if ... happens, im never going again

Final game of first season back in the top flight. Man City at home.

Think BFJ did something similar to a coin toss to decide whether to play Hallworth or Kiely - Kiely ended up in net. My friend (about 13 at the time) couldn't believe it, and said that if we lost he was never going again. We got battered and he threw his season ticket book on the pitch at the end, and hasn't been back since.

He wasn't the only one that day loads of ST's hit the tuff that day!

Think many fans were more frustrated with the way football was going .... all seater and the end of their beloved Chaddy as we all knew it, equally many had enjoyed the ride of the previous sucessful seasons and were not willing to put in the ground work of watching the team struggle more oftern than not.

Did the Chaddy contain it's fair share of glory hunters .... you bet your life it was!!! Did most of those thrown away ST's belong to this group o fans..... !?!?!

Me and my mates were first in the Q for ST's that season. We had a list of about 6 preferred rows in the new all seated Chaddy.... all had already gone when the ticket office opened. Yep the corporate brigade had already snapped up the best seats!!!

If that was not bad enough we didn't realise that worse was to follow ...... 10/15 minutes into each match we had a constant stream of ties finding their seats, 5/10 mins before then end of the half they started to leave again .... ditto in the second half. They boo'd more than they cheered, had little interest in the team at all. This happened all season....

Added to the fact that a lot of people felt displaced all season, split from people they use to walk passed, stand and pass the time with every week on the concrete steps. The Chaddy was a very strange place that year for me (after that initial year groups started to form once more)......... BP as never been the same for me since, I never ever found myself a home there until I got a ST in the Police box lower paddock ....... then they knocked that down.

So I really feel like a nomad again at BP!!!

I may have said it when the Chaddy was seated over, it coincided with me having a Saturday job, and then going to University, and then moving down South but failing to find a pot of gold. I have many regrets about many things, but I will never be called a glory seeker...

After that first year in the Chaddy, I'm not sure I would not have got a ST ticket for the Chaddy the following year ... but much like Andy I moved to Uni that year and then down South straight after my degree so I'll never know.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...many had enjoyed the ride of the previous sucessful seasons and were not willing to put in the ground work of watching the team struggle more oftern than not.

My fear is that it could be the same next season, if we have been promoted and then start to struggle. But this time we'll have started with a much smaller fan base.