Bristol Rovers - Pub

I heard of my brother who has lived in Bristol for 6 years (various bits) that Montpellier is a bit rough (not as rough as St. Pauls- which is like Moss Side) but probably not the place where you want to go if you don't know where you are going and can't speak like Vicky Pollard, don't know much about St. Weburghs. Last year I went out in Bristol after the Yeovil game and it was quite good, but thought it wasn't up to the standards of Manchester/Newcastle.

Ahhhh... but that was before the coming of the 'New' Bristol... and the arrival of Cabot Circus ...*

... Montpellier is a bit crap, not really defined as a region... in between St Pauls and Gloucester road.... which as mentioned are Bristol's equavalent of Moss Side and Fallowfield....

Student City mate.... and Rovers ground is at the top of Gloucester Road... one of the main student streets.... Tuesday nightr - Choose your weapons, head to some pubs down gloucester road, then take your pick in the centre...

... however, as I ahve a 2-day work conference the 2-days after, there is absolutley no way I will be joining you.... errrr.... well, maybe...

Cheers mate for the tip mate. I attended a few conferences down in Bristol as part of an old job in about 2000/01. I think I had a pretty good time in some of the local pubs and clubs, though I can’t remember them very well and a conference is definitely not the best place to be when you have a hangover. Though I’ve never learnt from that one myself!

I'm posting this under the 'pub' thread to bump it.

I send an article about the Ernie Flag to each club we're visiting, for inclusion in the match programme. Bristol Rovers have promised to include the article and have pointed out that they ran an obituary on Ernie in an earlier programme, and that one of their players, Rickie Lambert who played with him at Rochdale, turned out in a testimonial game and attended Ernie's funeral.

I'm posting this under the 'pub' thread to bump it.

I send an article about the Ernie Flag to each club we're visiting, for inclusion in the match programme. Bristol Rovers have promised to include the article and have pointed out that they ran an obituary on Ernie in an earlier programme, and that one of their players, Rickie Lambert who played with him at Rochdale, turned out in a testimonial game and attended Ernie's funeral.

They did indeed, it was in the prog for their game vs hereford which I was at (6-1 to rovers!) missed latics vs cheltenham though :(

We will be heading to the same pub as last year - The sportsman and Annexe (not the god-forsken hell-hole opposite the ground - The queen Vic???)

Sportsman is a great pub to head for early doors - myself and S_W should eb there at about 5ish (Taxi's permitting before Diego pipes up!)

Link is here - Sportsman

And full directions on this thread... Thread Linky...

From temple meads to the ground it is a fair old trek - you have to jump in a taxi, will probably cost you £5-10... to be honest, the city centre is far enough away from temple means to mean you are probably just best heading stright to the ground, which is just off gloucester road, which is the main student area and has loads of boozers... inc the sportsman & annexe

As for the city centre - not really that great, have your usual fair of Sports Cafe, Weatherspoons, walkabout etc if you fancy it - just head to Corn Street... its about a 10 minute walk from temple meads... just head straight out of the station, follow signs for the city centre and its one big road, then at the first main junction you come to turn left and there you go... just cross over the river, pass the brigstow hotel on your left and turn righ for chain-pub-a-rama.

... however, as I say, i'd jump in a taxi and head for gloucester road...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Bit of a celebration tomorrow apparently, as they're reopening a stand.

For as long as stocks last, we will be giving away lots of Blackthorn merchandise, which will include promotional t-shirts and baseball caps. And, to cap it all, we will be selling Blackthorn Cider at a special promotional price in the bars around the ground. <--- From the Rovers site

I mailed an official at their club to see if away fans could get some of this cheap booze:

We will allow away fans in the main Clubhouse bars for tomorrows game . This is where the promotions will be taking place ! Get there early it is very popular down here !

Woo hoo!

Tomorrow’s headline:

“Gloucestershire and Co Durham Police pool intelligence after Crazed Cider Fiend goes on Bristol Rampage.”

Sadly due to the Tuesday nightness this is a strictly driving affair, although this time I'll be stopping off down there(ish) rather than driving all the way back up to Durham like last year (having eight cans of Red Bull in the process). So my Cider related offences will remain at their current level.

Not sure Swindon will be quite the same though.

The only problem being that Blackthorn is up there with the worst of the ciders.

I don't want to appear to be the prophet of doom, and we know that omens are rubbish. We also know that lightning doesn't stike twice in the same place (except for those partial to the White variety), and that Latics are now more careful than before to look out for banana skins. So I post this on the basis of a piece of useless trivia.

The last time Blaxkthorn sponsored the home end of the ground, Rovers won the opening match 3-0. :peepwall:

The only problem being that Blackthorn is up there with the worst of the ciders.

Anyone who drinks Blackthorn in the city which is home to cider unless cheap needs shooting. A lot of pubs in the Bristol metropolis will do much better (and much stronger) ciders.

BTW Diego almost but the end result was the same.