Five ditching all it's US Sports coverage

sorry if this has already been mentioned on a NFL or NHL thread - which I'm not trawling through because I'm just not interested - but I've just found out that Five are ditching all their US Sports coverage.

Which means..........no............more..............baseball. F*****s! One of the best shows on telly that was. Bah. Farewell Johnny,Josh,Erik & co. Yanks for the memories!

sorry if this has already been mentioned on a NFL or NHL thread - which I'm not trawling through because I'm just not interested - but I've just found out that Five are ditching all their US Sports coverage.

Which means..........no............more..............baseball. F*****s! One of the best shows on telly that was. Bah. Farewell Johnny,Josh,Erik & co. Yanks for the memories!

Link?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=956949

These lot seem to think they are ditching the studio coverage, which would mean it would end up a bit like NASN I would guess. Not the end of the World, but I guess it loses its personality.

ah right, I read that it was totally kaputt. Still, even if they do still show baseball without the studio stuff I'll never watch it again. I can get live baseball on other channels and on the internet but Five had that edge, I would record and watch games that I had very little interest in purely because of the studio aspect and the lack of commercials.

I happen to have Josh Chetwynd's email address as we're both members of the same history society so I've just emailed him asking for info. I'll let you know what he comes back with.

ah right, I read that it was totally kaputt. Still, even if they do still show baseball without the studio stuff I'll never watch it again. I can get live baseball on other channels and on the internet but Five had that edge, I would record and watch games that I had very little interest in purely because of the studio aspect and the lack of commercials.

I happen to have Josh Chetwynd's email address as we're both members of the same history society so I've just emailed him asking for info. I'll let you know what he comes back with.

Sky+ is ace on NASN as they always show the same advert before returning to the game (be it baseball/college football/ice hockey) - so you can bomb through the adverts.

The only problem is they aren't exactly strict on the schedule and Sky + is very strict on that - meaning you have to record the next programme, and generally the one oafter that too. The college football bowl season soon uses up your hard drive.

The only problem I have with Five is that is the game goes on too long they just leave it and go to Frumpty Tumpty the Pink Dinosaur or some other equally poor :censored:, leaving you no better off than the start of the game.

a quick reply....

"Thanks for the e-mail. Unfortunately, what you're hearing is true. To say that we're all gutted is an understatement. But, despite being Five's longest running show, we were a casualty of the bad economy. Sorry to be the messenger of bad news"

I'm not sure if it means it's all off or just the studio coverage. I've replied again and asked in a round-a-bout way "ah well, :censored: happens, you'll get another job. so are the games still on then?" - didnt seem the right way of broaching the subject ;-)

I would be surprised if they do put baseball games on, old repeats of Magnum or the highlights of Dutch football games will probably be a cheaper option for them. I guess we'll just have to wait for the baseball season and see what happens. Hopefully another channel will sweep up the whole team and put it back on.

I hope he doesnt mind me posting his replies on the worlds premier football forum but.......

"Thanks for the kind words. I can't begin to tell you how much I'll miss the show (and how much it sucks to be looking for a new gig in this economy!) but at least it happened when there are a number of other places to catch baseball on TV or the internet in the UK. It's a very small consolation for me...but I'm looking for a silver lining!"

which would suggest that they've pulled the plug on the whole shebang.

As you say.......COME ON BRAVO!

This is annoying, as I quite like the US sports and five was a good place to watch them. Johnny Gould is a bit of a :censored: though, although I'm biased because he mispronouced my name when he read an e-mail out from me and its not like my surname is hard to pronounce properly. I feel sorry for the people concerned and if FIVE does cancel its footage entirely then I can see another channel picking it up- this has got something like Bravo, ITV4, BBC three (more people will watch Baseball/American football than re-runs of Gavin and Stacy) or FX written all over it. Hopefully ITV4 will show some as that means I can watch it online.