pretty dam low even when you take standing out of the equation... Live football is dieing on its arse....

Edited by oafc0000

anyone remember that in the early 70's at mcfc(always shown on match of the day) that woman who used to ring a big bell at maine rd ,no one complained then about her ,but a drum is alot louder than a bell thou

She was called Anna or Ann cant remember which. However she rang it periodically during a game for about 10 peels and that was it. Still she'd have moved if sat next to me. The atmosphere that members are suggesting got them hooked was a group of lads singing. So go ahead and hook the next set!

She was called Anna or Ann cant remember which. However she rang it periodically during a game for about 10 peels and that was it. Still she'd have moved if sat next to me. The atmosphere that members are suggesting got them hooked was a group of lads singing. So go ahead and hook the next set!

just found this helen the city fan with the bell