League One North & South

Does anybody think this would be a good idea?? Combine the current League One & Two and then split into two leagues geographically. Scrap the play offs and have two up two down from each section. Does anybody know why this format was scrapped in the first place? Would surely help clubs in the current climate with travelling expenses and stuff, not to mention larger gates. Surely it's better to play Stockport, Rochdale, Bury etc than have 3 fans turning up from Cheltenham and Swindon every other week.

Discuss.

Edited by JB_OAFC

Discussed it a few times, but it does have drawbacks.

The main one being that if four teams from the south finish in the bottom four of the championship,how could you place two of them in the northern league

Aye it's tricky. You'd have to just say that at the start of each season, the 24 most northerly teams play in the northern section. So for example, a team from the Midlands (Walsall for instance) may be playing in the Southern league one year but the next season if two southern teams come down from the Championship they move into the Northern section. It's essentially the same league after all.

Aye it's tricky. You'd have to just say that at the start of each season, the 24 most northerly teams play in the northern section. So for example, a team from the Midlands (Walsall for instance) may be playing in the Southern league one year but the next season if two southern teams come down from the Championship they move into the Northern section. It's essentially the same league after all.

They do this in the league below the conference ( conference north and south ) I like the way it is.

So realistically it will never work,if southern teams keep getting relegated we could end up playing teams like Cheltenham anyway*

*I'm still talking sense at 10.10pm on a friday night:shock:

Edited by SAV

I've never been one to agree with the north and south divisions etc.

Yes it has its pluses for fans with shorter distances to travel but i think the idea of following your team around the country, including down south, is much better and also suits exiles elsewhere with a chance to see Oldham play. Also creates a fussy issue as mentioned above incase two north and south teams aren't relegated etc.

I'm completely the opposite to Ste. I think this is a great idea (although not a new one) for what are struggling teams in these divisions. The idea that Southern or Northern teams are going to continually get relegated isn't going to happen. It will increase gates, and in times of stupidly expensive travel - will be cheaper for the common man.

I'd miss boozy days out in Brighton/Bournemouth/Brentford/Bristol though.

This has already happened alot in the Conference North and South. Last season in the Conference north longest journey was Workington to Kettering.

I'm completely the opposite to Ste. I think this is a great idea (although not a new one) for what are struggling teams in these divisions. The idea that Southern or Northern teams are going to continually get relegated isn't going to happen. It will increase gates, and in times of stupidly expensive travel - will be cheaper for the common man.

I'd miss boozy days out in Brighton/Bournemouth/Brentford/Bristol though.

I have to say, even as an exile I totally see the logic in this, I think the issue of teams getting relegated/promoted are just details that would get worked out, and it would make massively more sense for anyone.... from a personal point of view it would be crap, however there would still be the cups, and also it wouldnt matter when we get promoted anyway!

After Corney's rant from not understanding why no-one turns up for cheltenham i think it wouold make a lot of chairman very happy... and imagine having 15 or so proper local derbies (plus aways) a season... would be fantastic for fans and bank balances alike...

Discussed it a few times, but it does have drawbacks.

The main one being that if four teams from the south finish in the bottom four of the championship,how could you place two of them in the northern league

I think regionalised leagues is the way forward -

Makes absolutely no sense in teams like torquay playing darlington.

They should have 3 main divisons - Premier , championship and league 1 as is.

Then league 2 and the premier blue square regionalised.

Under the Blue square every other league is regionalised already so it is only a matter a joining up the last 2 leagues.

Less travel , bigger crowds which will lead to more money for the clubs.

Smaller league clubs are struggling and the Football league do very little to help.

As for the question about 4 southern teams getting relegated from league 1 then do what they did previously.

The 4 nearest geographical teams (ie usually the midland teams) change to which ever north or south to equal them out.

It worked perfectly ok before.

Edited by losesome