A Younger hungrier side.

While I agree with much said in the OP, i think we shouldnt be too cynical about the old players. I dont buy into this "oh I am going to not play properly because if we get promoted I wont get a game". Even if they dont get a game for the team they help get promoted that season they are more than likely going to fix themselves up with another club with a promotion on there CV.

Thank you. I cannot believe this old crap gets trotted out, and often by people who are usually more sensible. What would a players agent advise them to do - play :censored: so that your club stays down, you'll earn more that way? It beggars belief. Just supposing the player is out of contract, which would you rather be - one who was a part of a promotion winning side last season, or one not offered a contract because you weren't good enough to get promotion with the previous team last year?

Thank you. I cannot believe this old crap gets trotted out, and often by people who are usually more sensible. What would a players agent advise them to do - play :censored: so that your club stays down, you'll earn more that way? It beggars belief. Just supposing the player is out of contract, which would you rather be - one who was a part of a promotion winning side last season, or one not offered a contract because you weren't good enough to get promotion with the previous team last year?

Not to mention the self-pride and natural will to win in people - particularly those who have shown enough of it to become pro footballers!

There has been a thread on this bizzare notion before.

Not to mention the self-pride and natural will to win in people - particularly those who have shown enough of it to become pro footballers!

I know, it's got my goat before. I wonder if anyone on our released list thought that they would rather be there rather than hoping to get a contract as a fringe player in the Championship, or looking a lot more attractive to third division clubs than they do now? It's really a bollocks argument.Even the likes of Lids and Gregan, who would probably know they aren't likely to go back up a division, if they play on they more than anyone were staking a claim about what they could still do.

Although I agree with what is being said regarding what players would prefer to happen, I think a fair few players put personal safety (regarding their career) way ahead of self-pride or natural will to win this season.

Although I agree with what is being said regarding what players would prefer to happen, I think a fair few players put personal safety (regarding their career) way ahead of self-pride or natural will to win this season.

I see your point......but doesn't that then harm their career? :unsure:

I see your point......but doesn't that then harm their career? :unsure:

Yes. If you are playing for your place in next years squad in front of next years manager. Sadly, that was not the case for the better part of six months and the players knew it. I could be completely wrong though - but I saw a complete lack of effort and commitment and can't think of many other reasons for it.

I know, it's got my goat before. I wonder if anyone on our released list thought that they would rather be there rather than hoping to get a contract as a fringe player in the Championship, or looking a lot more attractive to third division clubs than they do now? It's really a bollocks argument.Even the likes of Lids and Gregan, who would probably know they aren't likely to go back up a division, if they play on they more than anyone were staking a claim about what they could still do.

I can see your point with this and it is valid but its much harder for a player looking for a club at 35-36 than it is if they are younger Mark Allot wanted the security of a two year deal I don't blame him for this one bit. I'd be surprised if it didn't play on the minds of players when they are approaching the end of their contracts toward the end of the season knowing you would have to look for another club to play for if you go up, or even if you stay down it must put you under added pressure, lets not forget players at this level are more than likely going to have to find employment once they retire so the pressure to get as much money out of their football career is greater.

The main point I was making was that if we build a side who's core will peak in about 3 years time these guys will share the vision that the club is trying to achieve, and are more likely to be looking forwards with confidence rather than worry.