confirmed

From the Sunday Times in 2005:

Dave Penney is a fan of Jose Mourinho but the Doncaster Rovers manager owns some silverware beyond The Special One’s grasp. It was won before he entered professional football, while a bricklayer for Wakefield council. “When I was a brickie I wanted to be the best brickie I could be. I represented my college at brickie-ing and every year they gave a prize to the top students. I won a silver trowel,” Penney laughs. Now his reputation in another career is being cemented. “In everything I do I try to be the best,” says Penney. “As a manager I want to go as far as I can.”

Penney grew up in Castleford. “I thought I’d end up down the pit with my dad,” he says. “He was a miner. Me and my best friend applied for the pit when we left school. Within a couple of weeks my mate got taken on and I’m brighter than him, so I’m thinking, ‘What’s going on?’ My dad said, ‘Don’t worry, it’ll be all right, but you’d better apply for other things in the meantime’. As soon as I got my job as a bricklayer my dad told me that when my application form arrived at the pit, he’d ripped it up. He didn’t want me going down there. You were talking £150 per week as a miner back then and I got £27 per week as a brickie, but looking back it was a hell of a result.” Penney grafted, helping to support his parents and three brothers during the miners’ strike, when he was the sole wage-earner.

He played for Pontefract Collieries in the North East Counties League before Arthur Cox took him to Derby aged 21, but despite the odd moment of glory Penney found his level in the lower leagues: “I was a 100% player. No frills. If I had to hit a shot I hit it as hard as I could. I liked to tackle and I was fit. I ended up in midfield but I’d started as a striker and always had a goal in me.”

At Derby and Oxford he played with Steve McClaren. They became good friends and still are. By the 1998-99 season, McClaren was headhunted by Manchester United while Penney went in the opposite direction, dropping out of league football to join Doncaster.

Like Wenger, Mourinho, Jewell and McClaren, Penney proves good managers do not need to have been top players. “If you’ve been a great player you may get frustrated when players you coach can’t do it. I went to Manchester United when Steve was there and Roy Keane was bollocking everyone in training. I was having lunch with Macca afterwards and said, ‘He got out the wrong side of bed this morning didn’t he?’ Macca said, ‘Nah, he’s like that every day’. That’s the standards Roy sets himself but when he is a manager he’ll have to accept some players won’t be able to do what he could. That’s not a problem for me! “When you haven’t been a brilliant player you also have a certain drive when you become a coach. One day I’d like to be alongside Steve Mac in the Premiership.” Penney may well get there. For now he is exceeding all expectation with his team keeping McClaren’s company in the last eight of the Carling Cup

A big thank you to the selfish bastards who knew about this 4 days ago, but didn't present the rest of us with an opportunity to stick a bet on when his odds were at twelves.

:grin:

Methinks a few of his players who haven't been paid in three months at Darlo might have stuck a heap on to give their income a much needed boost :wink: