Another stalwart gone

Sad news to report: the death of another lifelong Latics supporter, Reg Cass. Reg, who lived in the Garden Suburb, was 78 and had been a year-in, year-out supporter since the immediate post-war seasons. A season ticket holder for most of that time, his preferred spot at Boundary Park was in the old paddock at the front of the main stand where he would stand at the top of the terracing next to the players’ tunnel ready to give players, managers and referees the odd bit of timely advice. When that area was seated, he migrated to the Lookers stand. Although he had to cut back on attendance at away matches in recent seasons, he never missed a home match until December when he became ill.

He was one of the old school supporters who never gave up on the club through a diet of Third Division North and Fourth Division matches and got his reward when he watched - as he later admitted - through tears of pride as Joe Royle and Mike Milligan led the team out at Wembley for the Littlewoods Cup final, an achievement that supporters of his generation had never imagined possible. The Latics can ill afford to lose loyal diehards like Reg.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I knew Reg well as I worked with him at British Aerospace for a good while, and he was a genuinely decent bloke and staunchly loyal Latics fan. Funnily enough I was only talking about him on Saturday after the game with another ex workmate.

RIP Reg.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I knew Reg well as I worked with him at British Aerospace for a good while, and he was a genuinely decent bloke and staunchly loyal Latics fan. Funnily enough I was only talking about him on Saturday after the game with another ex workmate.

RIP Reg.

is that the same reg i knew , had a beard and moustache ? .. rest in peace