ATM Cash Machine

ATM Cash Machines

Advice / Help wanted Please

Anyone else tried to use a Hole in the Wall, money not dispensed but debit show on their bank statement ?

My own bank have tried to reclaim my money but the bank owning the ATM have in their words declined to refund

What apart from kissing goodbye to my cash are my options ?

ATM Cash Machines

Anyone else tried to use a Hole in the Wall, money not dispensed but debit show on their bank statement ?

My own bank have tried to reclaim my money but the bank owning the ATM have in their words declined to refund

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum...e-my-money.html

I think you're only option is to report the incident to the Financial Ombudsman Service who should investigate on your behalf. Sorry to say, I think you'll be lucky to see the money again, though.

FOS Link

The thread I just linked to suggests that you're better going to the county courts, as the FOS are not really equipped to deal with these things.

It also says that the bank you used the machine at will usually take a week or so to audit the machine, and if it's got more money than it should have in it then they can give it to your bank (I assume this is why you've been told to wait a while) who can then give it you.

You might get it, you might not. But at least there seems to be a precident which should help.

Let us know how you get on mate.

The thread I just linked to suggests that you're better going to the county courts, as the FOS are not really equipped to deal with these things.

It also says that the bank you used the machine at will usually take a week or so to audit the machine, and if it's got more money than it should have in it then they can give it to your bank (I assume this is why you've been told to wait a while) who can then give it you.

You might get it, you might not. But at least there seems to be a precident which should help.

Let us know how you get on mate.

You'll get nowhere with a county court, unless the audit shows the machine's up and they haven't given the money back, which shouldn't happen anyway. Plus, you can't withdraw a sum of money from a cashpoint that would justify paying a solicitor's hourly rate.

Reckon we have more chance of promotion next season than I have of getting my money back

Am I allowed to name and shame if I do not get my money back

Thanks to you all

As long as you don't slander them you can say what you want matey! :)

Name the bank that your account is with and the company that operate the ATM.

What actually happened? Other than not dispensing cash, how did the machine behave?

The amount will also be handy to know too.

How quickly was the claim declined?

Usual practice is for your bank to contact the ATM bank who need to check two things. (1) the ATM balanced as expected and (2) there is no evidence of an electronic glitch.

While (1) is a good indication point (2) is the key.

ATMs are pretty damned relaible but errors do happen in a tiny minority of cases.

It costs a bank around £500 to take a claim to the Ombudsman. If you can build a case that something went wrong with the machine, it might be in their interests to settle for the amount of cash that wasn't dispensed.

Feel free to PM me.

It costs a bank around £500 to take a claim to the Ombudsman. If you can build a case that something went wrong with the machine, it might be in their interests to settle for the amount of cash that wasn't dispensed.

Feel free to PM me.

I wouldnt PM you, cos ive never seen a ATM give out 500notes so whatever he was given it would be best taking it down that road

Edited by Tindall

ATM Cash Machines

I would have thought that this would be similar to withdrawing cash but not taking it out in time and it goes back in???

During one drunken stupor i actually did this, and called the bank and they investigated. They told me that if that was the case then the ATM would have X amount extra in there, and once they can verify my claim, they would refund the money to my account within 21 days. It took less time than that in the end and got all the money back no worries.

I wouldnt be too sceptical not getting it back. I personally think your chances are quite high.

Edited by Killens_physio

Something similar happened to me at Manchester Airport. Picture the scene, we decide to have a pre-flight beverage so I decide to withdraw some money with my Abbey Card from a woolwich cash machine. It's about 8am, stick the card in, select the amount I want the machine begins to count the money at that split second the machine switches itself off and reboots. Keeping both my card and cash! (Luckily I had already bought my cash and travellers cheques for the trip and had more than one account in case of emergency) So what do I do now, well I waited for the machine to reboot itself but no card or cash was forthcoming, I knew the airport staff wouldn't have a clue so I rang telephone banking, I was at least able to cancel my card and inform them that no money was dispensed (I think it was about £50) I could at least board my plane knowing that I had cancelled the card and that a new one would be at the branch on my return.

Whilst away I checked my balance and noticed the £50 had been debited, when I returned from holiday I went in the branch again explained the situation and within a few days the money had gone back into my account.

Almost the same thing happened a couple of years later, I put my card, this time into this time an Abbey machine and again before i did anything the bugger rebooted keeping my card. Now before you all take the piss and say that's what happens when you have nowt in your account it was their machine not my card and there were plenty of funds there. Due to their crap technology I had to wait two weeks for a replacement card, you don't realise just how much you rely on your debit card or the convenience of it.

Has anyone else experienced the same instance of an ATM rebooting at an inconvenient moment?

Edited by oafcprozac

Has anyone else experienced the same instance of an ATM rebooting at an inconvenient moment?

MK away at the Hockey Stadium. My mate went to the cash machine, ironically an Abbey and once he'd stuck the pin in and selected his amount it switched off. The building seemed to be some sort of Abbey HQ but the whole place was shut so he had no chance of getting it back.

Being the good mate I am, I paid him in. He'd have been a bit stuck had he been on his own though.

was in germany a couple of years ago.put my credit card in to get cash,screen says i cannot have amount requested as it it over the daily limit(it was only 200 euros i asked for) .rejected my request and give me back my card.no slip was given though i asked for one.

went to another atm ,asked for 200 euros and got it straight away.

next statement comes,with the first attempted transaction debited.

phoned to complain that it never happened.after about 4 weeks,the credit card company refunded the payment.

then...another 4 or so weeks later,debited it again,saying that the refund was an error and the bank in germany had supplied evidence that i received cash.explained that i couldn't have,because 2 mins later i got same amount from another atm,so this would have taken me over the daily withdrawing allowance -the second request would have been refused.

the credit card company said,no,we have the evidence,we have now withdrawn the cash from your account.

if you want to complain ya de da etc-absolute waste of time.

it basically went down to my word against them,i couldn't prove anything as no slip was issued,even though i asked for one.so,it was a huge german bank's word against lickle me.

decided it wasn't worth the stress(i was ill then).

i dumped the credit card company about 2 months after this-was with them for 11 years.

they asked why.."look at my recent problem with you and guess".

cut the card up and told them to close the account.

this was about 18 months ago.

LAST WEEK ,they "congratulated" me on me receiving my new brand new shiny card with an increased credit rate!!

they never even shut it down in the first place-they had an habit of not sending you a statement if you don't owe anything.phoned them to explain why the new card was in shreds already.

useless...hint.stay away from capital one.

my advise..complain as many times as you feel its worth the aggro...but depending on your banks attitude and any evidence you may have or not have,it might not be worth the grief in the end.

ask the ombudsmen..but don't think they will sort it.banks and credit card companies will go through all these scenarios before making their decision to you,they will cover themselves.

in the end,atm's are brilliant.but they don't always work 100% correct..but the banks like to think differently.

ask the ombudsmen..but don't think they will sort it.banks and credit card companies will go through all these scenarios before making their decision to you,they will cover themselves.

in the end,atm's are brilliant.but they don't always work 100% correct..but the banks like to think differently.

During that 19 years that I worked in a bank branch, I dealt with several complaints regarding ATMs.

The audit roll within the machine will usually confirm if there was any sort of mechanical failure at the time of the transaction (they do reboot themselves occasionally!) or if any notes got stuck in the rollers within the machine (although when this happens the account is usually corrected there and then).

The machines are also balanced regularly - so the bank can see if the machine has dispensed less than it thinks (although there is also the risk that somebody else has received more than they should have, so this is less conclusive).

Anyway, during those 19 years I only ever had one case where the machine's audit log/balance didn't confirm the customer had a problem. It was a relatively small amount for a decent customer so I reimbursed and followed the bank's policy of putting a marker on the account that said what had happened (this was intended to stop multiple claims of "the machine didn't pay out").

The bank should, in the overwhelming number of cases, be able to tell the truth.

If they can't, they have the option of taking a loss and making a goodwill payment to the customer as happened above.

As I posted the other day, if you aren't happy with their decision you have the option of going the the Ombudsman. While this doesn't guarantee victory, it does leave the bank with a £500 bill. In other words, it's cheaper for them to settle with you.

ATMs are extraordinarily reliable but they are not perfect. But even if the bank don't know exactly what's happened, they can tell if something strange happened at the time of the transaction. And if it had, the one I worked for paid out.

Last thought - use your own bank's cash machine whenever possible. It makes life a lot easier when something like this happens, or your card gets swallowed!

Edited by opinions4u

Yes, I once had to explain this rebooting scenario to a shady character who wanted his cash. It was almost as inconvenient as the time I ran out of fuel but managed to roll about 2 miles to the 24hour Shell petrol station at Waterhead......only to discover it closed, the only time I have known it to be in about 10 years! I'm particularly prone to these quirky inconveniences.

Incidentally I think that cash machine is also an Abbey (the one at Shell).

Reckon we have more chance of promotion next season than I have of getting my money back

Am I allowed to name and shame if I do not get my money back

Thanks to you all

Got my cash back after a month and a day

Roll on next season