Ah, well. We all see things differently.

I like Alfie, I think he has alot to his game and would make the step up into our front line quite easily.

It could be that the games I've seen have been his better ones, but I have little more to go on.

(that Will whatsermacallit, that they have in midfield - who we released as a kid- looks decent as well, but i believe he's had attention from higher ups).

As has been said, I highly doubt this.... I havent seen anything in Le Fondre to say he is any better than a Wolfy or Smalley or even Brooke...*

Plus - Penney is well known for looking to create big powerful sides... I highly doubt adding another striker that would look happy in a U-11's girls team would be in his plans.

*Sure Rocky will be along to tell me different though :wink:

Tbh, In terms of strikers.... the only two I would take in the whole of League 2 are Abbott and Dagnall.

The rest just look abysmal. Even the much hyped Bishop was on a one man mission to deny Bury thier rightful place in the playoff final. His ability to miss an open net truly staggered me.

For me the step up for league 2 strikers is the toughest in terms of position. Defenders and midfielders can get by through being big grafters... up front you need a bit of quality, and that is missing from the forwards of league 2. Even in our league, if you have a good front two you can play any old dossers behind them and get success.

Tbh, In terms of strikers.... the only two I would take in the whole of League 2 are Abbott and Dagnall.

The rest just look abysmal. Even the much hyped Bishop was on a one man mission to deny Bury thier rightful place in the playoff final. His ability to miss an open net truly staggered me.

For me the step up for league 2 strikers is the toughest in terms of position. Defenders and midfielders can get by through being big grafters... up front you need a bit of quality, and that is missing from the forwards of league 2. Even in our league, if you have a good front two you can play any old dossers behind them and get success.

I'd not take Dagnall, due to injuries rather than ability.

I'd have Grant Holt in a flash, except for the price and the wages. As mentioned i'd take Alfie. Simeon Jackson is probably out of our range, with the promotion and all. Reuben Reid is a big lad with a bit of talent. I'd probably have him.

Other positions I've thought looked alright in games I've seen are Ismael (?) Yakubu at Barnet, and Andrew Crofts at Gillingham and now Wrexham. I'm guessing if he is out on loan to the non-league that things haven't progressed too well though.

Porter (Bury), Beckett (Chester and Chesterfield), Maclean, Mackail Smith, Hayes (Played for Scunny in League 2 in his first spell there), Eastwood, Platt, Lambert shall I go on mate? I think you're being a bit harsh and most strikers in League 2 have generally been at a higher level as kids.

As for Le Fondre, completely agree - he's gash. As for Dagnall, yes please - a right pain in the arse to play against. The lad Feeney at Bournemouth looks a prospect, I mean how the hell do these other clubs unearth these gems and we get Ryan Sugden and the Wolfy's of this world!?

I'd not take Dagnall, due to injuries rather than ability.

I'd have Grant Holt in a flash, except for the price and the wages. As mentioned i'd take Alfie. Simeon Jackson is probably out of our range, with the promotion and all. Reuben Reid is a big lad with a bit of talent. I'd probably have him.

Other positions I've thought looked alright in games I've seen are Ismael (?) Yakubu at Barnet, and Andrew Crofts at Gillingham and now Wrexham. I'm guessing if he is out on loan to the non-league that things haven't progressed too well though.

Jackson was gash in League One, although that may be down to his price tag and the fact he was expected to perform miracles in a struggling side whilst still finding his feet in League Football, I'll be watching him with interest next season. The Gills outstanding player was Barcham - I think he was on loan from Spurs. Wouldn't be surprised if Maher ended up back at the Gills as Stimson was very keen on him last summer.

Porter (Bury), Beckett (Chester and Chesterfield), Maclean, Mackail Smith, Hayes (Played for Scunny in League 2 in his first spell there), Eastwood, Platt, Lambert shall I go on mate? I think you're being a bit harsh and most strikers in League 2 have generally been at a higher level as kids.

As for Le Fondre, completely agree - he's gash. As for Dagnall, yes please - a right pain in the arse to play against. The lad Feeney at Bournemouth looks a prospect, I mean how the hell do these other clubs unearth these gems and we get Ryan Sugden and the Wolfy's of this world!?

Nah mate - you are missing they key points in my post - te only two I would take at the moment are Dagnall and Abbott... that is no criticism of what has been there before...

From what i have seen this season, League 2 is the worst it has been for a long, long time... with the utter lack of money in football any talent is far out of the range of League 2 - the standard of League 1 has been pretty poor, but League 2 has been nothing short of non-league. Only need to look at the recent play-off games to realise how abysmal the standard was.

You have mentioned P'boro - they prove my point exactly - get a couple of decent strikers and you romp leagues 2 & 1 - theres the trick... but to say there is a richness of talent up top in the league below is very wide of the mark IMO. Defenders and midfielders fair enough... but I'd be spending a hell of a lot of my playing budget on the front two, and then filling all the rest of the position on the conveyer belt of out of contract desperate lower league players...

I agree on Feeney too btw... had forgotten about him... but thats it... Jackson looked handy too, but from what I remmeber Gills were shocking at our level with pretty much the same team so lets see how they make the step up...

Edited by BigfinLatic

I would have a feeling that if Grant Holt came here, he would be the type of player, unfortunately, that would attract very quick attention and become one for our 'boo-boys!

Not the quickest or hardest working of players and i'm not sure many appreciate his 'big lump' like talents - and as has been said, wages would be a major stumbling block.

as for Le Fondre, Dagnell et al........do me a favour!!

Hahahahaha. These rumours get funnier and funnier.

Le Fondre is supposed to be off to Huddersfield for £150,000.

Money we simply cant afford to be splashing around.

Why was he on the bench so much?

He was on the bench a lot because he is lazy and unfit he is good for an hour or 30 mins at the end to grab a goal. Well thats what a dale season ticket holder informs me. He is also very hit and miss, when he can't be bothered he really can't be bothered.

No thank you

There's a few reasons.

Alfie is small. As is Dagnall which means they struggled when they were both upfront (Darlington at home on the sky game the other month is a prime example.). Hilly tended to opt for one or the other to play upfront with one of the big lumps. Thorpe, Jon Shaw, McEvilly.

Hill doesnt know who's the better out of Dagnall and Alfie so constantly changes it.

Be interesting to see whether Alfie is still there next season as Hill has got rid of all the big lumps he played as target men.

Alfie is the type of player. Does nothing for 90 minute's, will get one chance and will stick it away.