Gregan [MERGED]

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny this, I didnt go to the game but when I read the report in the paper and it said Free header for the first I said straight away, bet thats Gregans doing. Been happening alot of late.

Ive just watched the highlights on Virgins web site and both goals were shockers. he about stops twice chasing for the second goal likes hes given up. First header he was about 4yards from his man.

just to make it clear to all,under no circumstances are you allowed to slag off any part of gregans play of hughes for that matter,for the rest of the team its a free for all,its in the rules.ktf.

Guest oa_exile
Nope. Didn't say anything of the sort.

When he's playing well he's our best player. When he's not playing so well he's still worth his place.

Ahhh , I thought you meant on the lines of :wink:

It will take an injury to get a change, Shez won't drop his mate

just to make it clear to all,under no circumstances are you allowed to slag off if you know anything about football, and recognise our third division status, you should be grateful to have players of the standing of Gregan and Hughes, and recognise that their positive contribution far, far outweighs the negative any part of gregans play of hughes for that matter,for the rest of the team its a free for all,its in the rules.ktf.

Ahhh , I thought you meant on the lines of :wink:

No no....nothing has ever led me to believe that Gregan and Shez are mates. Shez clearly values the presence of experienced quality in a team largely made up of home-grown youth.

Others would prefer a dutchman who is half the player, has half the experience, half the presence, half the pitch time and who wouldn't say boo to a goose.

The post is about Gregan and his poor form AT THE MOMENT. Nobody is saying the rest of the team are blameless but on Saturday he was the nearest defender to both goalscorers.

Well if he's the nearest then it is definately his fault. :unsure:

Good job we win every game when he doesn't play. :unsure:

Yes we didn't seem to miss him when he was out for about 4/5 months last season and didn't miss him atall during his suspension this year. :unsure:

Here's a thought perhaps the team/squad isn't as good as some on here seem to think and perhaps we haven't got as good a defence or individual defenders as some on here seem to think.

The league table doesn't lie, we lost on Saturday as a team, we were absolutely :censored:e and deserved absoutely nothing from the game and the same could be said of the Bristol Rovers, Swindon and Stockport performances.

No no....nothing has ever led me to believe that Gregan and Shez are mates. Shez clearly values the presence of experienced quality in a team largely made up of home-grown youth.

Others would prefer a dutchman who is half the player, has half the experience, half the presence, half the pitch time and who wouldn't say boo to a goose.

I, for one, would prefer Stam (seeing as his name has slipped your memory) and whose stats last season were better than Gregan's both last season and this. And in both partnerships Eardley/Trotman/Stam/Lomax and Eardley/Hazell/Stam/Lomax, we didn't have a this 'leader' so that rather makes a mockery of the leadership/presence argument.

I, for one, would prefer Stam (seeing as his name has slipped your memory) and whose stats last season were better than Gregan's both last season and this. And in both partnerships Eardley/Trotman/Stam/Lomax and Eardley/Hazell/Stam/Lomax, we didn't have a this 'leader' so that rather makes a mockery of the leadership/presence argument.

And yet Stam probably wouldn't even have had a new contract had it not been automatically triggered.

And yes of course the desire to have leadership and presence is something to make a mockery of, particularly when it comes from not only the most experienced, respected player at the club, but also the most talented.

For :censored:s sake.

:lol1:

Anyway......

Im thankful that despite the crap people spout about Greegs on here he wont be dropped under any circumstances whatsoever.

:tongue1:

And yet Stam probably wouldn't even have had a new contract had it not been automatically triggered.

And yes of course the desire to have leadership and presence is something to make a mockery of, particularly when it comes from not only the most experienced, respected player at the club, but also the most talented.

For :censored:s sake.

:lol1:

Anyway......

But you still don't comment on the fact we shipped fewer goals last season when Stam was present.

Experienced - yes.

Respected - no (Hence, the defensive communication problem we are having now).

Talented - I take it that's your little joke for the day. He's a stopper/resident on-field thug who shouts a lot and who is going through a bad patch.

But you still don't comment on the fact we shipped fewer goals last season when Stam was present.

Experienced - yes.

Respected - no (Hence, the defensive communication problem we are having now).

Talented - I take it that's your little joke for the day. He's a stopper/resident on-field thug who shouts a lot and who is going through a bad patch.

Nor will I. The goals against column is influenced by a lot more than the choice of one centre half. Generally your posts indicate to me that you ought to know that full well, but yet again you are getting carried away through your dislike for a player. Your dislike of Liddell at least had some sensible grounding..... :lol:

If you genuinely dont think Greegs is respected or talented then I really can't be arsed discussing footy with you any further. And if you were right, and I am the blinkered one, how on earth did he acquire the experience we agree he has?

By the way I was told by somebody in the know that the players feel more confident when Greegs plays. Apparently his great confidence and self-belief rubs off on them and they feel more comfortable with their leader on the pitch. I thanked the person in question for stating the obvious......

Nor will I. The goals against column is influenced by a lot more than the choice of one centre half. Generally your posts indicate to me that you ought to know that full well, but yet again you are getting carried away through your dislike for a player. Your dislike of Liddell at least had some sensible grounding..... :lol:

If you genuinely dont think Greegs is respected or talented then I really can't be arsed discussing footy with you any further. And if you were right, and I am the blinkered one, how on earth did he acquire the experience we agree he has?

By the way I was told by somebody in the know that the players feel more confident when Greegs plays. Apparently his great confidence and self-belief rubs off on them and they feel more comfortable with their leader on the pitch. I thanked the person in question for stating the obvious......

I do not have a dislike of any player in the squad, but if after a number of games a particular player (in this instance Gregan) is not performing then I am entitled to question his right to an automatic slot.

Your point regarding Gregan being a comfort to the other players would stand up to scrutiny if the 4 in the defence didn't play and inter-react like strangers. This is Gregan's primary role as captain and lead defender, he should be organising the others. If, as stated by other people on different posts, Jones is not playing as a left back then it is Gregan's job to make sure he does. Quite simply, Gregan is NOT performing and NOT leading. I am a committed Oldham fan and a Gregan fan when he is on form. He needs to be taken out of the starting 11 when a replacement is available so he can get out of his personal, automatic place comfort zone and get back to the standard we know he is capable of.

In general Gregan is as important a player as we have. Why can we not say this, yet admit that he has been a little on the gash side for periods in the last few weeks?

In general Gregan is as important a player as we have. Why can we not say this, yet admit that he has been a little on the gash side for periods in the last few weeks?

Agree to a point, but is and should he be, on current form, an automatic? Dropping him should (not saying will) give him the arse-kick to get him back to being hungry.

I do not have a dislike of any player in the squad, but if after a number of games a particular player (in this instance Gregan) is not performing then I am entitled to question his right to an automatic slot.

I suppose you are. It was your deeming of my comment that he is talented laughable that I took exception to.

Greegs may not have been at his best of late. But any notion of dropping him on the back of it is outrageous.

Maybe if the midfield stopped letting wave after wave of attack come straight through the middle the defence as a whole would look more comfortable, and the team concede fewer goals?

I suppose you are. It was your deeming of my comment that he is talented laughable that I took exception to.

Greegs may not have been at his best of late. But any notion of dropping him on the back of it is outrageous.

Maybe if the midfield stopped letting wave after wave of attack come straight through the middle the defence as a whole would look more comfortable, and the team concede fewer goals?

Apologies for the talented comment, Stitch.

I agree with the midfield bit, but my point at the moment is that certain players who are expected to lead by example are not.

The engine room is not firing at the moment. The space that Liddell had earlier in the season is now not there because we are not getting the ball to him quickly enough. His crosses were poor on Saturday as was Eardley's. I think now is the time to give Maher a runout. But is dropping Allott going to give us a solid midfield platform and the opportunity for our defence to become a unit again?

Or is dropping Whittaker going to lose us some attacking impetus?

No better or worse than anyone else on Saturday IMO, and if you take the season as a whole so far he has been one of our better players. So don't see why he should be singled out. If we are talking doughnuts, we know who ate all them don't we!!!!!

Edited by Eddie_m'gurk

No better or worse than anyone else on Saturday IMO, and if you take the season as a whole so far he has been one of our better players. So don't see why he should be singled out. If we are talking doughnuts, we know who ate all them don't we!!!!!

And was still sat in the changing rooms 25 mins after most had got changed and left on Saturday, spewin over his and the teams performance. Apparently he's the most determined player that one of our other senior players has ever come across.

Like has been said Greegs has been one of our best performers this season and makes the odd mistake like the rest of the team but every single one of them was garbage on Saturday no exceptions!

Gregan made a clear balls up for the first goal. But it was a soft free kick to give away (Whitaker) and the header was close enough to expect Crossley to save.

He may have been at fault for the second too (though it was more a lucky punt that landed kindly to be honest).

11 naff performances - not going to blame Gregan for the result.

Gregan made a clear balls up for the first goal. But it was a soft free kick to give away (Whitaker) and the header was close enough to expect Crossley to save.

He may have been at fault for the second too (though it was more a lucky punt that landed kindly to be honest).

11 naff performances - not going to blame Gregan for the result.

Despite his tendency to "lose the plot" from time to time, if half of the squad showed the determination and will to win as Greags does, we would be far more consistent in this division and less likely to be in it!