Lets hope we get a good quality football coach

Manager aside, I think that we have consistently put out sides that have been badly prepared for the last few years. Other teams of far less ability have looked twice as good as us, with players playing to their strengths using simple pass and play systems.

We have looked like a shambles, winning due to individual flashes of brilliaince from the likes of Hughes and Taylor.

Lets hope that we get a good coach who can create a system of playing that is replicated in the reserves and put into practise in the first team.

Manager aside, I think that we have consistently put out sides that have been badly prepared for the last few years. Other teams of far less ability have looked twice as good as us, with players playing to their strengths using simple pass and play systems.

We have looked like a shambles, winning due to individual flashes of brilliaince from the likes of Hughes and Taylor.

Lets hope that we get a good coach who can create a system of playing that is replicated in the reserves and put into practise in the first team.

Lets be honest Alec by October you'll have already decided, not matter how well he's doing, that he doesn't quite come up to your exacting standards and henceforth will snipe at him on an intermittent and totally irrational basis.

Having spent much of the Awards Dinner talking to him I don't think we need to look further than Tony P for an outstanding first-team/reserves coach.

He talks an outstanding game, has high standards and a low tolerance for lack of effort or commitment. I'd be ecstatic for him to be more involved.

Must say I've always like the cut of his jib when I've seen him at youth games, the way he talks to the players and the way he obviously expects them to conduct themselves is top notch, but then Shez was quite similar when he looked after the youth team. Did he say he like more involvement because its always been said, himself included, that he's doing what he really wants to do, bringing young players through.

Must say I've always like the cut of his jib when I've seen him at youth games, the way he talks to the players and the way he obviously expects them to conduct themselves is top notch, but then Shez was quite similar when he looked after the youth team. Did he say he like more involvement because its always been said, himself included, that he's doing what he really wants to do, bringing young players through.

He said he's been offered top jobs here and elsewhere and they've never appealed to him. However if he was to be in charge of the ressies and work with the first in a Dux/Tommy type role I think he could provide a much more effective link between the first and youth setups which has been lacking for the last three years (wink wink nudge nudge).

That's right, TP says he loves his job and I hope Penney allows him to retain it.

I asked about this and he said he sees no reason why he wouldn't be here next year. That the youth setup is seperate in terms of budget, personnel and what not to the extent that he has very little fear about his job.

Hopefully, like you say, he will continue to do the outstanding job he's been doing at Latics for all these years.

That's right, TP says he loves his job and I hope Penney allows him to retain it.

Don't think it'll be an issue. TP is well highly rated in football circles, and has done a fantastic job of feeding through young players over the years.

However, I think Tommy Wright and Mark Crossley will be out, and possibly Lee Duxbury too, sadly. All great blokes, and a couple of true Latics legends, but I think it's time for a new era now, and fresh ideas.

He said he's been offered top jobs here and elsewhere and they've never appealed to him. However if he was to be in charge of the ressies and work with the first in a Dux/Tommy type role I think he could provide a much more effective link between the first and youth setups which has been lacking for the last three years (wink wink nudge nudge).

I asked about this and he said he sees no reason why he wouldn't be here next year. That the youth setup is seperate in terms of budget, personnel and what not to the extent that he has very little fear about his job.

Hopefully, like you say, he will continue to do the outstanding job he's been doing at Latics for all these years.

While i think TP would make an excellent manager, i wouldnt want the youth setup left in the hands of someone else. He has done an excellent job and his skills alone will be financially beneficial to the club for years to come.

Getting rid would be a huge mistake. I certainly don't expect them to.

Lets say he wouldn't be short of offers anyway. Very fortunate to have him.

Lets be honest Alec by October you'll have already decided, not matter how well he's doing, that he doesn't quite come up to your exacting standards and henceforth will snipe at him on an intermittent and totally irrational basis.

Tripe....

you are the master at that.. I take my lead form you! :grin:

Interesting.

Mr Penny says he knows TP from their days at Cardiff, so lets hope this happens eh.