United Games in The 90's

Rocky_Latic

A Stockport fan, has just said he went to watch Latics a few times in the mid 90's, and recalls the games against United being 'very friendly affairs'. Particularly the replay at Maine Road.

That's not really how I remember them, despite only being a little nipper at the time. I remember the '94 game, when me, my brother, his mate and my dad ended up in a McDonalds which was anything but friendly. So much so, that I went hungry as we couldnt even make it too the front to order.

Also. Does anyone remember the song United used to sing about 'that' goal. I've had it sung to me on the train going to Forest last season, but I dont have a scooby what the words were anymore.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

I remember the replay in '90. Not very friendly at all. In fact, probably the most worried I have ever been at a match.

Me and my Father-in-law were stood in the corner which was packed. Nick Henry 'scored' (the ball did cross the line), and let's just say not many people jumped. They just jostled for position, them Mclair scored and the corner erupted. Cue lots of coppers dragging scum out, I'm not certain but they must have removed at leat 100. We just stared at each other cacking it. After the final whistle we got out onto the main road to people screaming in our faces and dancing in the street. Two cars had a bump on the road and the owners got out and just started singing, I rubbish you not, so no, not friendly at all.

A Stockport fan, has just said he went to watch Latics a few times in the mid 90's, and recalls the games against United being 'very friendly affairs'. Particularly the replay at Maine Road.

That's not really how I remember them, despite only being a little nipper at the time. I remember the '94 game, when me, my brother, his mate and my dad ended up in a McDonalds which was anything but friendly. So much so, that I went hungry as we couldnt even make it too the front to order.

Also. Does anyone remember the song United used to sing about 'that' goal. I've had it sung to me on the train going to Forest last season, but I dont have a scooby what the words were anymore.

I was up against the fence in the Kippax (1990 semi replay) separating us from the scum. It certainly was not friendly as they were donating large amounts of coins to us. Outside the ground afterwards wasnt pleasant - BAS****S!

The first 1990 game I know there was some serious serious trouble at that big pub that used to be right at the very end of Oldham Road in Manchester (next to the old Daily Express place)

The first '94 game ............ah sod it, I cant face typing anymore. I HATE THEM I HATE THEM

I was at the matches with Manure and they certainly weren't friendly atall.

They thought as usual they had a god given right to win and not just the match I mean every free kick, corner and throw-in.

There fans are absolute cretins who think Manure are the centre of the universe.

And I still say Hughes's goal at wembley was well after the match should have finished, the referee agreed to play on until they scored (that really winds them up).

As you might have gathered I ABSOLUTELY HATE THEM.

Edited by Hometownclub

They showed "That goal" on Tuesday night during the halftime interval of Manure Vs Euro XI game.

They had a montage of the curly-permed tosser, and I cringed when I saw it on the big screen in the pub.

Guest oa_exile

There has NEVER been a friendly game with Manure .......... i remember very well that 90's reply.... before , during and after :unsure:

Even in the 70's when i was in my early teans i can remember the "Red Army :devilish: " and what a nice bunch they where ! :sign0068:

The 90's pretty much the same ............row's to say the least , make Citeh look like saints , and them idiots well best left for another day ! (one friendly not to long ago springs to mind) :sign0068:

I've mentioned this before, and can't remember if anybody replied so does anybody recall a game against Chelsea in the 80's when a load of manyounighted turned up in the belief that they could join up with Latics and get at Chelsea. They came in the Chaddy and grouped up on the CP side, started moving accross the back signing "we hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea" or summat like that, when they got to half way all hell broke loose at the Chaddy charged at 'em witha "we hate manyou and we hate manyou", I was about 2 or 3 barriers up from the front behind the goal and looking around it was like one of them cartoons where theres a fight and all you can see is a huge dust ball with arms and legs flailing out of it. Eventually Barry 666 and his mates restored some order and hoyed the mancs out, of the ground and town, I think. I looked at the Chelsea fans on the RRE and you could see them pointing, probably all going :sign0094:

I've mentioned this before, and can't remember if anybody replied so does anybody recall a game against Chelsea in the 80's when a load of manyounighted turned up in the belief that they could join up with Latics and get at Chelsea. They came in the Chaddy and grouped up on the CP side, started moving accross the back signing "we hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea" or summat like that, when they got to half way all hell broke loose at the Chaddy charged at 'em witha "we hate manyou and we hate manyou", I was about 2 or 3 barriers up from the front behind the goal and looking around it was like one of them cartoons where theres a fight and all you can see is a huge dust ball with arms and legs flailing out of it. Eventually Barry 666 and his mates restored some order and hoyed the mancs out, of the ground and town, I think. I looked at the Chelsea fans on the RRE and you could see them pointing, probably all going :sign0094:

I'm sure that was the 4-1 defeat to Chelsea in October '88 Stipey :mmm: . I remeber 'cos the Scum were on Telly the day after v Everton - First live game of the season. Remember cacking it when it went off :peepwall: well I was only 11 at the time. When I realised it was Man Yoo my owd fella hads to give me a clip round the ear 'ole <_< to prevent me joining in! :violent111::stretcher:<_<

As for experiences of United's 'friendliness' as I had just turned 16 and wasn't a member, when we beat them 1-0 in '93 I had to go in the Looker Rocky Road paddock - non-members, full of Scummers who threatened to bash my head in for celebrating :bblue2: wildly and ripping the pish out of their sad Man Yoo asses :getbent: and it was looking decidedly ropey 'til a load of my owd fellas mates appeared behind me with about 10 mins to go, so one of the super tough Mancs gobbed off again about what they were going to do to a skinny 16 year old when a couple of the lads I knew proceeded to rearrange his route canal work free of charge! :sign0173: Just as Craig Fleming almost made it 2-0!

Could be MrP, not sure, thought it was earlier than that, don't recall it being so close to the pinch me season! If it wasn't I just looked on S.base it would be in '83, played them twice in that year, different seasons. I have it in me mind it was one of them cos manyou were at home on both occasions we were and I seem to remember thinking what a sad bunch of toshpots they were turning up at BP instead of going to the trafford arena, so who knew.

Could be MrP, not sure, thought it was earlier than that, don't recall it being so close to the pinch me season! If it wasn't I just looked on S.base it would be in '83, played them twice in that year, different seasons. I have it in me mind it was one of them cos manyou were at home on both occasions we were and I seem to remember thinking what a sad bunch of toshpots they were turning up at BP instead of going to the trafford arena, so who knew.

I cant remember that trouble at all. I must have assumed it was Chelsea fans and cast it from my mind - strange men turning up in the Chaddy and fighting was a regular enough occurence back in the day. Eeeeee, kids today - dont know they're born.

Racking my mind the only 'out of context' football fights I can remember are Carlisle in the Oldham end at Bradford and Hibernian fighting Sunderland at Roker Park along with our own delinquents. Oh, and Oldham at Bolton - I was there purely coincidentally I assure you - when they were down in Div4.

Exile. You cant act innocent. :tongue1: Afterall, wasnt it you who was saying to me on Sunday you used to run around whacking people at football when you were my age.

:stretcher::stretcher::who:

Only time i've been caught up in trouble at Latics, was City various at home. Burnley on Broadway, Wolves when they tried storming the Paddock. Swansea too. West Ham away the other year in the Carling Cup, was probably the dodgiest situation i've witnessed in my Latics days. Where the frig did they get dozens upon dozens of Milk Bottles from? :sign0068:

Hull with Rochdale at Spotland on Sky is probably the dodgiest game i've ever been into. There were about 60 grown men just running about the WMG, smacking man, woman and child. Think i've got that game on video somewhere - Dale won 3-0, but I can only remember wanting to go home. I can even pin point the bloke who started coming towards me, before I did my dissapearing act, when they all casually strolled onto the pitch and over to the away end without a copper in sight. The Sandy lane then decided to start singing. "Well done, you took the family stand" and "You'll never take the sandy." - Needless to say. Outside............Hull fans ran amok, and I ended up getting :fighting: with my mates and chased all over the place.

Latics had Macclesfield away the day after, and I went sporting a lovely shiner, courtesy of some 30 year old yorkshire barsteward. I was only about 13 at the time. The crowd at the game the following season was some 3,000 less due to what happened.

As for experiences of United's 'friendliness' as I had just turned 16 and wasn't a member, when we beat them 1-0 in '93 I had to go in the Looker Rocky Road paddock -

I was in there that day. I was 8. I remember it well. Only time I couldn't sit on the front row of the paddock and also the only time my Dad made us wait at least 10 minutes after the game till the crowd had gone from the paddock. It was mayhem. Bit frightening but as a kid you know no different. I hate them, despise them. I think certain people have become a little softened to them lately but not me. I hate them and what they do and stand for. :angry:

West Ham away the other year in the Carling Cup, was probably the dodgiest situation i've witnessed in my Latics days. Where the frig did they get dozens upon dozens of Milk Bottles from?

Very, very scary.

Left with no choice but to throw your fists a few times no matter what age. Mate ended up getting bottled across the shoulder, only saved from being hit on the head by me grabbing him away at the last second. That would not have happened at all if Barlows had go there earlier enough. We'd have known the designated coach spot was 500 yards up the road. Instead the game finishes, we all walk out and turn left, where we got dropped off. No sign of the coaches because they are down the road. We all turn back and head towards them. Next thing milk bottles, fists flying and people jumping from cars with milk bottles. Barmy and very lucky to escape uninjured.

Ok, but one at a time.

We had just arrived in the car park at the ground, when a Bratfurd fan stopped my brother who was driving and said 'your van will be burned out before you can get back to it'. Now the white minibus we were in belonged to a rugby club who my dad was involved with, and so any damage and we were in the s.h.1.t.

Anyway, we got spanked 5-2 I think and we left early. When we woke up in the morning and read N.O.t.W. they had reported how a white minibus had been torched at Bratfurd.

See it's lame really

At the same game, we got into the ground to find the away end full. Well except for a gap at the front. Having a beer or seven on our way we decided to fill the space. All of a sudden the group to our right started singing 'Oldham Oldham where are your boys?'. Well it just went off and we all piled straight in. The biggest lad with us ended up on the floor, and our attentions turned from the Carlisle lot to pulling half of Oldham off our mate. Afterwards it was so funny and he still gets angry if it is brought up. Anyway the brawling stopped and the Police carted the Carlisle fans out of the ground.

A week later we played Dirty Leeds away and were on the Barlows skips when from behind us lads were swapping stories from Bratfurd. All of a sudden on says 'I got this big cheeky monkey (own edit) on the deck and booted him right in his face, you should have seen his nose go.' What this lad failed to realise was that the lad with his face bandaged two seats in front of him was his 'victim'. We laughed all the way to the game, and our mate took it as 'friendly fire' which is unusual because he's a punchy mf.

Apparently the reason Carlisle were in the ground that day was their game with Halifax had been postponed and somebody thought it would be a good idea to stick them in with us.

Their is a third tale from that day, but there is a code of silence on that one. :bobby:

Guest oa_exile
Their is a third tale from that day, but there is a code of silence on that one.

Then send me a PM on that one :wink: , i dont kiss and tell :wub:

Very, very scary.

Left with no choice but to throw your fists a few times no matter what age. Mate ended up getting bottled across the shoulder, only saved from being hit on the head by me grabbing him away at the last second. That would not have happened at all if Barlows had go there earlier enough. We'd have known the designated coach spot was 500 yards up the road. Instead the game finishes, we all walk out and turn left, where we got dropped off. No sign of the coaches because they are down the road. We all turn back and head towards them. Next thing milk bottles, fists flying and people jumping from cars with milk bottles. Barmy and very lucky to escape uninjured.

You'd have been directly infront of me then, as I was just behind the lad who got bottled. Most people escaped injury due to reacting as soon as it happened to him, and the shattering of glass could be heard a good 50 yards behind him. No one knew where they were going, and it was a pretty much follow the crowd for me. I'd travelled down with a car full of Hammers I know, and was given the orders - "go to where the oldham coaches are parked, and we'll meet you there before walking to the estate we are parked on, as it'll be too dodgy for you to walk on your own."

The only reason I didnt get bottled, is because I turned left instead of right like everyone else. That was probably worse, as I ended up surrounded by hundreds of hammers fans, and bang smack next to that numpty in a grey t-shirt (for some reason I can still remember what he looks like), who was bouncing around shouting - "come on oldham, where's yer boys"

Worst bit about it, was the amount of 'normal' West Ham fans who just kept laughing and muttering, "get the northern monkeys!" as the incident happened around them. I felt a right sitting duck as all the Latics fans got on the coaches, and I was stuck waiting for four unhappy hammers who hadnt a clue what had gone on. Then again, there's a fair few Latics fans who were there that night who said they didnt even see the incident, or know it happened.

I certainly did. Awful night............especially as I had to travel back home with a car full of misreble sods who kept threatening to leave me in London, and every service station on the way home. Though I do admit, to sitting with the biggest grin on my face ever all the way home.

Added to the fact, I and many others in the ground were more worried about that 6 year old cockney kid, leaning over the barrier spitting and shouting obscenities. They certainly are a nice bunch down there.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

At the same game, we got into the ground to find the away end full. Well except for a gap at the front. Having a beer or seven on our way we decided to fill the space. All of a sudden the group to our right started singing 'Oldham Oldham where are your boys?'. Well it just went off and we all piled straight in. The biggest lad with us ended up on the floor, and our attentions turned from the Carlisle lot to pulling half of Oldham off our mate. Afterwards it was so funny and he still gets angry if it is brought up. Anyway the brawling stopped and the Police carted the Carlisle fans out of the ground.

A week later we played Dirty Leeds away and were on the Barlows skips when from behind us lads were swapping stories from Bratfurd. All of a sudden on says 'I got this big cheeky monkey (own edit) on the deck and booted him right in his face, you should have seen his nose go.' What this lad failed to realise was that the lad with his face bandaged two seats in front of him was his 'victim'. We laughed all the way to the game, and our mate took it as 'friendly fire' which is unusual because he's a punchy mf.

Apparently the reason Carlisle were in the ground that day was their game with Halifax had been postponed and somebody thought it would be a good idea to stick them in with us.

Their is a third tale from that day, but there is a code of silence on that one. :bobby:

I did an article for JK about 6 or 7 years ago called Bobbins Away Games, it was in BTB at some stage too, it featured this bit.......

Violence at matches can make you miserable, and scared at the same time, a strange combination. The worst incident for us was at Bradford. I can’t remember the result, in the 80’s sometime? When Carlisle’s game at Halifax got postponed at the last minute about 20 Carlisle Neanderthals decided the packed away terrace at Valley Parade was THE ONLY place to be, and where did they choose to stand and kick it off, yes just in front of me and Mrs. S T, how very, very jolly that was, err not!

We were stood in front of a barrier and they were quite wide, I can remember a Latics fan climbing up on one and jumping off onto a Carlisle fans head. Never been my thing all that carry on, all I did was make sure MrsS didn't get a stray whack, her Dad would have killed me!

There was another Younighted game, a friendly (HA!) be about 82 or 83, around January time, Wayne Harrison scored for us. Flip me just managed to get on the 412 as it all kicked off, the driver plop'd his pants and shut the doors, I was half of the bottom step, half on the top with me should trapped between the closed doors, but that was preferable to being on the outside :)

Added to the fact, I and many others in the ground were more worried about that 6 year old cockney kid, leaning over the barrier spitting and shouting obscenities. They certainly are a nice bunch down there.

Lovely people.

I might be wrong here and I'm sure he'll correct me if I am but if I remember rightly one kid threw a coin from the top tier and hit OAFC Titch right on his bald head :lol: