fan ,supporter ,follower ?

just been having this discusion on a forum at work what do you ? think describes the aforementioned my thoughts are

fan

goes every game home and away avidly trawls numerous web boards for news and views of the club seasonticket holder for years always has some item of club branded merchandise on his person

supporter

goes to most home and some away keeps abreast of news has branded merchandise for games window sticker in car etc

follower

goes to the odd home game usualy when we get a big team in the cup has no merchandise would watch us ont telly if we were on but only down pub with his mates

agree or disagree

FAN - is fanatical about the club

SUPPORTER - financially supports the club but is not fanatical

FOLLOWER - follows the club's progress in the Sunday Papers

Hence, you are not a FAN of American Football Teams or Rock Bands UNLESS your interest is EXCESSIVE and IRRATIONAL. It doesn't mean that your interest is not appreciated or valued any more or less, but it doesn't mean that you are a FAN.

Exile Spends hours and hours on OWTB and other web sites (including the Rarely Wrong) hanging onto every word, rumour and opinion through shear "Latics depravation" On matchdays gets up at whatever time of the day it happens to be in his time zone that the match takes place (big shout out to the Aussie/Kiwi Latics). Waits in the cold (if the heating's not on) if at home or risks the wrath of his manager if at work as Latics World cranks up and (if he dares chance overloading his web connection) at the same time logs onto OWTB Live Chat... Says "Hi" to Bob and then settles in to chat away using his enhanced 'hunt and peck' keyboarding skills and AT THE SAME TIME listens to Gordon's commentary and Roy's lickle "insights"... Wonders to himself what happened to those blokes who used to do the commentary... Notices that other fans on OWTB have faster internet connections and hopefully waits for a "Yes!" and dreads a "Nooooooo" (or worse a "#$#%") from them... At half time thinks of something to do now that they no longer "go back to the studio" - no pies or Bovril available here (cough)... (Tries not to think of Roy shouting about where Gordon had gone that time when they forgot to switch off the mike )... When the match is over there is no post-mortem over a pint with mates so he goes back to enjoying the "latest action" from the EPL (ugh).

Spare a thought for the Exile, eh? :wink:

This is definately me. My sad life revolves around logging onto owtb, the os or 606, in my daily attempt not to miss a single scrap of news or a vicious rumor. I havent seen a game since Jan 2007, when I was lucky enough to see 3 home matches. I have even planned my next visit for September, not July ,so I am not in Oldham during the close season. I subscribe to Latics World and listen to every interview and even though I am in Melbourne, would recognise every player in the street. Not that I am likely to see them in Melbourne.

This is definately me. My sad life revolves around logging onto owtb, the os or 606, in my daily attempt not to miss a single scrap of news or a vicious rumor. I havent seen a game since Jan 2007, when I was lucky enough to see 3 home matches. I have even planned my next visit for September, not July ,so I am not in Oldham during the close season. I subscribe to Latics World and listen to every interview and even though I am in Melbourne, would recognise every player in the street. Not that I am likely to see them in Melbourne.

Understood, I'm lucky enough to get back most Christmases and New Years (maybe that's why I'm always "late" for LW Saturday morning kick-offs...) and last year in Sept/Oct.

Singe, I forgot that Latics fans in Asia also have a huge time difference and so a ball-ache of a KO time. I wonder who's got the "worst KO time"? I suppose it depends - and it does vary with midweek matches etc.

Anyway, my description of an Exile was partly written tongue-in-cheek to show the "suffering" we go through instead of getting to the game.

Back on topic, we grew up thinking you were a supporter if you went to the matches (home matches) but a lot of people (um, "EPL" fans?) probably don't even think about going to the match. They buy the shirt, the mug, the calendar and the Sky subscription is their "season ticket". In fact, their "struggle" is to see their beloved team on TV, especially with the problem of the Sky/Setanta split now (LOVE IT! :grin: ). So they have to find someone who has the one the don't have and leave their home to go and watch it. I suppose it's like "Home" and "Away" matches for Yoonited fans - Sky could be home and Setanta away...

See you bright and early 7am tomorrow... :sleeping::grin:

PS I never know or have known what most of the players look like - never been interested, maybe cos I'm a bloke... I remember that time when we were in the M62 Services shop after the 3-3 Grimsby Boxing Day match and some athletic-looking (no pun intended) blokes came in.... Although, I almost had a word with Craig Fleming in the Cobh club bar in Ireland in 1996...

Edited by martjs

"Singe, I forgot that Latics fans in Asia also have a huge time difference and so a ball-ache of a KO time. I wonder who's got the "worst KO time"? I suppose it depends - and it does vary with midweek matches etc. "

Saturday afternoon games aren't too bad for me; 9:00pm BST and 10:00pm when the clocks change. However, midweek matches are difficult. The L**ds match will be a 3:00am start and a 5:00am finish. And I start work at 8:00am.

I didn't get to bed until gone 3:00am after the draw with Leicester.

I feel your pain exiles, after living in Oz for 3 years from 2001 - 2004, I will never forget the hours pressing refresh on the BBC wesite for score updates and any other other pieces of information latics.

Little things I will never forget about Latics is what fans do for each other, fans giving each other lifts to games, Lisa and Dan texting me scores and updates when I lived in Oz, the emotioned shown when things went wrong in the summer of 2004.. All makes us great fans.

The people who are on low wages or have to pay for kids and themselves to see games to me are the so called Super Fans.

People say in winter there is a condition called SAD what is the condition called from later May to early Aug when there is no football and everything is boring ? :lol:

A fan will do what they can to see a game

A supporter will get to games when they can

A follower looks out for the results of a team and will get to games when there are special offers on

Maniac: Goes to every single game ever, would get tickets at 50x the price on the black market if they had to. Knows the name of the deputy physio. Dreams about Latics, wouldn't dream of playing Football Manager/FIFA/PES with anyone but Latics. Would know all players, staff, physios, washing ladies and cooks from the last 50 years on the street. :lol:

Fan: Goes to all the games they can get to. I go to all home, but no away as I can't/not allowed etc, does that make me less of a fan? Will stick with the club through and through. Would know almost all players on the street.

Supporter: Same as a fan, just slightly toned down! Would know most players on the street.

Follower: Anyone who lives in the vicinity, reads the match reports, comes for the very occasional match, would know one or two players if they saw them on the street.

Going off that, Joe, I am a maniac!!!