Substitutions

Okay, let's accept the fact we were 4-0 down and very unlikely to turn it round, did the substitutions make any sense?

I didn't go to the game so would be interested in the opinions of those who did.

1) Was it right to take off Maher and Whitaker? Or could one of them have been kept out there 2nd half?

2) Could Smalley offer us a decent option on the left if Taylor leaves?

3) Does Taylor have "creative central midfielder" in him?

4) What would you have done if you'd been Shez at half time?

To me going 4-2-4 seemed pointless. If our midfield in a 4-4-2 creates little for the front men, surely fewer in the middle would create less? Or was beyond recovery anyway by that stage?

Did we learn anything from this game at all?

And were the players out on the town last night?

Edited by opinions4u

Too many questions.

Go out get wasted and forget all about it..I'm sure Shez and the players will.

Basically nothing worked, everybody had a shocker and the substitutions and formation 2nd half was non-sensicle.

We shouldnt analyse the season from this game it was a one off.

Lets concentrate on the next game.....the same team and formation played well on Monday but not today.

Substitutions, Did They Make Any Sense?
No

I think, shez needs to pay more attention on this FA training course he is on !!!

Does Taylor have "creative central midfielder" in him?
Yes

What would you have done if you'd been Shez at half time?

Took off Lomax bring on Stam- Put Taylor and Eardley wing backs, Kev and Danny in Midfield, Smalley off for Davies, Deano then just behind Hughes and Davies.

3 - 5 - 2 - Windass sitting anchor to the front two and Taylor and Eardley getting forward when they can and supporting the midfield and closing down there quick play.

We have been beat to many times in Midfield this season. IMO Shez doesn't know how to play against a 5 man midfield !!

Took off Lomax bring on Stam- Put Taylor and Eardley wing backs, Kev and Danny in Midfield, Smalley off for Davies, Deano then just behind Hughes and Davies.

3 - 5 - 2 - Windass sitting anchor to the front two and Taylor and Eardley getting forward when they can and supporting the midfield and closing down there quick play.

We have been beat to many times in Midfield this season. IMO Shez doesn't know how to play against a 5 man midfield !!

I think you have summed it up beautifully.

Might not have saved the game, but it would have been a chance to practice a plan B for 45 minutes.

Sounds like he wanted to throw the kitchen sink at it but didn't really know how.

Exact team and formation for 2nd half we spoke about at half time.

Completely agree with your plan of action.

Shez needs to come and watch the game from the stands with us....he might see a different game!

Edited by leeblue72

Exact team and formation for 2nd half we spoke about at half time.

Completely agree with your plan of action.

Shez needs to come and watch the game from the stands with us....he might see a different game!

Shez is Great young coach !! I would defend him to the hilt !!

But, Manager ??? sorry but no !! Thats not a Shez out shout neither, he needs direction

We have the team to win promotion, we just dont have the man management to make them play like a team to do the job ! IMO

It has been a niggly feeling since the winning run at the start of the season ended.

Would still give it until May though.

I'm not calling for his head ! I know and been told that on the training field Shez is 110 % and a great coach but if you read Windass recent blog . Shez doesnt want to be called gaffer or boss just Shez, I'm uneasy about it has Ive always called the manager Gaffer, but shez it is !! (or words to that affect)

This is a perfect example about the Players Mate Shez, not there Boss !!

Shez needs to be reminded he IS the Boss, GAFFER, Chief, - Repect is a two way thing !

We laugh and joke about seeing a player in Tesco etc but there is to many stories of other poor discipline matters coming out !! IMO

I'm not calling for his head ! I know and been told that on the training field Shez is 110 % and a great coach but if you read Windass recent blog . Shez doesnt want to be called gaffer or boss just Shez, I'm uneasy about it has Ive always called the manager Gaffer, but shez it is !! (or words to that affect)

Shez needs to be reminded he IS the Boss, GAFFER, Chief, - Repect is a two way thing !

We laugh and joke about seeing a player in Tesco etc but there is to many stories of other poor discipline matters coming out !! IMO

Thats something thats concerned me since that article on the main site early this week about Windass and Hughes, it was all Hughesy this and Deano that, add to what Windass said in his blog.

HERE GOES ....

Okay, let's accept the fact we were 4-0 down and very unlikely to turn it round, did the substitutions make any sense? yes and no .... we need a creative force in CM ... but in a 3-man midfield .... should have gone 3-5-2

I didn't go to the game so would be interested in the opinions of those who did.

1) Was it right to take off Maher and Whitaker? Or could one of them have been kept out there 2nd half? i wud have brought off lomax not maher ... whittaker i would say yes but didnt think he was even on the pitch 1st half :huh: :huh: :huh:

2) Could Smalley offer us a decent option on the left if Taylor leaves? maybe ... can't see it long term ... but given how he likes to run inside not outside from the right at least he can shoot if starting on the left and had 3-4 sizzling efforts 2nd half

3) Does Taylor have "creative central midfielder" in him? yep in a 3-man CM - and adds the high tempo closing down we lack .... certainly worth trying - wud love it if D.JONES comes back fit .... 3-5-2 anyone EARDS in his best position ??? -- lets not forget how taylors form has dipped since the hype helped teams to put 3men on him for 90mins

4) What would you have done if you'd been Shez at half time? already answered .... 3-5-2 maybe stam on for the atrocious el-capitano ... davies for lomax and allott for the anonymous danny whitt

To me going 4-2-4 seemed pointless. If our midfield in a 4-4-2 creates little for the front men, surely fewer in the middle would create less? Or was beyond recovery anyway by that stage? exactly !!! three in the middle free's up taylor infront of maher and allott

Did we learn anything from this game at all? We don't yet have enough points for safety AND gregan is STILL a liability despite 2 previous awesome performances

And were the players out on the town last night? wouldn't put it past shez, hughesy and greegs

Edited by eyres_28

What was gonna happen? Nothing woulda made sense in the end. I'm certainly not defending Sheridan on this one (he and theplayers are all being fired at as a team after today), but regardless of the opposition and how they line up, our play is what I'm more concerned with, and that sorta play would see us get beaten by any side from any league.

Again, 4-0 down, there's nowt you can do. Their players were too confident by this point. Three at the back isn't working for starters cos their wide boys were absolutely running riot. The only thing you can do is whack a striker on, and hope the worst footballing back-four I've seen can punt a lucky ball up top.

As for the "if I was the boss at half-time question", I wouldn't rant simply because at 4-0 there's no point. I wouldn't be able to muster the energy. I woulda really hit them hard with emotional messages; such as asking them to take a long, hard look at themselves and be utterly ashamed of what they see.

Yes, our on field problems stem from what the players/coaches refer to each other as.

whittacker has been a weak link for months,but is living on his early season performances,needs dropping for a good few games,otherwise he will continue to play badly and get away with it.

allott should have started,not saying it would have made a great deal of difference,but his form has returned recently and i would say we play better with allott and maher together.....

totally agree with no manmanagement,your not a player any more your the boss,and should act accordingly....

if you cant get a team of players motivated then ask for help,its not an admission of failure,takes a bigger person to understand there struggling and ask for help to put it right.

get the players in tomorrow for punishment....and run them up and down tandle hills for 2 or 3 hours,give them something to think about,then go watch videos of the last 4 or 5 games and work out where your going wrong....

lastly...against stockport impose a touchline ban on your self and go watch the game from the directors box,and if you still cant work out where we go wrong its time to call it a day.....

if this is the start of the second half of the season collapse for the third year running,i think it will be out of his own hands come may.

Okay, let's accept the fact we were 4-0 down and very unlikely to turn it round, did the substitutions make any sense?

1) Was it right to take off Maher and Whitaker? Or could one of them have been kept out there 2nd half?

Whaittaker shouldnt play for the club ever again

No hes a right winger, only player to come out with any credit today.

This useless piece of :censored: winger cant cut it on the wing hes no chance in the centre. Cash in

Brought Craig davies on up front instead of right wing. Complete waste of time. We never ever ever played 4-2-4 it was still 4-4-2. After the 3rd went in he should have changed everything. Kelvin Lomax should never appear in an oldham top again and Dean Windass can :censored: off back to Hull. The most pathetic bunch of bottling players I have seen in Latics tops. And only 2 of them had the backbone to come over and clap what was left of the away following. Oldham Athletic are a disgrace. We want our money back NOW

To me going 4-2-4 seemed pointless. If our midfield in a 4-4-2 creates little for the front men, surely fewer in the middle would create less? Or was beyond recovery anyway by that stage?

Yes the whole team needs discipline. Sheridan out. Tactically naive and when the goald were going in left right and centre he didnt even ball at them or offer any support or ideas to work our way back in. Pathetic

I was out on the town last night and I guarantee Id have put in a better shift than any of them

Too little

Too late

Personally, I'd try harder playing for my mate's footy team than I would for my bosses.....