Macc 1 Latics 2

Brill - Not a great deal to do

Lomax - Tidy

Gregan - Won his headers fell asleep for the goal

Rubs - Accomplished BUT fell asleep for the goal

Jacobson - Superb, ran and tackled all night linked up welll with Taylor

Whitaker - Casper!

Furman - All action, almost sored a beauty.

Worthington - Strong tackling, passing was better

Taylor - Two very good finishes, beginning to look sharp

Pav - Looked much sharper than he has done, hit the post

Kiegan - Ran the channels well, caused problems

Subs:

Rowney - Not as accomplished as other appearances

Stephens - I kid you not! Little impact

Lewi - Poor, had a real chance of scoring. Wussed out.

O'Grady - Put himself about but had little support alongside

Most encouraging is that Furman and Worthy are evolving into an effective partnership. Also Abbott and Parker look like they have the beginnings of a decent partnership, so that's 2 out of 3 of the key partnerships sorted BUT centre-half remains a concern.

The defence was a majot problem last year and we have only taken one player from it. (jones) and you would say he was the best one out of the lot!

Jacobson seems to be getting good reports though, which is good as he is probably the signing we know least about.

The defence was a majot problem last year and we have only taken one player from it. (jones) and you would say he was the best one out of the lot!

Jacobson seems to be getting good reports though, which is good as he is probably the signing we know least about.

Jones was probably the worst of the lot defensively though, great going forward but allowed too many crosses to come into the box and got caught out positionally time and again not holding the line. Jacobsen looks like a brilliant signing from what i've seen, hopefully we can bring in another cb.

I disagree, I think the midfield was the problem last year and looking at the number of Midfielders signed it looks like DP is rectifying this.

I agree.

I disagree to you agreeing about the disagree,

lol

seriously i think we do need to improve the defence a bit but im sure DP is on it, he has said hes still to bring in another defender, also eards wasnt there tonight and think he can make a difference

Sounds like Eardley is on his way out, i'd like to see Lee given a go there to be honest, from the little i've seen of him he looks a very good footballer, does he have the defensive ability though? He came with the reputation of playing right back, so I think it's worth a shot. I agree last season that the major problem was the midfield, far too much pressure was put on the back four by our inability to hold any sort of posession.

I was really impressed with Jacobson again defened well and got forward plus he has an excellent delivery from a corner. Furman and Worthington looks like a good combination in the centre. Abbott looked good, unlucky with his effort that hit the post before smashing one over the bar from a few yards out.

Parker looked decent and created a couple of chances from running into the channels and looks like we will use that tactic more often this season.

Whittaker was very poor didn't look interested at all and to be honest I dont think he is really up to the standard of league one. Rubes needs to learn from his mistakes as the goal came from another silly free kick he gave away under no pressure, he did this 3 or 4 times in the last couple of months last season and still seems intent on wrapping his arms around the striker.

overall pretty happy with the 1st hour or so. I hope we sort out the defending though as soon as we can.

I am seriously worried about the defence after last night.

Jacobsen looks good but Rubes and Gregan were so deep at times Brill was screaming at them to push out but many a time they were caught napping.

Granted they all need a little match sharpness but I think we need a backup defender to push Rubes and Greegs to perform , Someone to give them the fear of being dropped.

I am seriously worried about the defence after last night.

Jacobsen looks good but Rubes and Gregan were so deep at times Brill was screaming at them to push out but many a time they were caught napping.

Granted they all need a little match sharpness but I think we need a backup defender to push Rubes and Greegs to perform , Someone to give them the fear of being dropped.

I don't want them to be our CB pairing next season. Last season the defending and decision making was awful at times. I think Rubes makes the majority of mistakes but Gregan isn't innocent. Be interesting what happens when we get someone else for that position. NOt sure if Haining is the answer but would like him as backup.