What can we do?

It seems all I read on this site is various threads/polls that all degenerate into the same thing - name calling and petty squabbling over the same issue.

What no one seems to be asking is, can the fans do anything to help?

Several people have alluded on here to not going to BP anymore because they aren't being entertained enough. So instead of whinging about it and waiting for the team to deliver attacking successful football how about some ideas to give the fans a boost, to get everyone up for match day, to sing, shout and encourage the team rather than the moans and groans that usually follow after the first mistake of the match.

Maybe an organised march to the ground, combine it with a bucket collection for ernie's charity. Get the club involved and play classic matches on tv in the ground, or over the PA before ko and at half time.

Any other suggestions? Or is this just piddling into the wind and we should just accept there's a negative atmosphere and nothing will change?

It seems all I read on this site is various threads/polls that all degenerate into the same thing - name calling and petty squabbling over the same issue.

Several people have alluded on here to not going to BP anymore because they aren't being entertained enough. So instead of whinging about it and waiting for the team to deliver attacking successful football how about some ideas to give the fans a boost, to get everyone up for match day, to sing, shout and encourage the team rather than the moans and groans that usually follow after the first mistake of the match.

Maybe an organised march to the ground, combine it with a bucket collection for ernie's charity. Get the club involved and play classic matches on tv in the ground, or over the PA before ko and at half time.

Any other suggestions? Or is this just piddling into the wind and we should just accept there's a negative atmosphere and nothing will change?

You must have read my mind! All those guys on the pitch must hear is negative crap from their own fans. It's no wonder the team does not perform well at home. They must dread playing there. I have just said in my new topic, perhaps the town does not deserve a championship club.

At the away games you can hear the fans singing and chanting before the team is even on the pitch. This MUST have an effect on the team.

At home - it's either the wind from the air or out of someone's mouth or backside. Nothing but poisonous fumes.

Albeit when we're playing a 'well supported team' we sometimes compete for atmosphere.

There is one remedy for the lack of noise at home and this is ....

Get promoted to a higher division and play against more supported teams.

When we play garbage then the fans have a right to voice their opinions i feel.

I was always one to stand up for the team and anyone else working for the club I support but - when we play like we did on Saturday, showing a shower of ***** to those who paid 20quid to be entertained then I sit down and shut up. I have never and will never boo..... but I've gone quiet. (and that's not just because I'm thousands of miles away - I'm embarassed)

Reason for edit - "Shez in" free zone

Edited by Daboke

I think as fans we should do more. I enjoy a game far more when there is a bit of atmosphere. The problem is there are far too many people who just want to sit down all game and say nothing until a player makes a mistake. More people need to get in the mood, how much more fun is it when you're having a good sing? The players need to play their part and give people something to shout about, but how about we just get behind them regardless at the start of the game and see what happens? Yeah, yeah, yeah I know i'm gonna be a happy clapper for saying all this, but it's not about turning a blind eye to diabolical performances like Saturday, it's more about making the game more enjoyable regardless of the performance. The team generally respond everytime we really throw ourselves behind them beacuse it builds a kind of seige mentality amongst the fans and that often plays out on the pitch. Do you think we had nothing to do with the fight shown away at Leicester? That's not to say that us getting behind the team will see us win the Champions Leage in 5 years time and it's not going to irradicate performances like that on Saturday but it's worth several points a season i reckon. We need the players to want to play for us not just for the cash they get guarenteed at the end of each week.

I think as fans we should do more. I enjoy a game far more when there is a bit of atmosphere. The problem is there are far too many people who just want to sit down all game and say nothing until a player makes a mistake. More people need to get in the mood, how much more fun is it when you're having a good sing? The players need to play their part and give people something to shout about, but how about we just get behind them regardless at the start of the game and see what happens? Yeah, yeah, yeah I know i'm gonna be a happy clapper for saying all this, but it's not about turning a blind eye to diabolical performances like Saturday, it's more about making the game more enjoyable regardless of the performance. The team generally respond everytime we really throw ourselves behind them beacuse it builds a kind of seige mentality amongst the fans and that often plays out on the pitch. Do you think we had nothing to do with the fight shown away at Leicester? That's not to say that us getting behind the team will see us win the Champions Leage in 5 years time and it's not going to irradicate performances like that on Saturday but it's worth several points a season i reckon. We need the players to want to play for us not just for the cash they get guarenteed at the end of each week.

Well said! And they wont want to play for us if all they can hear is abuse!

another part of the problem is the stewards. Rocky rd end try to make some noise but then stewards tell them to sit down and the atmosphere as gone. This is when you can here all the booing and players getting abused.

It's always been like that... since the days of JK Latics - would anybody want it any other way? :lol:

another part of the problem is the stewards. Rocky rd end try to make some noise but then stewards tell them to sit down and the atmosphere as gone. This is when you can here all the booing and players getting abused.

I agree to an extent, but when you're in the 'I' block of the RRE and you look across the stand, who else is joining in the singing in the other sections even when it really starts to get going? Leezy and a couple of others at the front, apart from that it's dead. That's not all down to the stewards, it's down to alot of people not caring enough and others being scared to stand up and join in for fear of the 'sitdown brigade'. But while we're on the subject you don't necessarily have to stand to sing, you can still join in when you're sat down just not to the same extent. I have had this discussion before with people from the other blocks in the RRE and the response is generally that they did try and join in earl;y in the season but just got absue off those around them to sit down. I think that the moral of teh story is that if you want to join in and sing then you should get your ass in the 'I' block where the vast majority are of the same inclination on this. The stewards aren't all that bad and when it gets going they tend to leave it, they only start getting on at people when they are needlessly standingk, not when people are singing, which in my opinion is fair enough. If you want to sing, get in the 'I' block, there is plenty of room for a few hundred more and if we really want to make a difference people should move from other areas of the ground as well. The bigger the concentration of singers the more noise we will make.

I agree to an extent, but when you're in the 'I' block of the RRE and you look across the stand, who else is joining in the singing in the other sections even when it really starts to get going? Leezy and a couple of others at the front, apart from that it's dead. That's not all down to the stewards, it's down to alot of people not caring enough and others being scared to stand up and join in for fear of the 'sitdown brigade'. But while we're on the subject you don't necessarily have to stand to sing, you can still join in when you're sat down just not to the same extent. I have had this discussion before with people from the other blocks in the RRE and the response is generally that they did try and join in earl;y in the season but just got absue off those around them to sit down. I think that the moral of teh story is that if you want to join in and sing then you should get your ass in the 'I' block where the vast majority are of the same inclination on this. The stewards aren't all that bad and when it gets going they tend to leave it, they only start getting on at people when they are needlessly standingk, not when people are singing, which in my opinion is fair enough. If you want to sing, get in the 'I' block, there is plenty of room for a few hundred more and if we really want to make a difference people should move from other areas of the ground as well. The bigger the concentration of singers the more noise we will make.

different people go to football games for different reasons.

some sing and shout,some just shoat,some have a moan,some shout out funny stuff,some stand and some sit.

if people dont want to join in then thats upto them,they shouldnt be made to feel less worthy just because they dont sing or join in...

at the end of the day the club could solve a lot of its own problems on this by opening a singing section,this was mentioned by a few people when it became obvious that the lookers was coming down....if the club organised it then anybody who goes in that section and doesnt join in can expect to get some earache from others...

if people dont want to be in a singing section they will choose elswhere,but if the club cant be arsed getting involved with it you will always have a mix of singers and non singers.

Haha LL i have discussed this with you on here before. I am part of the other block and I am scared of the 'sit down brigade' :lol:

We do try and sing sitting down, but no one at all joins in around us and it gets to the point where you think why bother. I used to sit in the singing bit in the Chaddy for 10 years or so, and try and get behind the team, but back then if you looked around you realised it was only 100 people at most singing even when it sounded loud. I really have lost all my passion for home games and I cant see it coming back, the miserable majority at BP have beaten me!!

different people go to football games for different reasons.

some sing and shout,some just shoat,some have a moan,some shout out funny stuff,some stand and some sit.

if people dont want to join in then thats upto them,they shouldnt be made to feel less worthy just because they dont sing or join in...

at the end of the day the club could solve a lot of its own problems on this by opening a singing section,this was mentioned by a few people when it became obvious that the lookers was coming down....if the club organised it then anybody who goes in that section and doesnt join in can expect to get some earache from others...

if people dont want to be in a singing section they will choose elswhere,but if the club cant be arsed getting involved with it you will always have a mix of singers and non singers.

Yes I understand that people go to football for different reasons. But people who are moaning at the game, regardless of how we play it seems in some cases are doing nothing but have a negative effect on the players. I understand some people want to sit and that's fair enough, but they shouldn't be barating people who are standing up and trying to contribute to the atmosphere. I'm not saying they love the club anyless either, may be it was implied by my tone, but it just seems to me that if you want the club to succeed you should be doing everything you can to make this happen. Getting behind the team and creating a 'hostile' for away teams to come out to could really help us get through those tough games against lowly opposition which have now traditionally become a bit of a drag. The club could and probably should have made a singing section, I agree, but I think if you sit in the RRE full stop, you should be expecting people to sing and stand at times throughout the game. Like I said I don't have a problem with people wanting others to sit when nobody is singing and little is going on on the pitch, but when the atmosphere is building, surely it is to our advantage to have as many joining in as possible?

Yes I understand that people go to football for different reasons. But people who are moaning at the game, regardless of how we play it seems in some cases are doing nothing but have a negative effect on the players. I understand some people want to sit and that's fair enough, but they shouldn't be barating people who are standing up and trying to contribute to the atmosphere. I'm not saying they love the club anyless either, may be it was implied by my tone, but it just seems to me that if you want the club to succeed you should be doing everything you can to make this happen. Getting behind the team and creating a 'hostile' for away teams to come out to could really help us get through those tough games against lowly opposition which have now traditionally become a bit of a drag. The club could and probably should have made a singing section, I agree, but I think if you sit in the RRE full stop, you should be expecting people to sing and stand at times throughout the game. Like I said I don't have a problem with people wanting others to sit when nobody is singing and little is going on on the pitch, but when the atmosphere is building, surely it is to our advantage to have as many joining in as possible?

im not dissagreeing with you..

but you cant hold a view of if you go in rre you should be singing full stop.

a lot of people went in the rre because the lookers came down and they got a £20 discount.

the people from the lookers are hardly the singing kind of people,more or less all the singers are from the chaddy end and the paddocks....

people go in that stand as it has an unimpaired view,as opposed to the chaddy end.

bolton have said it is introducing a singing section and its well documented where it is,if you dont sing and you go in there you can expect to get stick.

the club i think need to look into this as a possibility,have all the singers together so to speak to create the atmosphere which so many crave

Haha LL i have discussed this with you on here before. I am part of the other block and I am scared of the 'sit down brigade' :lol:

We do try and sing sitting down, but no one at all joins in around us and it gets to the point where you think why bother. I used to sit in the singing bit in the Chaddy for 10 years or so, and try and get behind the team, but back then if you looked around you realised it was only 100 people at most singing even when it sounded loud. I really have lost all my passion for home games and I cant see it coming back, the miserable majority at BP have beaten me!!

Yeah I think our conversation is what I was referring to haha! Like I said earlier I think you should let them have their unspoilt view and move into the 'I' block, the more the merrier and all that. As you say regarding the Chaddy End I sat in there for the Leeds game and when you looked down the stand it really was only 1/3 of the stand putting any effort in, if that. Going back to what someone else has said, we have to understand that people go to the football for different things, but personally I don't think moaning counts as a valid reason for turning up and ruining a potentially good atmosphere. I really think we should start a campaign to get as many willing singers to move to the RRE as possible sooner rather than later, exchanging their season tickets if they and the club are willing. You look at places like Sheff Wed and Leeds and like many others, they don't have singers all over the place, they have one end that is full of people committed to making an atmosphere. I prefer to sit along the side as do many others who i'm sure at away games sing their hearts out, but i've traded that to be where we can create some noise and I can't see why you wouldn't want to do the same. As I said, the game is far more enjoyable when the place is rockin'.

The lack of atmosphere can probably be attributed to apathy. People are bored of being in this division now.

The atmosphere is better at away games because people always want to outdo the home fans. And because there are fewer people, the singing is more infectious.

I don't have a problem with people not singing, as I rarely do myself. (Terrible voice, y'see.)

I don't have a problem with people moaning if it's justified.

I do have a problem with people making ill-informed comments on our players' abilities.