Amir Khan

9 September 2008

Khan vows to retain trainer Rubio

Amir Khan is planning to remain with his new trainer Jorge Rubio despite the Cuban's fateful suggestion of Breidis Prescott as an opponent....

20 September 2008

Trainer Rubio is ditched by Khan

Amir Khan has fired trainer Jorge Rubio after just one fight as he looks to bounce back from suffering the first defeat of his career...

7 October 2008

Khan seeks redemption with Roach

Britain's Amir Khan is confident he can rebuild his career under the tutelage of renowned American Freddie Roach. The 21-year-old has moved to Los Angeles to work with Mike Tyson's former trainer following September's stunning defeat by Breidis Prescott...

Khan now alienates whatever UK fanbase he had left by buggering off to L.A. in the vain hope that he can turn his career around. If gets put on his arse one more time he'll have to hang his gloves up. I've just heard him on an interview on 5Live, and he's going on about "how much better it'll be sparring with top boxers innit, instead of er, instead of - - - on me own in t'gym. I can be a lonely place can t'gym...". How to condescend everybody who has worked with you since your stinking career started Amir, way to go son.

What an absolute tosspot.

I still don't get the apparent antipathy towards him. He's hardly the first fighter to change trainer (Hatton recently, Hamed) or go to the States to try and improve himself as a boxer (Benn, Eubank and many others). And the fact that he has realised that he has weaknesses in his game (as well as certain strengths, or can we not see them?) and is trying to do something about them - well, burn the bastard. The easy thing to do would have been to stick with what he knows and get a string of bums along to knock out, he's actually trying to make it.

A repeat of Audley Harrison? Maybe...

Seems ironic that they fought on the same card last month. He's a tosspot. Can't stand him.

..and Khan is not worthy enough to be in the same thread with such names as Eubank and Benn.

A repeat of Audley Harrison? Maybe...

Seems ironic that they fought on the same card last month.

Come off it. Khan has a suspect chin, Fraudley would love for his head, heart and everything else about him to even be considered suspect. He has never been in the ring with a decent boxer despite having a full adult career gaining pro experience and fighting dozens of hours of hours as a pro, it's hardly Khan's fault he's been able to smash up most people he's been in with. The comparisons just aren't there.

Come off it. Khan has a suspect chin, Fraudley would love for his head, heart and everything else about him to even be considered suspect. He has never been in the ring with a decent boxer despite having a full adult career gaining pro experience and fighting dozens of hours of hours as a pro, it's hardly Khan's fault he's been able to smash up most people he's been in with. The comparisons just aren't there.

Are we talking behind the wheel when you say 'smashed'?

Harrison ran off when it got a bit hot over here, after it all kicked off - ran away. Big fat puff. Of Khan, Warren said right from the start - "we're not in any rush" - bollocks. "Must avoid risks" - so they chose a fighter that he could beat, or so they thought, Prescott ain't gonna set the bloody world alight but he made Khan look daft - especially on his FIRST defence. All of a sudden he's dropping his trainer that he picked out himself after one bout, and claimed that his training was crap. Oh and don't forget this is Khans fourth manager in two years :lol: He's a joke, he's going to amount to absolutely f**k all...

"If he's chinny - he's chinny, ain't no training gonna change that..."

:censored:house.

I still don't get it. If he's not good enough then it will be shown in the ring, I don't see why so many people seem to hope that it is proven. He's got a suspect chin. Why does that make him a :censored:house? It's the one thingt there's not much that any amount of heart can do anything about. And his car smash? Thank God I don't admire any sportspeople with driving convictions, previous or future...

Andy, he believes he is a world beater while he has done nothing. Now there's nothing wrong with having a high opinion of yourself, but to be talking about fighting Hatton before you have been properly tested just proves how inflated his ego is.

Andy, he believes he is a world beater while he has done nothing. Now there's nothing wrong with having a high opinion of yourself, but to be talking about fighting Hatton before you have been properly tested just proves how inflated his ego is.

Little interest left in boxing these days but I'd certainly watch Kahn go in with him. :lol:

Khan has come out and said "I'll be faster and more aggressive than ever before".

Wrong. You don't need to be faster or more aggressive. You've enough on that front. What about sorting your defence out to protect your chin. Nah, you keep being faster and more aggressive "than ever before".

This despite his new coach saying he wants him to work more on defensive skills.

Khan just needs higher hands. The Prescott fight was a rare slip and Warren let him out of his cotton wool against a fighter who was taller and stronger than him for the first time in his career and Khan didn’t know how to deal with it.

Khan could do with some training on the inside too, as if he ever comes against someone who would chase him down then he will be in big trouble.

Most of all though, Khan needs to split with Warren and find a promoter who will do it the right way rather than throw him in with turkeys until the fans get bored and then throw him in with someone who can bang when he clearly hasn’t a chin.

Khan will never be a world champion as his chin is simply not strong enough, evidence being feather fists Limond dropping him and Gomez cuffing him and rolling his eyes into the back of the head, before he ever got his flush on the chin as he did with Prescott.

Khan isn't the first nor will he be the last very good amateur boxer to fail at being a pro (but then again a lot of pros don't have great amateur careers). In amateur boxing its about quantity over quality and the pro world is the other way round. My Dad watched Khan a few times as he was growing up (he's stitched him and his opponents up more than once) and his chin never got tested, in the Olympics, his chin never really got tested and now in the pros his chin got tested and has failed. I don't like his personality, nor do I like the example he sets for some of the youngsters, but he is British and fights for Britain which makes him more cheerworthy than any Yank, Columbian, German or whoever he's in the ring against (if he was fighting a fellow Brit I would probably cheer for the other guy though). However, some of the abuse he got and some of the racist songs than started when he came on the TV in a pub in Tranmere from Oldham fans made me ashamed to support the same football team (you know who you are). If he does well then fair play to him, but if he fails very few people will remember him in 10 years time apart from a statistic from an Olympics, I think it will be the second but you never know.

The guy has ability, he's got fast hands and if he worked on his defence drastically he could become a good fighter. The hostility towards Khan after his defeat was sickening. Sure he's a little confident perhaps cocky, but he's young and has been paraded on terrestrial television and touted as "the next big thing" by his promoters. It makes me laugh that so many people hate Khan but when it comes to Hatton will defend him at the slightest thing said against him. Hatton has turned into a cúnt since the whole Mayweather fight and absolutely plays his mindless fanbase like sheep "Yeah av got the greatest p4p fans on da planet....(come and pay 1000s of pounds to watch me abroad and to help fill my pocket)". He lost my respect after refusing to fight Junior Witter....an English Light-Welterweight World champion, like Ricky (for that reason alone they should have fought). Who deserved his big chance, a chance to prove his claims he was better than Hatton, a chance to get that pay day to secure his financial future for himself and his family and Hatton kept dodging him and making excuses.

Guest M_OAFC

The reason Khan's popularity is suffering so badly after one defeat is because of the way he was overhyped to start with, which isn't entirely his fault.

If his prospects of being top dog in that weight division had been portrayed more realistically by his PR machine and the media at the start of his career, and those prospects did and arguably still do exist, then the public would perhaps have taken his recent defeat in context and been rooting for him to get back on track.

As it was, to listen to the media drooling over him you'd have thought it was a mere formality that he'd be undisputed world champion in no time at all.

Whilst there are a reasonable number that look out for the really big fights, in terms of real enthusiasts who watch boxing week in week out and have good technical knowledge of the sport, boxing is still pretty much a minority sport. So when the media wax lyrical about someone in the manner they did with Khan it's no wonder that a sizeable portion of the sporting public buy into the hype.

And that's exactly what it was hype. Few outside of Greater Manchester knew much about Ricky Hatton till he beat Kostya Tszyu and that was the 39th bout of his career. And how many outside the hardcore boxing fans can honestly say they'd heard of Joe Calzaghe till he beat Eubank, the 23rd fight of Calzaghe's career. Yet Khan was being spoken about like some sort of legend before he'd ever stepped foot in a professional ring. Admittedly he'd just won an Olympic silver medal which was undeniably just cause for optimism. But compare that to James DeGale who went one better by winning gold only a matter of weeks ago and already I'll bet there are plenty of casual boxing fans who though aware that Britain won a boxing gold in Beijing, would struggle to remember the name of bloke that did it.

So what made Khan so special? Was he a cut above the 3 fighters mentioned above? Not for me. His hand speed truly is world class and that's what's won him the majority of his fights IMO, and his punching power is impressive at that weight. But at what point prior to all the hype did he ever demonstrate the ring craft and ability to make himself hard to hit that are inevitably required to scale the heights being spoke of? People who say he always looked like he got caught too easily are probably trying to be a bit too clever, that facet simply hadn't been tested when the hype started. It rarely is tested for any fighter destined for the world'd top 10 unitl a good way into his pro career when opponents become more skilled. And that is why, until it was tested, the hype ought to have been reigned in and kept in context. Once the hype was allowed to run wild like it did it was as inevitable as it is unfair that if Khan was found out, his adoring public would quickly turn on him feeling cheated at the apparent fraud they bought into when believing that greatness was only a matter of time away.

As I said at the start, the blame for the hype does not lay entirely at Khan's door, and to that end I do feel a bit sorry for the bloke. He undoubtedly perpetuated it to a degree though and any sympathy I have for him is tempered by the over-riding impression of arrogance and belief he is above it all that I can't help but detect about the man, an impression perhaps best demonstrated by his antics outside the ring. We as Latics fans know better than most about not being too quick to judge somebody guilty of motoring offences. But despite him being clocked at 140mph, it was his attitude towards justice being served that annoyed many far more than the motoring offences themselves. For example his failure to turn up at court to answer a charge without even bothering to offer an explanation, thus forcing the judge to reschedule and bring everybody back at a later date at the cost of the tax payer. Deciding in spite of his wealth not to bother his arse to get any motor insurance like everyone else has to. And having the sheer audacity to plead not guilty to carless driving forcing the tax payer to fund a trial despite admitting that he was speeding, overtaking in the wrong lane and had gone through a red light when he broke the leg of the pedestrian he hit. So in respect of his arrogance, I'm not sorry to see him fail.

I believe that being too easy to hit is his problem more so than a suspect chin. Even if you have a reasonable chin, if you get hit on it too often you're eventually going to hit the deck. But he's not as finished as some would have you believe. I still think his hand speed will be enough to see him come back and reach a very good world ranking, winning back some of his supporters in the process. But in terms of being the very best, he will always get caught with good shots too frequently to quite scale that peak.

Hopefully he will also return to the ring more humble and with a greater respect for the privileged lifestyle that his boxing skills have afforded him. If he does I'll be rooting for him more than ever. I'm not holding my breath though. That said, he's got a long way to go to match the arrogance and hype that surrounds some footballers, but that's another debate!

The guy has ability, he's got fast hands and if he worked on his defence drastically he could become a good fighter. The hostility towards Khan after his defeat was sickening. Sure he's a little confident perhaps cocky, but he's young and has been paraded on terrestrial television and touted as "the next big thing" by his promoters. It makes me laugh that so many people hate Khan but when it comes to Hatton will defend him at the slightest thing said against him. Hatton has turned into a cúnt since the whole Mayweather fight and absolutely plays his mindless fanbase like sheep "Yeah av got the greatest p4p fans on da planet....(come and pay 1000s of pounds to watch me abroad and to help fill my pocket)". He lost my respect after refusing to fight Junior Witter....an English Light-Welterweight World champion, like Ricky (for that reason alone they should have fought). Who deserved his big chance, a chance to prove his claims he was better than Hatton, a chance to get that pay day to secure his financial future for himself and his family and Hatton kept dodging him and making excuses.

Did you see Witters last fight? He was worse than Khan.