fan ,supporter ,follower ?

just been having this discusion on a forum at work what do you ? think describes the aforementioned my thoughts are

fan

goes every game home and away avidly trawls numerous web boards for news and views of the club seasonticket holder for years always has some item of club branded merchandise on his person

supporter

goes to most home and some away keeps abreast of news has branded merchandise for games window sticker in car etc

follower

goes to the odd home game usualy when we get a big team in the cup has no merchandise would watch us ont telly if we were on but only down pub with his mates

agree or disagree

My take is:

Fan

Not necessarily a watcher of the side, but takes great interest. I would say I'm a fan of the St Louis Cardinals for instance.

Supporter

Goes to matches and supports the team with his/her presence.

Follower

Has an interest and is vaguely aware of the goings on. Will show up to games when and if they want, often bigger games.

My take is:

Fan

Not necessarily a watcher of the side, but takes great interest. I would say I'm a fan of the St Louis Cardinals for instance.

Supporter

Goes to matches and supports the team with his/her presence.

Follower

Has an interest and is vaguely aware of the goings on. Will show up to games when and if they want, often bigger games.

i have to agree with oldham sheridan

if you are a fan of a group or singer, you dont go and watch them at every gig

ah but? what do you call some one who only watch them on sky other then a plastic red b*%$&@?d

The difference with those red b*%$&@?ds is that they make no attempt to get to games. I have missed a lot of games this season for various reasons but I still believe I am a fan. I am just as passionate about latics as anyone else I know.

I would say I'm a fan of the St Louis Cardinals for instance.

Interesting that......i watch the Detroit Tigers a couple of times a year, likewise the Chicago Cubs and the LA Angels. I have merchandise for all three and i do have a 'more favoured' team amongst the three but in neither case would i call myself a fan.....just a Baseball follower.

Semantics i guess.

My take is:

Fan: Someone who attends most home games in a season. I don't follow all the :censored: about if you don't attend 99% of away games your not considered a 'fan'. Alternatively, someone who has an avid interest in the club and/or has attended in the past, or maintains a passion for the club. As with anything, resources or time to attend (i.e. away games) something shouldn't diminish this status as people may have an avid interest in the club, but may not afford to go.

Supporter: Supports the club, but perhaps not with the same passion as a 'fan'. Still attends games when possible.

Follower: Only comes out for the big games. Makes no attempt to attend games even with the resources to do so. 'Surprisingly' also out of this one day of the year, they actually truely consider themselves to be a fan, yet you ask them six months later or when the going gets tough, they are more than happy to relinquish this. Rather than supporting a club, they follow the sport in general.

Maniac: Goes to every single game ever, would get tickets at 50x the price on the black market if they had to. Knows the name of the deputy physio. Dreams about Latics, wouldn't dream of playing Football Manager/FIFA/PES with anyone but Latics. Would know all players, staff, physios, washing ladies and cooks from the last 50 years on the street. :lol:

Fan: Goes to all the games they can get to. I go to all home, but no away as I can't/not allowed etc, does that make me less of a fan? Will stick with the club through and through. Would know almost all players on the street.

Supporter: Same as a fan, just slightly toned down! Would know most players on the street.

Follower: Anyone who lives in the vicinity, reads the match reports, comes for the very occasional match, would know one or two players if they saw them on the street.

Maniac: Goes to every single game ever, would get tickets at 50x the price on the black market if they had to. Knows the name of the deputy physio. Dreams about Latics, wouldn't dream of playing Football Manager/FIFA/PES with anyone but Latics. Would know all players, staff, physios, washing ladies and cooks from the last 50 years on the street. :lol:

Fa all n: Goes tothe games they can get to. I go to all home, but no away as I can't/not allowed etc, does that make me less of a fan? Will stick with the club through and through. Would know almost all players on the street.

Supporter: Same as a fan, just slightly toned down! Would know most players on the street.

Follower: Anyone who lives in the vicinity, reads the match reports, comes for the very occasional match, would know one or two players if they saw them on the street.

Agreed!

Fan: Goes to all the games they can get to. I go to all home, but no away as I can't/not allowed etc, does that make me less of a fan? Will stick with the club through and through. Would know almost all players on the street.

agree l would say am a fan based on that.

My take is:

Fan: Someone who attends most home games in a season. I don't follow all the :censored: about if you don't attend 99% of away games your not considered a 'fan'. Alternatively, someone who has an avid interest in the club and/or has attended in the past, or maintains a passion for the club. As with anything, resources or time to attend (i.e. away games) something shouldn't diminish this status as people may have an avid interest in the club, but may not afford to go.

Supporter: Supports the club, but perhaps not with the same passion as a 'fan'. Still attends games when possible.

Follower: Only comes out for the big games. Makes no attempt to attend games even with the resources to do so. 'Surprisingly' also out of this one day of the year, they actually truely consider themselves to be a fan, yet you ask them six months later or when the going gets tough, they are more than happy to relinquish this. Rather than supporting a club, they follow the sport in general.

Exile Spends hours and hours on OWTB and other web sites (including the Rarely Wrong) hanging onto every word, rumour and opinion through shear "Latics depravation" On matchdays gets up at whatever time of the day it happens to be in his time zone that the match takes place (big shout out to the Aussie/Kiwi Latics). Waits in the cold (if the heating's not on) if at home or risks the wrath of his manager if at work as Latics World cranks up and (if he dares chance overloading his web connection) at the same time logs onto OWTB Live Chat... Says "Hi" to Bob and then settles in to chat away using his enhanced 'hunt and peck' keyboarding skills and AT THE SAME TIME listens to Gordon's commentary and Roy's lickle "insights"... Wonders to himself what happened to those blokes who used to do the commentary... Notices that other fans on OWTB have faster internet connections and hopefully waits for a "Yes!" and dreads a "Nooooooo" (or worse a "#$#%") from them... At half time thinks of something to do now that they no longer "go back to the studio" - no pies or Bovril available here (cough)... (Tries not to think of Roy shouting about where Gordon had gone that time when they forgot to switch off the mike )... When the match is over there is no post-mortem over a pint with mates so he goes back to enjoying the "latest action" from the EPL (ugh).

Spare a thought for the Exile, eh? :wink:

Edited by martjs

Exile Spends hours and hours on OWTB and other web sites (including the Rarely Wrong) hanging onto every word, rumour and opinion through shear "Latics depravation" On matchdays gets up at whatever time of the day it happens to be in his time zone that the match takes place (big shout out to the Aussie/Kiwi Latics). Waits in the cold (if the heating's not on) if at home or risks the wrath of his manager if at work as Latics World cranks up and (if he dares chance overloading his web connection) at the same time logs onto OWTB Live Chat... Says "Hi" to Bob and then settles in to chat away using his enhanced 'hunt and peck' keyboarding skills and AT THE SAME TIME listens to Gordon's commentary and Roy's lickle "insights"... Wonders to himself what happened to those blokes who used to do the commentary... Notices that other fans on OWTB have faster internet connections and hopefully waits for a "Yes!" and dreads a "Nooooooo" (or worse a "#$#%") from them... At half time thinks of something to do now that they no longer "go back to the studio" - no pies or Bovril available here (cough)... (Tries not to think of Roy shouting about where Gordon had gone that time when they forgot to switch off the mike )... When the match is over there is no post-mortem over a pint with mates so he goes back to enjoying the "latest action" from the EPL (ugh).

Spare a thought for the Exile, eh? :wink:

Yeah. We should start a spectrum of group classifications :wink:

Well thats what I was trying to emphasise too. Those who live away from Oldham, yet still have the passion for the club, are still fans. Regardless of whether they go home games or away games. No doubt we will have some fans who are passionate about latics but aren't in the position to go any games.

Well thats what I was trying to emphasise too. Those who live away from Oldham, yet still have the passion for the club, are still fans. Regardless of whether they go home games or away games. No doubt we will have some fans who are passionate about latics but aren't in the position to go any games.

I unfortunately fall under that category. Living in North Yorkshire I am a subscriber to Latics World and go on the OWTB boards as well as the Oldham 606 board and try and keep up to date with everything Latics. I try and get to as many games as I can and always go when I'm 'home' in Oldham. The trouble is I still have over-whelming feelings of guilt when I see that the attendance is low.

That's me. I haven't been to a Latics match for six years but still consider myself a fan.I can empathise with martjs. I no longer subscribe to LW but I follow every kick on the computer.

Last Saturday was fantastic. I actually got to see the Leicester match. It was even more special as my parents are currently visiting so we were able to watch it together. I think we must have woken up the whole street :)

I can't wait for the L**ds game. Even though it means getting up in the middle of the night with only a couple of hours seperating the final whistle and me going in to work.

On a connected note, one of my students supports West Ham. His dad was born and raised in the East End and is a big Hammer. the boy, however, was born in Singapore and has a Thai mother. He is fifteen and has never seen West Ham play; he's been to the ground a few times during the summer. He watches every single match on tv, buys the official kit(as opposed to cheap Thai copies), knows every detail about every player (including former players), his mood changes depending on the results and his ambition is to play for the team. He's West Ham mad but lives 6,000 miles away. Would you consider him to be a "fan"?

Good question peanuts, I've thought of bringing this up previously though my thoughts are on a slightly different slant.

As well as looking at how many games are attended, I would consider how 'blind' your support is.

If Latics were demoted to League 2, Conference or even beyond would you still turn up?

When we play badly do you moan and threaten to stop supporting, or do you take it as 'just part of the Latics experience'?

Do you see your ticket price as being a payment for entertainment, which needs t obe justified by a decent performance, or are you here no matter how rubbish we are?

Any thoughts?

When we play badly do you moan and threaten to stop supporting, or do you take it as 'just part of the Latics experience'?

Would threatening not to go again show that your less of a fan? I've said that before after an abysmal display, but thats just in the heat of the moment when you feel let down by the team

Would threatening not to go again show that your less of a fan? I've said that before after an abysmal display, but thats just in the heat of the moment when you feel let down by the team

Surely we've all had our 'Fawlty Towers' moments when the team has 'done it for the last time'.

Mine seem to happen at Rotherham.

I have been a supporter for the last 17yrs when i was a member when the old membership books were available going to all home games n 90% of away games but since the 00's the number of games i attend has gone down to 3/4 a season if I'm lucky this due to the fact I'm unemployed n have 3 kids but i search the net for the latest story's I'm on here 4/5 times a day(but don't post as i don't want to be classed as a stay away fan)when i can come to watch a game its not for the so called BIG GAMES the last match i went to was against Mk dons,my eldest son is a tic n i bring him when i come,all my family n friends know I'm a tic n take allot of stick for it,i subscribe to lw n listen to every match i watch the latest interviews n watch all the highlights, i went on the march last yr,my heart is blue n so is the blood the runs through my veins so does this make me less of a fan/supporter compared to the 1s that go to every home/away game,my heart wants to but my wallet doesn't let me.

a supporter is more than a fan. they pay money and support the club. tta do loads, but they wouldnt do it to this extent if there were only 100 fans at the game. id also like to retract my statement with regards to merchandise. if there were two fans, dick and fanny, both were 22 years old and had never been to a game. dick buys the kit every year, along with a calander and the occasional mug. this makes him a supporter, and fanny is a fan.

in my eyes anyway.