Quick Summary

Comfortable victory for the lads, well, it would have been had Lomax not buried that cross. Kelvin upfront next week please Shezza.

Shez rang the changes and lined up as a 442 :unsure: but with Smalley on the right. He did well....fabulous goal Deano. That was more Dean Windass than Deane Smalley! :lol: Windass showed his quality a number of times. Great technique in my opinion - some mistakes but they were often just a case of differing wavelengths. Not worried about him being 39 in the slightest he's going to prove a good signing. He won MOTM.......fair enough as there were no stand out performers. I'd have given it to Greegs. Maher and Whitts were solid, Whitts unlucky to not score. Taylor was himself....still not performing as he did early season though. Hughesy was decent......maybe him coming off is a sign he's leaving. Mental looked well up for it when he came on, played well but should have scored. That leaves Eards and Lomax...both average, as in good work being spoilt by bad.

Comfortable victory for the lads, well, it would have been had Lomax not buried that cross. Kelvin upfront next week please Shezza.

Shez rang the changes and lined up as a 442 :unsure: but with Smalley on the right. He did well....fabulous goal Deano. That was more Dean Windass than Deane Smalley! :lol: Windass showed his quality a number of times. Great technique in my opinion - some mistakes but they were often just a case of differing wavelengths. Not worried about him being 39 in the slightest he's going to prove a good signing. He won MOTM.......fair enough as there were no stand out performers. I'd have given it to Greegs. Maher and Whitts were solid, Whitts unlucky to not score. Taylor was himself....still not performing as he did early season though. Hughesy was decent......maybe him coming off is a sign he's leaving. Mental looked well up for it when he came on, played well but should have scored. That leaves Eards and Lomax...both average, as in good work being spoilt by bad.

Comfortable? It should have been yeah!....by the end though we were faced with hanging on yet again, largely due to the fact that Eardley didn't seem content with being skinned by their number 19 just three or four times. Probably the most over rated player ever to pull on a Latics shirt IMO. Apart from the goal, Smalley was gash. It took him at least eight attempts at a cross before he got one into the box....no wonder Sheridan holds on to Liddell. Windass had a storming first half and a noticeably poor second.

Same number of points after 25 games as 06/07 season when we had been playing the best football for years by this point. And only 4 points behind the 02/03 season tally (25 games) after having an excellent 1st half of the season... not bad really seen as most seem to think we are yet to really get going this season!

Comfortable? It should have been yeah!....by the end though we were faced with hanging on yet again, largely due to the fact that Eardley didn't seem content with being skinned by their number 19 just three or four times. Probably the most over rated player ever to pull on a Latics shirt IMO. Apart from the goal, Smalley was gash. It took him at least eight attempts at a cross before he got one into the box....no wonder Sheridan holds on to Liddell. Windass had a storming first half and a noticeably poor second.

What utter :censored:! Smalley's first cross of the game was an absolute peach...you either turned up late or just don't like the lad. Had a great 60-65 mins and then tailed off as most the side did. The opinions on here are getting worse and worse...

Scrap the youth system methinks...might make some of these :censored:ers happy on here!

What utter :censored:! Smalley's first cross of the game was an absolute peach...you either turned up late or just don't like the lad. Had a great 60-65 mins and then tailed off as most the side did. The opinions on here are getting worse and worse...

Scrap the youth system methinks...might make some of these :censored:ers happy on here!

Exactly!

I thought he did well, gave them something to worry about for sure on the right and got a few decent balls in. He was involved in probably our 2 best moves of the game in the second half as well. I can't understand the criticism of Eardley today as well, I thought he was fine, skinned their winger at least 4 times and happily went forward to help Smalley and overlap. I'm still not conviced Whitts should be in the side right now, gives the ball away cheaply too often although it was an ok performance from tonight in general. I'd still like to see Lee given a chance as the attcking minded midfielder though.

Fleming - he's good

Lomax - adequate, superb finish (I meant the chip at the end of the first half)

Eardley - mixed. Some good attacking play. Got skinned for the goal and skinned again late on.

Greegs - great

Rubes -greater

Taylor - better than he has been

Smalley - excellent performance - keep him on

Whitaker - much better against a crap opposition midfield

Maher - controlled the game

Windass - nice flicks, shouldn't have stayed on as long as he did. An asset.

Hughes - some good runs, good finish - was being substituted something we should read in to? Why wasn't their player sent of for the off the ball push?

Davies - looked sharp

We took our foot off the pedal at 2-0 and nearly paid the penalty. Hartlepool looked like they were happy to lose the game tbh. Showed very little in any part of the pitch. We should have won by a lot more.

We were much improved, and played some tidy stuff at times. Thought Maher played well again, kept the ball very well and rarely gave it away ... i think i even saw Whitts outmuscle someone :shock: however he did give away a free-kick :grin: . However, for me at times were still hitting the hopeful balls up to DW and LH. There were countless times last night when a simple ball to feet would have been effective, it is something we need to cut-out. Overall though a pleasing performance, that was made un-necasarily nervey!

Fleming - 7, had nothing to do and would be harsh to give any lower.

Eardley - 6, was poor again but did claim a half assist, and had a cracking effort in the first half.

Lomax - 6, wasnt at his best, and why cant he finish like that in the other net ... hes the worst finisher around usually!

Hazell - 7, won virtually everything in the air but his distribution at times wasnt the best.

Gregan - 7, see above.

Smalley - 8, thought he played really well, even in the first half when his end product wasnt the best he ran at them and looked positive. I was baffled by the comments around me of get him off, get Liddell on and get some action on the right!

Taylor - 7, better than recent weeks, and had one or two decent efforts.

Maher - 7, kept the ball well.

Whitts - 7, played some nice balls and looked alot better than recent games.

Deano - 9 - to say hes not played much football he did very well to play 90mins and to play aswell as he did. Within the first 5 mins i was in awe, showed some fantastic touches and on another day could have had 2 assists and a goal.

Hughes - 8, got a goal, and although he didnt do to much else he put himself around well and did a hell of alot of work upthere chasing the defenders.

Davies - 7, looked very dangerous indeed and could have had 2/3 goals. Was very unlucky not to find Smalley with the cross-goal pass (brilliant tackle by there defender!).

Lewi - 7, didnt really have much time to do anything.

Liddell - 6, same as above.

Actually BB i like Smalley and like many i've been calling for his introduction to the team for some time. I just happen to think despite scoring a spectacular goal, he didn't play particularly well. Where your crap about the youth system comes from i don't know. All posts are a matter of opinion, personally i'm a fan of the youth system, i'm a Latics fan and i don't subscribe to the "if it's Latics and you're a fan you can't complain" brigade. That 'great 65 mins' is a figment of your imagination along with that 'peach of a cross'.....see what i mean?

Actually BB i like Smalley and like many i've been calling for his introduction to the team for some time. I just happen to think despite scoring a spectacular goal, he didn't play particularly well.

People called for a more attacking line-up/performance and Smalley give us that. He put in a great cross, and although after that he put in a couple of wayward ones, he ran at there defence and was direct ... and attacking, which after-all is what everybody called for!

I couldnt believe my ears when the guy behind me shouting for him to be taken off, after around 35mins. I promptly turned round and shouted get Smalley off (quite loud) when he scored :grin: .

We scream out for a 'creative' midfielder.

Deane Smalley was the most creative player on the field last night.

Just because he doesn't sit in the middle of the park doesn't mean he isn't exactly what we need.

I thought he looked a far better player than he was last season.

Fleming - 7, Did all that was asked. A little late releasing to the full backs a couple of times, but a good performance.

Eardley - 6, Struggled to handle Robson, and needed to mark tighter. Made himself available with some decent overlaps.

Lomax - 6, Very average, rarely giving team mates an option to pass to him by making space. A couple of timely blocks.

Hazell - 8, Occasionally too casual while under pressure, but commanded in the air and covered well.

Gregan - 7, Similar game to Rubes apart from some disappointing stray passes and a very risky offside trap.

Smalley - 7, Decent game with some good crosses. Nice to see him running at teams, but actually only cleanly beat a man once.

Taylor - 7, Lack of service in the 2nd half spoiled what could have been a very good game.

Maher - 7, Average. Stray passes and allowing too much space took the shine off all his effort.

Whitts - 7, When he wasn't sat too deep he played some great balls. We have seen him more creative though.

Deano - 8 - Great work rate from someone who is short of match fitness. Nice touches and unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

Hughes - 8, Harried defenders and claimed a sniffers goal by being where he should be. Some great head-ons (And one truly awful one!!)

Davies - 8, Chased everything, worried the defence, and was only let down by bad luck and a timely block.

Alessandra - Unfair to rate him over 3 minutes.

Liddell - As above.

Shez/TW - 7, Credit to them for the attacking first half that they promised. As soon as we took the foot off the gas they should have made changes though.

Fleming - 7

Eardley - 6. couple of good tackles stopped it being a 5.

Lomax - 5. very shaky, probaby because he knows he just a stop gap player.

Hazell - 7. great in the air, few instances of over confidence led to half mistakes, which he sorted out himself anyway.

Gregan - 0. absolutely brilliant in the air. two stupid balls across his own 18 yard line, and a return to the highest offside line ever, which has already cost us an automatic promotion, then dumped us out of the play offs.

Deano - 7. brilliant gol and a willingness to run at his man.

Taylor - 7. shown a few sparks a life, hopefully reaching the end of his dip in form.

Maher - 8. man of the match. does the stuff no one else wants to, litterally. our defence would be more exposed than a flasher in mid flow without him.

Whitts - 7. worked hard, unlucky with the header. should be out of the side for allott on saturday.

Deano - 8. several brilliant passes, needs to reign in on the 60 yarders though. very unlucky with the free kick. also quite unselfish, maybe because it was his debut!

Hughes - 8. gol. leading scorer. please stay.

Davies - 7. keep going and shut up.

Gregan - 0. absolutely brilliant in the air. two stupid balls across his own 18 yard line, and a return to the highest offside line ever, which has already cost us an automatic promotion, then dumped us out of the play offs.

It really is a vendetta isn't it?

Gregan was MOTM mate. :tongue1:

I prefer Smalley on the right wing, gives us a lot more balance to our play, as everything doesnt have to go down our left wing with Taylor. Thought his performance showed he is worth another starting spot at Hereford.

Our full backs are low on confidence, and it shows they are the weakest part of our team... no surprise they're lacking in confidence though!

Edited by Butter