Sunderland to send strong reserve team ?

Controversial new equation;

Eyres + ball at feet tricky wing wizard scores goals played like he meant it + loves it = Legend.

Incontrevertable proof that David Eyres' talents have made him a legend.

Eyres + ball at feet tricky wing wizard scores goals played like he meant it + loves it = GOOD PLAYER!

Legend???? not for me, I think because we have had our fair share of average to poor players in the past when we get a good one like Eyres he becomes a legend with the younger/Disillusioned fans and really the word isn’t appropriate.

A legend should be a player who's been evaluated over 10-20-30-40 years or more with other players and made a real difference in a monumental time in the clubs history and had spent some quality and quantity time at the club.

Eyres doesn't even come close to legend status IMO.

Eyres + ball at feet tricky wing wizard scores goals played like he meant it + loves it = GOOD PLAYER!

Legend???? not for me, I think because we have had our fair share of average to poor players in the past when we get a good one like Eyres he becomes a legend with the younger/Disillusioned fans and really the word isn’t appropriate.

A legend should be a player who's been evaluated over 10-20-30-40 years or more with other players and made a real difference in a monumental time in the clubs history and had spent some quality and quantity time at the club.

So in short, we are very unlikely to have a legend at this club ever again due to the shortness of contracts/freedom of movement (which will only get shorter)?

Legend???? not for me, I think because we have had our fair share of average to poor players in the past when we get a good one like Eyres he becomes a legend with the younger/Disillusioned fans and really the word isn't appropriate.

Neither myself nor De_La_Vega are what you'd call young or disillusioned.

Eyres spent 6 years here and made a real difference in a monumental time in the club's history.

Latics fans will fondly remember Eyres for years to come. Definite Latics legend.

Out of interest, who qualifies in your opinion?

Eyres and the mighty leader that was Paul Murray (hallowed be his name) are surely both legends due to providing consistent quality over a number of years, providing memorable moments and giving everything to win over the fans. Both seemed to love it at Latics, which goes a long way too.

I'm not too daft - Tony Carss came in at the same time as the silver fox, but he'll never be a legend despite giving excellent service and a sensational goal against (I think) Bristol City. Eyres had a quality and excitement factor about his play which set him apart - maybe it is just because he's a winger? Who knows? All I know is that in my eyes the salt & pepper wing commander is a legend!

Out of interest, who qualifies in your opinion?

My first Game watching latics was 87 so the only one legend for me in my time so far is stitch maybe palmer for number of goals ect

I am not saying there hasnt been important players or special ones but I find it hard to associate David Eyres in the same league or terminology as legend compared to Ritchie.

If Eyres is a legend then Ritchie is a god.

Legend status IMO is banded about to freely and this is the case for Eyres, good player excellent professional, Legend for Oldham Athletic leaving his mark on the clubs history or fans forever?

I think not.

My first Game watching latics was 87

Same here.

I'm cool with that.

Eyres, good player excellent professional, Legend for Oldham Athletic leaving his mark on the clubs history or fans forever?

Absolutely.

He played a massive part in getting the club through arguably its most difficult time, and then another huge part in the "New Dawn". He might not have been part of a "successful" side, but he gave numerous stellar performances, looked a cut above most of the division even in his late 30s, played with his heart on his sleeve and a smile on his face, and provided Latics fans with some much needed joy. L-E-G-E-N-D.

I do actually agree wholeheartedly with your assertion that "legend" is bandied around too freely; indeed, I'm usually the first to play down past and present players. But in this case I'll stick my neck out and say that David Eyres will be well remembered and regarded by Oldham Athletic fans for many, many years.

Yes. Thats correct yes Eyrsie is a legend and Andy Ritchie can be qualified as a god Eyres is one of only 2 players who qualify for the term Legend in the last 15 years of playing for us, the other being John Sheridan (ended badly yes but given the service he gave us I think legend status should be awarded) Andy Ritchie is a god because he can qualify as our best ever player. So in cocnclusion Nail hit firmly on the head.