Shez Out. Oh, no Shez In!

Is Shez the best manager on the planet? Nope.

Has he been well backed by the TTA over the last two seasons? Yup.

Has our form been erratic over the last few weeks? Yup.

Are some of the manager's decisions bewildering? Yup.

Have a handful of our second half displays this season been impressive? Yup.

Will Shez still be manager in the transfer window? Yup.

Sure? Not completely.

So, where are we up to this season.

1) We're 5 points off the top of the table - if, before the season started, you'd said that's where we'd be in Nov I'd have taken it.

2) Despite some recent results, we've been scoring goals all season. Even the Yeovil disaster should be .put in the context of missed chances. In other words, the creativity is there, the strikers are getting in to scoring positions, and most of the time they've been scoring at a decent rate. Only Scunthorpe have scored more in the league. I take the view that if strikers are getting in positions to score, sooner or later the goals will flow for them. It's when they aren't shooting that they should be dropped.

3) We've beaten the top 4 in the table. This is a remarkable fact!

4) The midfield has been superb. Some games. It's been over-run in others. When we've passed through the midfield and had a striker on the pitch who can hold the ball up we've been successful. When we've bypassed the midfield or had strikers who run in to dead ends we've been less successful.

5) Our defensive displays this season have not been as good as last season. We were a solid unit at the back last season. In part this was due to a less creative midfield shielding them. But also the likes of Eardley (who is a fine player) has not been at his best and Gregan (who is a fine player too) has not always been at the races.

I don't think there is any doubt that should we not be with in touching distance of automatic promotion as the season progresses, that TTA would be minded to find a replacement for the manager. In fact, if you can find a superior replacement, it would be absolutely right in those circumstances.

If you were Corney, and you'd backed your manager over Ricketts, you'd be wondering why you were having to do it again over Davies. I'm not saying Shez is to blame for the Davies or Ricketts situation, but you would like to think a manager would find ways to ensure situations with a striker who signed a contract weeks before doesn't end with them leaving the club the following January. And it does look like Davies will leave the club in January.

If you were TTA and had invested in so many players, you would surely now be asking why they are being shipped out on loan, not selected in 18 man squads, not played, replaced by other loanees etc etc. If the reason is that they are not good enough, the guy footing the bill should be asking "why the hell did you sign them?". Form dropped when unexpected changes were made with loan players.

Corney has publicly stated his frustration with results recently. He rightly questions match preparation for the Yeovil game. Something was wrong on the pitch that day because every man on the pitch was below par, having been impressive 4 days earlier. So it is absolutely right to question what was different before kick off. To be fair, away trips to Bristol Rovers and Swindon are always unpleasant. While it would have been nice to be picking up points in the West Country, we rarely do.

So, what has Sheridan got to show for the season so far:

The most sensational triple substitution English football has ever seen against Millwall.

An impressive start, that faltered when he left Alessandra out of the side. He took way too long bring back the guy who is the key to others scoring.

Rolled over in the minor cups as he tried to develop plan B.

A midfield that has played some superb football, but when crowded has struggled to protect the defence.

Goals from the midfield that were severely lacking last season.

The ability to turn things round in games when its going wrong (e.g. yesterday). This is one he hasn't perfected, but is a talent he should be developing more if he is to turn in to a truly good manager.

A falling out with Craig Davies. I think discipline is important. I'm no fan of Davies (lazy, not a team player blah blah blah) but I would prefer Shez to find ways of keeping players in the fold and happy as you never know when you might need them. We don't know the full facts about Davies, so I give Sheridan the benefit of the doubt - getting rid of disruption is a reasonable outcome, there can be other ways to manager players than shipping them out. If it's cost neutral, TTA will probably go with it. If it's expensive to the club, he risks it being an added pressure to keeping his job.

Travelling to an FA Cup game without enough players in the squad to sit on the bench. That is extraordinary. If the Omerod situation was in doubt, surely a 19th man should have been on the bus. Be that Williams or some other striker pulled from oblivion. He may have taken the view that 6 subs is more than enough and the option of throwing Liddell up front covered him. But an opportunity to involve an additional player in first team match preparations was missed and I find this strange.

So, what does he have to do to keep his job?

Ultimately a top 6, and probably a top 2 finish is the outcome TTA will measure him by. And they are probably right.

I think he has a squad that is more than capable of this (with the possible exception of now needing to replace Davies).

What should he change on the pitch?

GOALKEEPER - not yet. We all know Crossley is no spring chicken. We can point the finger at some of the saves he hasn't made. But by all accounts he kept us in the FA Cup yesterday and has been responsible for some fine saves. He will get injured, which will force Fleming in to the side. That will be the moment when we will get the answer to who the best keeper at the club is.

DEFENCE - I wasn't one of the 323 at Cheltenham yesterday. But I see Gregan give away a penalty, get replaced, and the second half performance turn the game round. In normal circumstances, Gregan should start every game. If there are problems that he faces outside the club, and these are affecting him on the field, leave him out. I rate the guy, but Stam/Hazell was a solid partnership last season. I would question whether Lomax deserved to be dropped. One of those players who seems to do little wrong. Eardley has had one or two shockers, but was also excellent against Scunny. What is the reason for his inconsistency? Shez needs to get to the bottom of this one, because the guy is a talented footballer who isn't delivering the best for the club.

MIDFIELD - I am much happier with the midfield this season. It's more creative, scores more goals and on the whole has been exciting to watch. Taylor is clearly the most exciting player in the team, but Whitaker for me has introduced a genuine creativity that we were screaming out for. There is a reasonable argument for Smalley to replace Liddell, but the case isn't overwhelming yet. Allott's place may be in doubt, and I'd like to see Maher given a run in the side in his place, but again this isn't an overwhelmingly obvious change. The concerns I can highlight are the games against Stockport, MK Dons and Huddersfield. Our midfield struggled against 5. Shez needs to ensure there is a solution to this and needs to know how he thinks our opponents will play against us. When we have hoofed it over the middle we look awful. When we have played it in to the feet of our strikers we have looked far better and taken the pressure off ourselves. For me 4-4-2 keeping it on the ground is our best way of playing. Whether we choose to lose Liddell and play Maher against a 5 man midfield is an option worthy of consideration. Those who saw the second half yesterday may be best placed to answer.

STRIKERS - we play better with Alessandra on the pitch. He gives the midfield an outlet and this relieves pressure on the team as a whole. While he should score more, the team scores significantly more goals when he plays than when he doesn't. Hughes always looks like he'll score. He's a menace to defenders and a class above most in this league. Silly bookings are part of his game and I can handle this. While he hasn't scored in a few he's had a perfectly good goal disallowed, won a penalty, fired a couple straight at the keeper and seen a couple brilliantly saved. The man will, if fit, score 20 this season. But who fills in when these two don't play? O'Grady possibly. Loaning him out made sense, but getting him back makes more sense. He's a player we need to be able to bring on at 2-0 up with 20 minutes left. Wolfenden isn't good enough. Davies was a decent 3rd choice striker and it's annoying that he isn't there. I do think having 4 quality choices up front is important to see us through the season.

Yesterday summed up the season wonderfully.

Confusion over whether Ormerod could play or not. No obvious plan for if he couldn't play (at least not on the bench anyway).

2-0 down to an inferior set of players.

Gregan giving away a penalty.

Based on that, you can understand why some fans are frustrated with the manager.

But he turned it round.

Brave to substitute your captain.

Improved second half performance.

The guts to get back in to it.

Credit where credit's due.

The time to replace Shez is when we're out of contention for the league and have a better manager lined up to replace him.

At the moment, we're right up there in the league. We have a manager who has something, but needs to understand how to apply his managerial skills more consistently, and there is no obvious replacement for him.

SHEZ IN!

"4) The midfield has been superb. Some games. It's been over-run in others. When we've passed through the midfield and had a striker on the pitch who can hold the ball up we've been successful. When we've bypassed the midfield or had strikers who run in to dead ends we've been less successful."

I find this remark incredible, even when we've been winning games the midfield has been seriously lacking, ok Danny Whit has played well at times but Allott has been nowhere near the standard he was last season and this ineffectiveness has been at the route of a lot of the problems, add in in the problems on the left and Gregan's alleged off-field problems meaning his footballing ability had disappeared up his huge arse and the picture becomes clearer. As much of a GRegan fan I am and I really am, I think he needs an enforced absence away from the squad to sort himself out. It's an important 6 months for him with his contract being up in June and he needs to decide at 35 if he wants to prolong his career or not. I agree with the dropping of Liddell, not sure what Eards has done wrong and I'm pleased that Maher got 45 minutes and seemingly had an impact, give him an extended run now and allow Stam and Rubes to reform their decent partnership of last season.

As for Shez, I said in Jan/Feb he'd do well to still have a job come December, and I stand by my comments. Andy Ritchie was sacked for less, the rot needs to be stopped and he needs the bollocks to make big decisions, hauling Greegs off was one, as was dropping Lidds, playing Kelvin on the wing and dropping Eards was pretty clueless though imo. Despite my feelings I know there is a good manager in there, is he a winner though? He's had us in good positions and we've blown it through a lack of ambition. Last season a striker may have got us into the play offs, instead he sat on his hands and let loanees go back and the season petered out. The season before we were in a great position, yet aims for the play-offs whilst automatic still being very much on.

Looking at the overall picture we are still very inconsistent, despite a much bigger squad he dithers over changes or sends people out on loan to get rid of the selection problem. It even seems the owners are becoming increasingly impatient with his lacksidasical attitude to preparation (something SC clearly alluded to)

Over to you Shez...........

Im backing Shez for the rest of this season... The least I expect is the play offs... If we dont at least make the play offs I think I will be asking some hard questions...

this season i was giving shez my backing until christmas,then after some of the players we signed i could see what he was trying to do,then with the good start we had i changed my mind and was prepared to give him the full season...i still am,you can judge managers by results.....if he was being judged by our first 6 games he would be here indefinately.....if he was being judged by our last 8 games then some directors would of got rid by now...certainly if we was in the greedy league or maybe the championship he would have gone...

if come may and we have missed out on the playoffs then the hard questions will be asked,questions like why after 3 seasons of the best financial backing we have had are we still in this horrid league......why can we only beat the top teams and not everyone else......why cant our players be arsed every one in 3 games......is shez the right man for the job....

only time will tell......

Shez in who will we get better than him!!!??

lomax on the wing though now that has perplexed me.and also allowing all loanees except ogrady to play in cup is strange for me.

i trust shez completely what have davies and o'grady done so far this season both lack confidence need games??

i cant believe people are moaning because stephens and lee havnt featured much, shez brought them for the future and they will get there time.

why cant latics fans have patience.?

this season i was giving shez my backing until christmas,then after some of the players we signed i could see what he was trying to do,then with the good start we had i changed my mind and was prepared to give him the full season...i still am,you can judge managers by results.....if he was being judged by our first 6 games he would be here indefinately.....if he was being judged by our last 8 games then some directors would of got rid by now...certainly if we was in the greedy league or maybe the championship he would have gone...

if come may and we have missed out on the playoffs then the hard questions will be asked,questions like why after 3 seasons of the best financial backing we have had are we still in this horrid league......why can we only beat the top teams and not everyone else......why cant our players be arsed every one in 3 games......is shez the right man for the job....

only time will tell......

I think we have to give him until the end of the season. I don't think he should really be given any funds in Jan for any perm transfers- he has been given quite a lot and we have (had) a big squad. Also, if he's gone at the end, a new manager would want to bring their own players in.

Oh decisions decisions <_<

I am not saying either In or Out as there’s very good arguments for both,

but I am getting disillusioned with the whole selection, preparation and tactics made.

PMSL, come on Kyle you started the whole campaign, you are to Shez out what Richard branson is to Virgin, Colonel Sanders to KFC and Alan Sugar to Amstrad!

I think we have to give him until the end of the season. I don't think he should really be given any funds in Jan for any perm transfers- he has been given quite a lot and we have (had) a big squad. Also, if he's gone at the end, a new manager would want to bring their own players in.

Absolutely spot-on. I'm prepared to give him until after the Carlisle United game lets see where we are then. The guy has failed to build on momentum through his dithering, so let's see whether any sort of momentum can be regained. Personally the one thing I think Shez has unquestionable ability in is to breed inconsistency in himself and his staff through his dithering. So I don't want to be doom and gloom but given the run of games we have coming up:-

Northampton (A)

Southend (A)

Walsall (H)

Brighton (H)

Peterborough (A)

+ at least one cup game

hand on heart how many points will we get out of 15?

I find this remark incredible, even when we've been winning games the midfield has been seriously lacking, ok Danny Whit has played well at times but Allott has been nowhere near the standard he was last season and this ineffectiveness has been at the route of a lot of the problems, add in in the problems on the left and Gregan's alleged off-field problems meaning his footballing ability had disappeared up his huge arse and the picture becomes clearer. As much of a GRegan fan I am and I really am, I think he needs an enforced absence away from the squad to sort himself out. It's an important 6 months for him with his contract being up in June and he needs to decide at 35 if he wants to prolong his career or not. I agree with the dropping of Liddell, not sure what Eards has done wrong and I'm pleased that Maher got 45 minutes and seemingly had an impact, give him an extended run now and allow Stam and Rubes to reform their decent partnership of last season.

As for Shez, I said in Jan/Feb he'd do well to still have a job come December, and I stand by my comments. Andy Ritchie was sacked for less, the rot needs to be stopped and he needs the bollocks to make big decisions, hauling Greegs off was one, as was dropping Lidds, playing Kelvin on the wing and dropping Eards was pretty clueless though imo. Despite my feelings I know there is a good manager in there, is he a winner though? He's had us in good positions and we've blown it through a lack of ambition. Last season a striker may have got us into the play offs, instead he sat on his hands and let loanees go back and the season petered out. The season before we were in a great position, yet aims for the play-offs whilst automatic still being very much on.

Looking at the overall picture we are still very inconsistent, despite a much bigger squad he dithers over changes or sends people out on loan to get rid of the selection problem. It even seems the owners are becoming increasingly impatient with his lacksidasical attitude to preparation (something SC clearly alluded to)

Over to you Shez...........

Absolutely spot on Prozac. I'm just seriously starting to doubt as to whether shez really has the long term nouse for this game. He is becoming indecisive and reluctant to make the big decisions - both off the field in signing players (that we actually need!) and on the pitch, with both starting selections and tactical changes...

It is just grating on me now that we seem to get to this point in the season each time and massive problems with the squad are presented to us. Now, there are those of the opinion that a lot of these problems have been created by decisions out of Sherdans hands, however unfortunately sheridan takes the outward brunt for this... a few people mentioned yesterday that there has been rumblings about how happy sheridan is at the club - if genuinely things are being taken out of his hands he should walk... until that happens he is fully responsible, and at the moment, he responsible for a radically underperforming team - 7th or not, decisions have been made that in my opinion have prevented us from being much higher, and with this squad we should be doing better. Players just arent performing or being motivated.

Sorry matey - dont agree at all. Said last year that shez has until xmas to get this team working and I still totally agree. I really really want to see him achieve this. However as prozac says, I think the next 5 games are critical for him. A minimum of 7-9 points have to be achieved. and remaining in the top 6ish... otherwise I think Corney will go into orbit, and shez may be no-more.... As prozac also says, its about momentum, and we are losing it - morale and communication in all aspects of the club is falling to bits - that has to be stopped and stopped soon.

I totally agree anyone new would want to bring in new players. However I think that isnt much of a problem with the loan market how it is now. Players can be shipped in and out very easily, and also although TTA are reluctant to do so, i'm sure limited funds would be made available for whoever is in charge in january. That worries me less than seeing this slump continue and no-one wanting to play for us in Jan... We need to be tougher, on the pitch, and in our managerial decisions.... you have work to do sheridan.

Edited by BigfinLatic

Guest oa_exile
Northampton (A) 1 point

Southend (A) 0 points

Walsall (H) 3 points :blink:

Brighton (H) 3 points

Peterborough (A) 0 points

Think you forgot to build in the "Ricketts factor" with that prediction :lol:

Northampton (A) Draw

Southend (A) Draw

Walsall (H) Win

Brighton (H) Win

Peterborough (A) Draw

On Scunthorpe form, on Yeovil form...

Northampton (A) Lose

Southend (A) Lose

Walsall (H) Draw

Brighton (H) Draw

Peterborough (A) Lose

:s

Its all abouut the team which turns up on the day...

If we are still playing crap come xmas shez is a gonner.

He has been backed by TTA this season and last, so i dont think it is unrealistic for them to expect him to deliver.

If we are going to change the manager, this season is the season to do it.

Crossley, lids, allott, hughes, gregan, hazel, stam, kalala, thommo, maher, wolfenden all out of contract. Would give any new manager the perfect opportunity to clear the decks and bring his own team in.

Although whoever is in charge next yr, if we are still in this division I imagine the wage bill will be cut drastically.

I think that there is a slightly bigger picture out there and people need to realise it.

Irrespective of should SC have made his comments in public is the fact that when TTA took over they stated that they hoped to take us up to the championship within 5 years.

In that time, they first of all pledged funds to stabalise the club in the first season, (where the season ticket money had already been spent by the previous owner feeding wages that he could not hope to sustain) and to keep the club in League 1 and to work through the contracts that the previous owner had lumbered us with and then funds to allow the manager to progress in years 2 onwards.

They then pledged funds to Moore to build a team and Moore's "2 year plan" fell apart after his first season when the fans made it more than clear that they were not prepared to put up with the then managers style of play. TTA listened to the fans and changed manager, appointing Shez. They have backed him in each of his 2 full seasons and even more so this summer, to build a squad capable of taking us up.

I think that most on here agree that the squad itself has enough ability to sustain a promotion push and with a little luck with injuries, suspensions and the general rub of the green, promotion is within our grasp. That being the case, TTA have a right to expect their management team to manage the squad to get the best out of it and bringing in a little bonus revenue from a cup run with the squad we have should not be seen as holding back a push for promotion. I cannot believe that our owners would, with their promotion target in sight , not re-invest that bonus revenue in the squad either in the january transfer window or with other "quality" loan signings in February and March. They would then be able to say at the seasons end "we promised you promotion within 5 years and now we've acheied it. Lets move on to phase 2 and establish the club in the Championship." They are too clever to miss such an opportunity.

Since TTA have been here, this is the best opportunity they have had, even better than 2 seasons ago due to the current squad.

Silly bookings sometimes go with certain players, it is in their makeup, but that doesn't mean that they have to be tolerated.

Shez says that letting Davies out on loan is his decision. What has changed since giving him a new contact in August? Surely his sending off, silly as it was, is not the catalyst to Davies going is it? Not getting a game due to lewi's form is one thing and frustration at not scoring can get to a player, but surely Davies has got too much to let him go without having a dam good replacement lined up and Ormrod certainly wasn't that player and Byfield, good player that he has been in the past (I've not seen him this season or last) is unlikely to give us more IMO.

Shez has got to stand up and be counted this season. He is no longer a novice. He is a relatively experienced manager and we all know that most managers don't get three seasons at most clubs without having some sort of success.

IMO Shez needs to go back to basics himself, doing what he did well at the start of the season.

Shez has learnt in his time as manager about that I have little doubt. Has he progreesed enough to take us up? Well against the top teams the answer is an overwhelming yes, but these are not the games that the players need picking up, motivating and preparing for. Against the poorer/bottom half teams? I can't even say that the jury is out as the walloping of Cheltenham and Hereford show we are a class apart, but then doing that on our travels is clearly an issue and its the prepartaion for these games that to me has probably got to the owners. What manager wouldn't if given the chance, travel the day before the game as opposed to the day of the game. Dowie even wanted to do it to Hartlepool. Losing the odd game at home to a team like Yeovil happens. The 1990/91 promotion season saw us lose at home only once, but that was to bottom team Hull.

If we had had bad luck at Bristol & Swindon then fair enough, but the reports suggest otherwise. Despite the fact we started both games brightly, it appears that we couldn't keep going and to me that really is motivation and prepartaion. It is the managers job to deal with that. He has been given the tools by the owners.

SC ranting in public is not new. He has from day 1 got his point across. Like it or not at least we hear it straight. I can't imagine what has been said in public this week has not been said behind closed doors previously. I still don't know if I agree with saying it in public and I don't have a scooby doo what the motivation behind it is, but if it acts as a wake up call to the manager and players then ok. At the end of the day promotion is what we want.

As I said at the start of the post there is the bigger picture here. TTA will have their "promotion within 5 years" statement in their minds and this is year 5. This is a major season for Shez's future at the club and failure to gain promotion is IMO likely to see him carry the can. That is not to say I am a Shez out or D&G poster. On the contrary, I am generally positive. Overall, I like Shez's style, I think it's the closest we have come to Big Joe's teams. I just have some doubts, and I had them at the start of the season, as to whether or not Shez can provide leadership over a full season. We saw the team fall away 2 years ago and you can see it happening again. The difference this season is he is 2 years wiser and he has more time to change it round again.

Good luck Shez. I hope you can do it.

Cheers,

Harry

Bunch of fickle bastards. Lets gid rid of Shez and start building a new squad all over again blah blah blah...

We'll only end up with another Talbot or Moore. This is the best squad we've had in years - yeah its not perfect but we aint going to get much better. We've been chopping and changing the squad for years with no success - the basis of a good team now exists with youth and experience.

It's November and we're only 5 points off the top! Why is everything a crisis with some of you lot???!!

Stability is the key. Enough of the trigger finger negatives - Shez is the right man.

Bunch of fickle bastards. Lets gid rid of Shez and start building a new squad all over again blah blah blah...

We'll only end up with another Talbot or Moore. This is the best squad we've had in years - yeah its not perfect but we aint going to get much better. We've been chopping and changing the squad for years with no success - the basis of a good team now exists with youth and experience.

It's November and we're only 5 points off the top! Why is everything a crisis with some of you lot???!!

Stability is the key. Enough of the trigger finger negatives - Shez is the right man.

Don't mistake debate for negativity. Not all the posts are negatives.

Certain things have happened and been said this last week. Ppl are looking into the meaning of them. At the end of the day its a general discussion. PPl have their opinions as to what will happen, not necessarily what they want to happen. I just happen to think that if Shez doesn't get us promoted this season TTA will say "Thanks for your efforts John, but its time for someone else to have a go." Would I change him? Not really at this time. The fact remains though that not many managers get 3 years at one club without having some success.

Cheers,

Harry.

P.S. For the record, Shez In

Guest oa_exile
This is the best squad we've had in years

We've been chopping and changing the squad for years with no success

Stability is the key

My question to you then is then why if it's the best squad in years has Shez brought in loanies early doors , sent out supposidly key players out on loan and bringing in (as reported) more loanies in ?

Stability is the key you say ? then I am not seeing it.

As far as I am concerned he built his squad early doors brought them in for pre-season training early doors ....."fickle bastard" is that Shez you are talking about ?

Don't mistake debate for negativity. Not all the posts are negatives.

Certain things have happened and been said this last week. Ppl are looking into the meaning of them. At the end of the day its a general discussion. PPl have their opinions as to what will happen, not necessarily what they want to happen. I just happen to think that if Shez doesn't get us promoted this season TTA will say "Thanks for your efforts John, but its time for someone else to have a go." Would I change him? Not really at this time. The fact remains though that not many managers get 3 years at one club without having some success.

Cheers,

Harry.

P.S. For the record, Shez In

Maybe.

But I have to agree with a certain Roy Keane - which I thought I'd never do.

"Why do we have to over analyse everything in football?"

I agree it's not all negative, but it's certainly less than constructive from some. And I sense the ones who are questioning Shez's position now are the same one's who will be professing his greatness and our title ambitions after a couple of wins on the trot.

I just dont buy into this premier league 'i want it now' attitude. We've been going round in circles for years as it is. I could understand if we were 5 points off bottom. We've had a shaky few weeks, nothing more.