The death of the corner kick

Why oh why do we fanny about which more often than not results in a blocked cross? Takes the pish. And when we do finally get some in the box Maher hits the first man THREE times!

When we do manage to beat the first man people like Taylor are attacking it with Gregan loitering near the keeper. Why? Scunny showed us how to do it. Two centre halves bombing in from outside the box at the last minute, more often than not they'll beat a standing jump. Get it on target and you're unfortunate not to score.

Pathetic. I'm gonna resist talking about the rest of the performance.

E4e

GBAGE

Why oh why do we fanny about which more often than not results in a blocked cross? Takes the pish. And when we do finally get some in the box Maher hits the first man THREE times!

When we do manage to beat the first man people like Taylor are attacking it with Gregan loitering near the keeper. Why? Scunny showed us how to do it. Two centre halves bombing in from outside the box at the last minute, more often than not they'll beat a standing jump. Get it on target and you're unfortunate not to score.

E4e

GBAGE

Agree totally. From set pieces we are near 0 threat when do we ever score from them 1 or 2 a season???

We probably get 5 (minimum) a game yet rarely do they amount to anything.

The players dont seem to have any game plan - no one goes from front post to back ala tony adams or run from deep like the scunthorpe defenders did. We havent been a threat from corners for ages but they can win games if used well - its so damm annoying its like they dont practice or do any kind of training on them. We just f about with short corners which usually are crap and dont get me started on that free kick in the 1st half

We need a centre half in a mold of Andy Holden who used to attack corners like their was no tomorrow don't know why gregan can't do the same !

david eyres took a mean corner and set piece,and denis irwin also.

dont know if they practice them,but when i was a lad playing footy i used to practice till my leg felt like it was falling off.....

We need a centre half in a mold of Andy Holden who used to attack corners like their was no tomorrow don't know why gregan can't do the same !

Andy Holden couldn't attack a corner what dosen't get past the front post :angry:

E4e

GBAGE

The days when we had Shaun Garnett in the team I thought we'd score from a corner everytime we got one.

He flicked it on at the near post for someone to nod in behind him- usually Duxbury.

Now if that :censored:e side could manage it surely this lot can.

It's not just corners. We hardly ever seem to gain any advantage from throw-ins. Hughes lost the ball and chased their gy and pressed him into conceding a throw half way into their half. We then throw the ball back to Hazell, who passes it back to Crossley.

How frustrating must it be for Gregan and Hazell when they trot up for a corner, and we try the short corner that never produces anything?

Been convinced we are the least successful team at corners for years. Never seen any stats, but we seem to win a lot of corners but rarely score (or even look like scoring from them).

I also disagree about Eyres. Great great player who could take a mean free-kick but was not good at corners, same for Shez as well when he played. We have been very poor at corners for a number of years (Neil Pointen used to be decent - struggling to remember anyone since standing out).

The death of the "Come on Oldham" chant and arm movement when we get corners is evidence of this IMO - nobody thinks they will be any good.

However over the last few years under Shez I do think we have hit a new low.

We rarely swing the ball in, but instead faff about with short pass routines (with little success). The only player that looks like they can take a corner is Whittiker at the moment.

The 3 in row disgrace from Maher had me screming in frustration. You get one wrong (fair enough - can happen); you get a second wrong (less acceptable, especially to fail in the same manner i.e. short); to fail a thrid time is unforgivable. I would have accepted if he had over-compensated and over hit it, at least it would have shown some semblence of brain activity working out what was wrong.

Reminded me of Taylor a year ago.

For a team that gets a lot of corners, you would think we'd be better at them. If you are going to drop a short one to the near post (and thinking perhaps Saturday was not all Maher - read on) then you need a player to dart fowrard and get in front of the man to flick it on (Roger-stylee). I could see nobody trying that when Maher was takling them - but perhaps that was the signal he was giving and it was more the players in the box not performing rather than him?

Not sure - pretty sure after 2 I'd have given a different signal and lumped it into the mix to save the chorus of groans from the Chaddy etc.

It does seem to be common sense, doesn't it? Put in a swinging corner of good length at reasonable pace and have a couple of people arriving late in the box. That's how John Wark used to score all his goals for Ipswich and Liverpool. He got one like that for Ipswich at BP, which I think was the game in which Andy Ritchie scored with a back heel, although my memory is not great for stuff like that.