Gregan [MERGED]

That's the crux of the argument. He isn't our best defender.

PROS

- Wins headers in his immediate zone.

- Times tackles very well.

CONS

- Current back four not talking and unsettled and disorganised.

- Too slow and susceptible to being turned.

If the argument about Liddell stood up, why aren't we getting the assists now? It's because he is not getting the space. It's a team game and you are not giving credit to the other midfield players. You are simply projecting a statistic on it's own.

As far as defensive stats are concerned, a back four is better off without Gregan in his present form.

Bollocks.

As for Liddell - I think a league recognised stat, one where he had 50% more assists than Mr Runner-up, was more than worth a mention in the debate about whether he should play/get a new deal. And I've seen him lay on a fair few chances this season.....

Do you disregard 'goals-scored' statistics too?

Edited by Stitch_KTF

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks.

As for Liddell - I think a league recognised stat, one where he had 50% more assists than Mr Runner-up, was more than worth a mention in the debate about whether he should play/get a new deal. And I've seen him lay on a fair few chances this season.....

Do you disregard 'goals-scored' statistics too?

You seem to deliberately miss my point!!!

I will repeat my question.

Could he put the crosses in if he didn't get the space created by the other midfield players? Yes or no?

Good debate this, I'm enjoying this one!!!

And BOLLOCKS to your argument about Gregan!!!

No. Could David Beckham?

Im missing your point, but not deliberately.

I agree that Liddell puts over quality crosses and given the space he will drop it into a position where the forward will benefit, but he needs the other players around him to work the defenders to make that space. Therefore, if the midfield unit is working well, he is an asset and the team benefits. If the midfield is not playing well, then there is not a good enough end product. You can't laud Liddell's stats without acknowledging the other players.

My point about the defence is not Stam on his own but in two separate defensive partnerships we have won more and conceded less than when Gregan plays. This is not about whether Gregan is/is not our best defender, but what is our best defence.

I agree that Liddell puts over quality crosses and given the space he will drop it into a position where the forward will benefit, but he needs the other players around him to work the defenders to make that space. Therefore, if the midfield unit is working well, he is an asset and the team benefits. If the midfield is not playing well, then there is not a good enough end product. You can't laud Liddell's stats without acknowledging the other players.

My point about the defence is not Stam on his own but in two separate defensive partnerships we have won more and conceded less than when Gregan plays. This is not about whether Gregan is/is not our best defender, but what is our best defence.

If the best Oldham Athletic defence doesn't include Sean Gregan then Stefan Stam isn't a dutchman.