Latics miss out on central midfielder

Have you actually seen the quote from the manager????

"Bosh is good enough and young enough to play a part with the better players around him." So he's basically saying that Bosh is one of the worst players in one of the worst teams in the Football League!!!

Bosh's response

"This club is going places under Mike Newell and I was happy to sign again. He gives you confidence to just go out and play." Maybe thats a new way of raising someone's confidence, by telling them that they are not as good as the players around them....

Edited by slurms mckenzie

Still haven't forgotten his interview in the Oldham Comical whilst still a reserve player and how he was just as good as Shez!!!

Shocked he's still playing in the Football League myself. Makes Richard Butcher look like a tough tackling central midfielder.

Edited by Butter

Doesn't look like it did...anyway it was an article in the MEN from Carl marsden in 2004 on our 'longest serving player'..

Anyway, this is what was said/reported.

"HE MAY be Latics' longest-serving player but Danny Boshell readily admits he still has plenty to prove.

The Bradford-born midfielder was handed another 12-month contract this summer and is enjoying a fine run of form as he bids to earn another deal with the club he joined aged nine.

He said: "This is a very important season for me and it has started quite well but I know I must keep in the side and keep performing consistently.

"Promotion to the Championship is the goal for us all but it would also obviously enhance my chances of a new deal."

The 23-year-old has been at Boundary Park since joining the club's school of excellence but a promising career has been dogged by misfortune and injuries.

Boshell finally re-established himself in the side last season, making 20 starts and six substitute appearances having played just twice the previous term.

But typical of his luck he tore medial knee ligaments just three games into Brian Talbot's reign and was left sweating on his future.

He said: "I was injured just days after he arrived and there was nothing more I could do.

"It was good of him to have kept me on as he had not seen an awful lot of me in action.

"I had been playing quite well under John Sheridan prior to that and certainly didn't want to leave."

As a maturing Boshell rose through the ranks, some had likened him to Sheridan ' a comparison he did not fully appreciate.

He said: "It's flattering to be mentioned in the same breath as John but I think it almost made me try and play like him at times.

"He used to play a bit deeper than myself and I am a different player in many respects.

"I have scored once this season but I know goalscoring is something I need to improve in my game.

"And if I can stay injury-free I hope Latics fans will finally see the best of me this season."

Edited by futchers briefs

Despite being a right old soft arse 'Da Bosh' was a half-decent passing midfielder. The highlight of his Latics career for mme was the two games vs Grimsby in 03/04 he followed up a MOM performance in the 3-3 draw on Boxing Day with a super show in the 6-0 return fixture. Unfortunately he never did quite hit the heights but under Sheridan's temporary stewardship after Dowie's departure he came on leaps and bounds. Perhaps if Shez had got the job permanently in 2004 we may well have seen Bosh continue to progress as Shez obviously had faith in him. Having said that Shez had faith in Allott, Whitaker etc.. but it was also no coincidence that Scott Vernon also enjoyed his most productive spell under Shez.

Despite being a right old soft arse 'Da Bosh' was a half-decent passing midfielder. The highlight of his Latics career for mme was the two games vs Grimsby in 03/04 he followed up a MOM performance in the 3-3 draw on Boxing Day with a super show in the 6-0 return fixture. Unfortunately he never did quite hit the heights but under Sheridan's temporary stewardship after Dowie's departure he came on leaps and bounds. Perhaps if Shez had got the job permanently in 2004 we may well have seen Bosh continue to progress as Shez obviously had faith in him. Having said that Shez had faith in Allott, Whitaker etc.. but it was also no coincidence that Scott Vernon also enjoyed his most productive spell under Shez.

Interesting that his two finest moments were against the team he now plays for - I wonder how often a player is bought because of exactly that? '

Grimsby obviously took note.

I agree that he was a 'half decent' sort of player - so many of them around who don't quite step up to the next level but earn a living in the lower leagues. Nice one Danny. <_<