Taylor on the Left?

OK - Last season we (or most people like me) were complaining that mighty shez kept playing Taylor on the wrong side'. Now, since the end of last season there has been no such comments. Are we to eat our words? Is he still on the wrong side?.... or was it actually a master plan to train Taylor to be able to play on either side? Oh, and the fact that he's equalled his scoring talley from last season, already won the fans player of the month and is still with us after some offers all seems to be good signs.

I don't know where I'm going with this post....

Basically I just want to know if people still think Taylor is being played on the wrong side.

Cheers

Ma-ta kondo

I would still rather have him play on the right, or at least in a line-up where he could swap sides. However, he has been particularly devastating cutting in from the left so far this season. He's clearly learning how to make the best impact as a right footer on the left, so to speak. As the season progresses, it'll be interesting to see whether the better teams manage to shackle him (always easier I've thought if a wide player isn't on his natural side).

Taylor was inconsistent last season.

Its been easy for him so far because its the start of the season and other teams defences havent quite settled.

Teams are starting to wise up and double mark him which slows him down but as Shez said hes learning how to deal with it.

Burnley Double marked him easily, Leeds tried it but were far to slow getting to him and stood off him to much.

He has always been a good player but lacked consistency last season. Hopefully he can keep up his form for the rest of the season.

If he does though im sure someone will come in with a big offer in January.

Yes it would give us more options if we sign a LW but were not desperate right now.

Burnley Double marked him easily,

and he was still the only player to come out of the game with any credit.

i like this train of thought - you don't get class wingers who can operate on either side at this level and we've got a manager who's created one.

Yes Taylor was the only starter at Burnley who looked like he was good enough to play for them. Just looked like he was playing in a team who arnt as good as him.

However if we had been at full strength this wouldnt have been so obvious.

He's added £500 K on to his value in these first few games. If he gets 46 goals this season he might just be a Ginger version of a lower league ronaldo.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Everyone was saying he would be better on the right. He probably would have been!

But he's been coached to play well on the left, and it's arguable to say he's as good or better on the left now.

These are the things a manager does.

Well done Shez, you've stuck to your guns, and we're now reaping the rewards!

If you've got a right footer on the left wing, you expect them to be coming inside and shooting, as you know they're going to struggle to consistantly provide good crosses. Taylor didn't do this enough, if at all, last season, which is why some fans started to become frustrated. During the summer he has clearly worked on this, and grown the confidence to get a shot off whenever he can. At the moment, this is paying off, so i'd definitely keep him out there.

If you've got a right footer on the left wing, you expect them to be coming inside and shooting, as you know they're going to struggle to consistantly provide good crosses. Taylor didn't do this enough, if at all, last season, which is why some fans started to become frustrated. During the summer he has clearly worked on this, and grown the confidence to get a shot off whenever he can. At the moment, this is paying off, so i'd definitely keep him out there.

I think the difference is that he is showing the defender more often that he is able to go outside him, once they have to worry about that as well as him going inside he has much more chance to get a shot away. He looks very sharp again as well, I wonder if wear and tear was taking a toll on him last season? He’s another one who is still pretty young to have played so many games and be a regular every week.

I think the difference is that he is showing the defender more often that he is able to go outside him, once they have to worry about that as well as him going inside he has much more chance to get a shot away. He looks very sharp again as well, I wonder if wear and tear was taking a toll on him last season? He’s another one who is still pretty young to have played so many games and be a regular every week.

Aye, I missed that point. He was far to predictable last season, that doesn't seem the case anymore. I'd agree about the wear and tear, I also think there was a lot of weight on his shoulders last season aswell, after having such a good season previously.

Aye, I missed that point. He was far to predictable last season, that doesn't seem the case anymore. I'd agree about the wear and tear, I also think there was a lot of weight on his shoulders last season aswell, after having such a good season previously.

I got the impression talking to him at the Awards Dinner that a lot of it is down to confidence with him, especially when it comes to using his left. I said that I’d seen him put a fair few great balls in with his left, he reckoned it was more about luck than skill, but I’m not having that. When he is at the top of his game and feeling good, he can do it. Who was it that said that the more he practiced, the luckier he got?

I got the impression talking to him at the Awards Dinner that a lot of it is down to confidence with him, especially when it comes to using his left. I said that I’d seen him put a fair few great balls in with his left, he reckoned it was more about luck than skill, but I’m not having that. When he is at the top of his game and feeling good, he can do it. Who was it that said that the more he practiced, the luckier he got?

Arnold Palmer? Gary Player? It was one of the old school golfers im sure....

Taylor was awesome when he first began on the left then couldn't reproduce the same stuff after a while.....so nothing's changed in that sense. I'd just put it down to a better working midfield allowing him to reproduce what he did on the left at first. Still think he could do the same and even more on the right, but that's not as necessary at present now Lids is improving in that position and Smalley is vying for a spot too.