Gregan retains captaincy

Garcon

Hits the nail on the head, Gregan would still walk into most defences in this league

1. Maybe this shows exactly what we should really make of some of last season's allegations?

2. It shows he has successfully come through a very difficult time personally last season (admittedly mostly brought on himself).

3. Oh my! Perish the thought that we have a captain that shouts at his players! What about their feelings, the poor little souls! How awful!

Plus the fact that the defence wasnt helped by our paper thin midfield that never tracked back, which resulted in our defence being overworked most games even when we were in front and should have been comfortable.

Dave Penney has gone about his team rebuilding very shrewdly in my opinion, going of his interview I expect the likes of Whittaker,Smalley,Alessandra,Lomax,Lee, and Stephens to be pressurised into bucking up or leaving. It wouldnt suprise me if Eardley goes to Blackpool which may help us too bring in another centre back and possibly an additional striker.

Things look good so far have to say I am impressed with the work so far, I can see us being harder to beat and not conceding as many stupid goals this year we may well suprise a few teams this season. If Taylor continues his improvement he could well get near 20 goals for us this season.

Garcon

Hits the nail on the head, Gregan would still walk into most defences in this league

Walk being the operative word.

Anyway, how come the lump came back to BP if, as you put it, he could "walk" into most defences. All these clubs had an opportunity to sign him "on the cheap" but he signs for us after a short sabbatical. More likely, the rest of the clubs in this division looked at who they had on their books and decided he wasn't as good.

Also, I don't buy this midfield argument. Season before last we had a defence consisting mainly of Eardley/Hazell/Stam/Bertrand with a midfield of Smalley/Allott/McDonald/Taylor in front of them, hardly a dynamic midfield and quite possibly less aggressive than last season. We had a better goals against ratio than last season without a hard-tackling midfield or a gobby captain. So if you can tell me how Gregan has improved that defence from 2007/8, then I'd rely like to hear it. Because quite simply, in my opinion, he is a disruptive element and does not help to make a cohesive defensive unit.

However, like you, I am impressed with the way Penney has gone about his business. So onwards, and upwards!!!

Edited by mikejh45

I think hes a good captain but hes a bit controversial, will have to make sure hes purely professional this time around, and dave penney should make sure that gregan knows hes got someone he has to answer to

So Gregan had no respect for Sheriden?

So Gregan had no respect for Sheriden?

Did any of the players have any respect for Sheriden ? the way we capitulated later in the season suggests not.

Going back to Gregan,Royle rated him, and Penny says he has been fantastic since he came back he is still a quality player at this level. As for the midfield I stll think that was Sheridans downfall along with all the loan signings and not controlling the players.

Its all about opinions so I guess it will be interesting to see how we do this year, but it is interesting that Penney has recruited a number of midfielders and a left back. And obviously didnt fancy Allott who has probably gone a season to far at this level.

Did any of the players have any respect for Sheriden ? the way we capitulated later in the season suggests not.

Going back to Gregan,Royle rated him, and Penny says he has been fantastic since he came back he is still a quality player at this level. As for the midfield I stll think that was Sheridans downfall along with all the loan signings and not controlling the players.

Its all about opinions so I guess it will be interesting to see how we do this year, but it is interesting that Penney has recruited a number of midfielders and a left back. And obviously didnt fancy Allott who has probably gone a season to far at this level.

Did any players respect Royle? I guess not.

The fact is, players are like kids and will take the piss as much as they can. Once Sheridan had lost the board he had no chance as the players did what they wanted. They knew Royle wasn't stopping so did what they wanted. It's about backing from above (not in money, but in actions), something I think Sheridan lacked and Royle never wanted.

Did any players respect Royle? I guess not.

The fact is, players are like kids and will take the piss as much as they can. Once Sheridan had lost the board he had no chance as the players did what they wanted. They knew Royle wasn't stopping so did what they wanted. It's about backing from above (not in money, but in actions), something I think Sheridan lacked and Royle never wanted.

Agree with some of what you say!!! I think under Royle we had some moments of exciting football. If he had more matches I think he might have made a difference but I think he hit a wall of poor attitude and realised quite early in this stint that we weren't going up and a mass clear out was required.

i knew this would happen as soon as he re-signed. i think its a mistake too, because i reckon he would continue to 'cajole' everyone along even if he wasnt captain. also means we will probably be changing the captain next season, to me it would have made more sense to do it now. but im not the manager.