Amir Khan

I don't really get this - sure he's full of himself, but so are most boxers. It''s been very hard picking fights for him, no promoter in his right mind would throw a young kid in with a top hard-hitting pro in his first few fights, but it's been hard for them to find people able to stand up for long enough for him to gain the experience he needs.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really get this - sure he's full of himself, but so are most boxers. It''s been very hard picking fights for him, no promoter in his right mind would throw a young kid in with a top hard-hitting pro in his first few fights, but it's been hard for them to find people able to stand up for long enough for him to gain the experience he needs.

So what is the answer then. Can't go down a weight division. Go up a division and fight bigger punchers than Prescott?

Ideally he could do with getting out of the limelight a bit and working up from British level to European but with the Sky PPV contract in the bag I don't think there's a chance of that happening.

Will be very interesting to see who they pick as his next opponent. Already talk of a rematch.

So what is the answer then. Can't go down a weight division. Go up a division and fight bigger punchers than Prescott?

Ideally he could do with getting out of the limelight a bit and working up from British level to European but with the Sky PPV contract in the bag I don't think there's a chance of that happening.

Will be very interesting to see who they pick as his next opponent. Already talk of a rematch.

I only have questions! Physically I think he could put two stone on no problem at all but as you say the shots are going to get harder just as much as he gains power. He just needs to defend properly I guess, anyone who gets caught with big hooks to the jaw is at risk of going down.

I only have questions! Physically I think he could put two stone on no problem at all but as you say the shots are going to get harder just as much as he gains power. He just needs to defend properly I guess, anyone who gets caught with big hooks to the jaw is at risk of going down.

Exactly.

As was said on the radio earlier, there'll be a few down at Sky with bigger headaches than Khan this morning!

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Not been funny this guy is british, so where does all the hatred come from? Don't you want to have a british champion? Amir Khan is a confident, likeable guy. Why are you all so elated?

If we were talking prince nassem hamed I would agree with you lot because he was arrogant and use to taunt his opponents when they were knocked down. Amir Khan is a true professional I hope he comes back from this setback (although I have m doubts).

So I ask you, why the hatred Amir Khan???

Edited by laticsmad

Not been funny this guy is british, so where does all the hatred come from? Don't you want to have a british champion? Amir Khan is a confident, likeable guy. Why are you all so elated?

If we were talking prince nassem hamed I would agree with you lot because he was arrogant and use to taunt his opponents when they were knocked down. Amir Khan is a true professional I hope he comes back from this setback (although I have m doubts).

I agree about Khan being likeable, but is there much 'hatred' in this thread?

He seems like a decent enough guy to me but I've never been that convinced by him as a boxer.

I agree about Khan being likeable, but is there much 'hatred' in this thread?

He seems like a decent enough guy to me but I've never been that convinced by him as a boxer.

Hatred is perhaps the wrong word! delight that he has lost when he is british and is doing his best for the coutry. I can't understand why anybody would be happy he lost last night!

I agree he is far from becoming a world champion!

Well okay, why do so many hate Manure? Just because he's British doesn't mean he should be liked, I mean is it two people he's knocked down.....in his car?

My question still hasn't been answered. why hate Khan? He's a pleasent and likable british boxer and he was fighting a guy from Columbia yesterday! When england play argentina (or whoever) do you want the other country to win!

Because he's cocky (believed his own inflated ego courtesy of the media, his family and fans), over hyped, over-rated and about time he stepped into the ring to fight someone decent - and didnt even last a minute. He finally got found out for what people who didnt believe all the media knew he really was. Average at best.

I'd much rather see someone like John Murray get the respect from the press than Khan.

Just because he's british fighting someone from another country doesnt mean you have to want him to win. That is only true in things like the Olympics - where nations are up against one another competing in medals tables, etc. When it comes to boxing - whereas professional boxing it's down to the individual regardless of nationality.

Take Tennis for example and Murray. Just because he's British doesnt mean everyone likes him. He's the tennis equivalent to Khan. Cocky, Overhyped, Over-rated and believes what the media say to inflate his ego when he's done nothing. It's the reason I cant stand him either.

People dont like overhyped "celebs" who believe their own ego when in reality. They've achieved sweet f.a.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

He's cocky as hell, simple as. Thought he could drive his BMW with no licence or insurance at 155mph on the M62, didn't go to court relying on his fancy hangers on. Then bowls someone over in the centre of Bolton. Hasn't proved his worth in the ring and yet strutted in as if he was WORLD champion. At least Hamed could do the business in the ring even if he was cocky out of it.

God luck to Khan but he's no Hatton, Lewis, Calzaghe, Woodall, Sugar Ray etc. Just thinks hes better than he has proved. The boxing equivalent of Tim Henman?

Abit like hughes then with his driving record! I wonder if you have the same dislike towards hughes, or is this a case of double standards?

Edited by laticsmad

Because he's cocky (believed his own inflated ego courtesy of the media, his family and fans), over hyped, over-rated and about time he stepped into the ring to fight someone decent - and didnt even last a minute. He finally got found out for what people who didnt believe all the media knew he really was. Average at best.

I'd much rather see someone like John Murray get the respect from the press than Khan.

Just because he's british fighting someone from another country doesnt mean you have to want him to win. That is only true in things like the Olympics - where nations are up against one another competing in medals tables, etc. When it comes to boxing - whereas professional boxing it's down to the individual regardless of nationality.

Take Tennis for example and Murray. Just because he's British doesnt mean everyone likes him. He's the tennis equivalent to Khan. Cocky, Overhyped, Over-rated and believes what the media say to inflate his ego when he's done nothing. It's the reason I cant stand him either.

People dont like overhyped "celebs" who believe their own ego when in reality. They've achieved sweet f.a.

I don't think he is cocky at all. not in naseem hamed type way anyway!

I don't think he is cocky at all. not in naseem hamed type way anyway!

Difference being that Nas was cocky because it was part of his image and he was a show man - from his entrance right through to his style of boxing. He gave the fans a show. That and he could actually last against decent opponents.

Even still. I'm pretty sure there would have been people celebrating Nas getting beat by Barrera

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Difference being that Nas was cocky because it was part of his image and he was a show man - from his entrance right through to his style of boxing. He gave the fans a show. That and he could actually last against decent opponents.

Even still. I'm pretty sure there would have been people celebrating Nas getting beat by Barrera

Yes me! Do you think it was acceptable for Naseem to mock his opponent whom he had just knocked to the floor in a fight? he did this a fair bit in his younger days! Met naseem once andhe was a proper arrogant sod, believed his own hype but was show up by barrera!

Yes me! Do you think it was acceptable for Naseem to mock his opponent whom he had just knocked to the floor in a fight? he did this a fair bit in his younger days! Met naseem once andhe was a proper arrogant sod, believed his own hype but was show up by barrera!

what happened to your comment about "he's british, so you should support him."

As for whether some of Nas's post fight comments were acceptable. The main difference between Nas and Khan is that Nas had a right to be cocky. Look at where he was fighting when he got beat in the 12th by Berrara. The MGM grand. He was fighting a world class opponent who's been world champion 4 times in three different weight classes That fight went the distance - Khan's was a contest for about 25 seconds.

Nas had a right to believe the hype and be cocky, because he was in his day a good fighter and entertainer. Whereas Khan, well last night made it plainly obvious.

Rocky - andy murray is two sets up to Nadal and is ranked 4th in the world. That makes him world class - like him or not.

Just because someone isn't the very very best, doesn't mean they aren't great. At the moment, on form there are only 3 men in the entire world better than Andy Murray. I dont particularly like him, but at least he'd backing his cockiness up.

what happened to your comment about "he's british, so you should support him."

As for whether some of Nas's post fight comments were acceptable. The main difference between Nas and Khan is that Nas had a right to be cocky. Look at where he was fighting when he got beat in the 12th by Berrara. The MGM grand. He was fighting a world class opponent who's been world champion 4 times in three different weight classes That fight went the distance - Khan's was a contest for about 25 seconds.

Nas had a right to believe the hype and be cocky, because he was in his day a good fighter and entertainer. Whereas Khan, well last night made it plainly obvious.

In my eyes Khan is pretty much a gentleman in and out of the ring hence the reason I support him. Naseem, however, was real cocky sod and treated his opponents with real distain. therefore, british or not I was never going support him. You can be a world champion and not be cocky. just look Calazage!

Entertainment fair enough, mocking your opponent is bang out of order!

Khan believed his own hype too and was shown up last night. Wasn't the original plan to stay amateur and go for gold in the 2008 Olympics? First boxer to be shown on Sky Box Office who wasn't a reigning world champion. Splitting from ITV to chase the cash. Clearly believed he'd sail through the 5 fight deal with them. The marketing department at Sky have got some tough times ahead with this one. He wants it all too soon. Maybe now he'll take the reality check and reassess things.

Quite how it will all unravel now is anyones guess but it'll be very interesting to see.

Not cocky? Gentleman? He's just a simple Bolton lad who can box better than most but not World Class like Hamed and you acuse me of double standards, opinions eh! I'll stick with mine. The driving is simply another case of little boy has too much cash and big ideas Hughes was another idiot behind a wheel seeing as you brought him up but he did have a licence and insurance to start with which Khan didn't. It was only luck he didn't hit someone...he did that on the 2nd occasion.

:shock: difference is mate he didn't kill somebody

Bloody Prescott should have jabbed him for a few more rounds, i had him to ko Khan in the 8th at 125/1, the bookies really did believe all the hype in the media that Khan is the next big thing.

During his interview this week Khan was talking about fighting Ricky Hatton (legend), this was a couple of days before fighting Prescott and showing no respect at all to his opponent who was about to demolish him, Khan is a decent fighter but not a world champion in my eyes until he learns to put his hands up to defend himself he is going to smell the canvas quite a few more times in his career.