Darren Fletcher

Graham Poll thinks so.

Linky

"Even though Fletcher got a slight touch on the ball, Rosetti felt it was impossible for the Manchester United midfielder to avoid taking his opponent in the follow-through. Therefore, he had no option but to dismiss the Scot. "

So any tackle where you get the ball and then the man falls over your leg is a foul.

That's a free kick every 30 seconds then.

Edited by opinions4u

It was a penalty and a sending off, he put his hand on his shoulder to gain leveridge in order to get past him to get the ball.

For me once he had put his hand on his shoulder to pull him back then it was a penalty and a sending off, regardless of whether he played the ball or not, the offence had already been committed.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Well..even after looking at the replay and from different angles, i still haven't made up my mind.

Refs decisions have to be made in seconds, so there you go. :redcard: :redcard:

Never a pen in a million years. As much as I dislike those lot, and of the decisions they do get which they shouldn't it still weren't a penalty.

Had it meant them going out my stance may be slightly different by the way.

I'd agree with that.

However, I've given up following FIFA directives on what is and isn't a foul. So it could be that if you so much as touch the opposition in the follow through of a good tackle it is a foul. Which is what Poll is saying.

The only thing I would say, is that it is only a about a month since people were going on about Rooney's not being a foul as he got the ball against Slovakia. No consitency at all there, if this is the case.

Before he made contact with the man he made contact with the ball, if he hadnt made contact with the ball would the outcome of been the same? I doubt it. He didnt really need to make the tackle as there was no way Arsenal were going to come back but it showed his desire to win everything he could.

Anyone who says it was a penalty and a sending off.....lets see if you say the same if that happened to one of our lot in a big game.

It was never a sending off and the lad has to pay the high price because of a bad decision by the ref. He shoudl have at least consulted the linesman first as he didnt flag for it and had a better view.

Before he made contact with the man he made contact with the ball, if he hadnt made contact with the ball would the outcome of been the same? I doubt it. He didnt really need to make the tackle as there was no way Arsenal were going to come back but it showed his desire to win everything he could.

Anyone who says it was a penalty and a sending off.....lets see if you say the same if that happened to one of our lot in a big game.

It was never a sending off and the lad has to pay the high price because of a bad decision by the ref. He shoudl have at least consulted the linesman first as he didnt flag for it and had a better view.

We have had so many suspect decisons given against us in the past that i couldnt possibly count them. The Donny home game last season (i think) when the ref gave the softest penalty against Chris Taylor. But like all clubs like us we just get on with it and hope that next time it will go our way. I think people in general would have a lot more sympathy for Manure if they didnt complain about every decision that goes against them. It was nice to see them get screwed over for once, even though i do actually believe it was a foul.

We have had so many suspect decisons given against us in the past that i couldnt possibly count them. The Donny home game last season (i think) when the ref gave the softest penalty against Chris Taylor. But like all clubs like us we just get on with it and hope that next time it will go our way.

Yeah, indeed. It were never a foul, and laughable that it's a sending off. But you get on with it don't you?

Or, do you start off some online petitioning to get justice for Darren Fletcher.

I was reading something the other day that said there is no "got the ball" defence anymore so if the ref saw it that way then he made contact with the man from the side/back and he has to give a foul, as it is in the area it becomes and pen and if the ref thinks it is a goal scoring opportunity then it is a sending off too. Thems the laws of the game, a keeper used to be able to pick it up from a back pass but now they can't. FIFA could change it so that you have to wear silly hats next season.

If the ref saw it as a foul then he did what he thought was right, I'm sick of people getting at refs and linesmen after the benefit of slo-mo replays from 17 angles when the bloke in the middle gets one view at full speed with possibly other players in his way, we all make mistakes why should we expect another human to be any different.

Would be a good idea to change the laws about appeals though for the cases where there is clear evidence that a ref got it wrong but this might set a precedent that all decisions would be referred and we would get the results a few days after the final whistle goes.

I was reading something the other day that said there is no "got the ball" defence anymore so if the ref saw it that way then he made contact with the man from the side/back and he has to give a foul, as it is in the area it becomes and pen and if the ref thinks it is a goal scoring opportunity then it is a sending off too. Thems the laws of the game, a keeper used to be able to pick it up from a back pass but now they can't. FIFA could change it so that you have to wear silly hats next season.

If the ref saw it as a foul then he did what he thought was right, I'm sick of people getting at refs and linesmen after the benefit of slo-mo replays from 17 angles when the bloke in the middle gets one view at full speed with possibly other players in his way, we all make mistakes why should we expect another human to be any different.

Would be a good idea to change the laws about appeals though for the cases where there is clear evidence that a ref got it wrong but this might set a precedent that all decisions would be referred and we would get the results a few days after the final whistle goes.

They could maybe do what they do in tennis and i think i remember seeing it during the Windies v England test. A team have a certain amount of challenges they can make in a game. For instance you can have two per match or something. Teams would only use them for the big decisions so the game would still flow exactly the same, and the appealed decisons are referred to a 4th official. That way games are decided on the day.

To be honest i think it would take away the fun of the game. Half to enjoyment of watching football is discussing over a pint or two whether or not it was onside/offiside/a penalty etc.