Good Bye Joe!

Honoured to be at his final game second time around. Delighted it has ended with a victory. It's the least Joe deserves! Thanks for giving us something to give us hope ahead of next season.

Its a shame we did not know he wasnt staying at the last home game... So will just have to say it here...

...now onwards and hopefully upwards with Penney :)

glad he signed off with a win....always be welcomed back,and i think he will also be used a lot over the next couple of years as a scout,with his contacts recommending decent signings.

he did state though at the start he was only here for 9 games.

glad he signed off with a win....always be welcomed back

Absolutely. What Joe achieved in his first stint with out club is legendary. Whenever you meet a football fan from around the country (even the world) and you tell them you support Oldham Athletic, they all recognise Oldham by the success we had under Joe.

For him to come back and not get a win would have been tragic. So pleased for him (more than the fans / players), that he got a win on Saturday.

he did state though at the start he was only here for 9 games.

Hmmmm. Not sure I buy this one though. Of course that is what he said, and the club said, yadda yadda yadda.

But lets be honest - he, TTA and us all wanted the results that would have got us into Play-Offs. If that had been achieved, or even we got close (ala Tranmere) I think Joe would have been angling for the job on a permenant basis.

But it didn't work out, and in the end the results were lets be honest a spectacular failure (more so when you considere the league positions of some of the teams we failed to beat).

But, even with the disaster of the last few weeks, Joe is, and will forever be a legend, a gentleman, and one of (if not THE) best things to ever happen to our club.

Edited by Scapegoat

Absolutely. What Joe achieved in his first stint with out club is legendary. Whenever you meet a football fan from around the country (even the world) and you tell them you support Oldham Athletic, they all recognise Oldham by the success we had under Joe.

For him to come back and not get a win would have been tragic. So pleased for him (more than the fans / players), that he got a win on Saturday.

Hmmmm. Not sure I buy this one though. Of course that is what he said, and the club said, yadda yadda yadda.

But lets be honest - he, TTA and us all wanted the results that would have got us into Play-Offs. If that had been achieved, or even we got close (ala Tranmere) I think Joe would have been angling for the job on a permenant basis.

But it didn't work out, and in the end the results were lets be honest a spectacular failure (more so when you considere the league positions of some of the teams we failed to beat).

But, even with the disaster of the last few weeks, Joe is, and will forever be a legend, a gentleman, and one of (if not THE) best things to ever happen to our club.

Spot on, Scapegoat.

I don't really buy the idea that Joe had no desire to stay on. To me, he seemed truly gutted to be leaving on the LW video. I hope it was his choice not to stay on but I'm not sure that's the case.

I'll be honest, Penney seems all right (if a slightly underwhelming appointment), but I'm still feeling disappointed that it won't be Big Joe for next season. I was really looking forward to that adventure...

I reckon we'd still all have been stood there now if Joe hadn't come out... When we look back at the records his second spell won't amount to anything much, but even so he got us through a period when mass suicide was on the cards and we are generally managing to be pretty positive as he hands over to DP. Thanks Joe.

Not sure Joe has got us through the period really. Hate to say it but he didn't do half as much as we'd hoped. One win in 9 or 10 games is absolutely pee poor. The only reason we're pretty positive again is because Joe is going and there's a whole new broom arriving.

E4e

SORRY

Spot on, Scapegoat.

Thanks.

I don't really buy the idea that Joe had no desire to stay on. To me, he seemed truly gutted to be leaving on the LW video. I hope it was his choice not to stay on but I'm not sure that's the case.

Agreed. I hope Joe is in agreement with the decision. Even if he is, there is no doubt a bit of a head / heart debate going on and that might be visible in his expressions e.g. Head - time to move on; Heart - I love it here, and want to bring the good times back. I think its good that the head won out.

Penney seems all right (if a slightly underwhelming appointment)

I think that given the level we are at and the money / crowds / stadium etc we have. Any appointment is either going to be underwhelming as we are not going to get a 'finished article' that gets us all excited.

Exciting appointments that we are likely to get are limited to the ones that have prior association with the club (Ritchie / Royle for example) and the expectation is more than likely to be mis-placed and potentially tarnish a reputation (though thankfully both these legends managed to get out with status intact, though I think Shez for some at least didn't whihc is a shame).

Therefore I am pleased with Dave Penney. The fact that a young-ish hungry manager looking to build his career has chosen Latics says that he thinks we have potential for him to grow his reputation - its a positive sign.

but I'm still feeling disappointed that it won't be Big Joe for next season. I was really looking forward to that adventure...

My heart agrees. But hopefully like Joe, head/heart battle is won by the one that makes most sense.