Sunderland to send strong reserve team ?

According to the link below Sunderland are to send a strong reserve team to BP for the pre season friendly as the first team squad are involved in the Amsterdam Tournament.

What a let down for Latics fans ?

Sunderland

Unless we want to sign a couple..? Although I suppose we woudl have hoped to have signe dmost by then I suppose!.

Was anyone expecting the first team to show up?

I might have been before I realised that the Amsterdam tournament was going on at the same time. Its probably a better test for us anyway as towards the start of the season fixtures are supposed to be competitive and I think Sunderland's reserves might give us better preparation than sunderland's firsts. Will probably be two quite evenly matched sides and as someone pointed out Sunderland may have some players we could sign (probably on loan).

All day on the Witch's Brew (Sam Smith's) tends to get me a little :ranting:

£1.52 a pint at Sinclairs will do it. This was already the worst timed friendly ever and to then admit they're sending the ressies will have killed it.

£1.52 a pint at Sinclairs will do it. This was already the worst timed friendly ever and to then admit they're sending the ressies will have killed it.

They'll be lucky to get a thousand through the gates. Watching the modern duck eggs or Legends like Stitch and Eyresy :mmm:

They'll be lucky to get a thousand through the gates. Watching the modern duck eggs or Legends like Stitch and Eyresy :mmm:

and ronnie moore says we live in the past......i just dont get it.

why is eyersy considered a legend when he achieved no more success than the current "duck eggs" with us

why is eyersy considered a legend when he achieved no more success than the current "duck eggs" with us

Honest as the day's long (not bad for a Scouser!), put a smile on everyone's face, looked like he gave a :censored: - the quintessential "fans' player".

Honest as the day's long (not bad for a Scouser!), put a smile on everyone's face, looked like he gave a :censored: - the quintessential "fans' player".

hughes put a smile on my face when here, but he is not considered a legend

warne did the same, not a legend.

the term legend is given out way to easy nowadays.

he was Honest as the day's long , put a smile on everyone's face, looked like he gave a :censored: - the quintessential "fans' player"

, so that makes him a good solid pro who enjoyed his time at the club and did his job well.

hughes put a smile on my face when here, but he is not considered a legend

warne did the same, not a legend.

the term legend is given out way to easy nowadays.

he was Honest as the day's long , put a smile on everyone's face, looked like he gave a :censored: - the quintessential "fans' player"

, so that makes him a good solid pro who enjoyed his time at the club and did his job well.

I'll stick my neck out and suggest that most Latics fans thought Hughes to be a bit of a toerag.

Warne lacked the quality to go with the other criteria.

Eyres had it all. Legend.

I'll stick my neck out and suggest that most Latics fans thought Hughes to be a bit of a toerag.

Warne lacked the quality to go with the other criteria.

Eyres had it all. Legend.

mate if he had it all, he would not have been playing at latics at all, never mind into his 40's

i liked him, good solid player with a good left foot, good fitness for his age and was a good servent, thats it

but legend is a stretch

Edited by palmer1

2 things:

Should be a good test this fixture now - Sunderland sending the up & comers plus the want-aways / surplus's - all of them playing for something - to prove they are good enough to make the grade, or a loan move in front of a few scouts, shop window for the others.

I can think of worse pre-season fixtures........

secondly - what a day out last year was at the masters - sunny day drinking outside Sinclairs / Pie Pub, then a mint atmosphere in the M.E.N where; quite frankly, we bossed it on the pitch & in the stands. More of the same this year please!!! :grin:

Hardly a great crowd puller though.

I agree. When the club announced this fixture they made a big deal about it being against Premiership opposition to drum up a bit of interest during the close-season slumber.

Aside from the fact that Sunderland in the first instance aren't a 'big draw' top-flight team, the fact that they're now sending their reserves is very disappointing.

Somehow, I don't think that Latics' management will have known too much about this approach and I'm sure they'll feel as let down as the fans.

Having said that, it seems to me that most people on this forum weren't planning to go anyway, preferring the prospect of an afternoon sup instead.