CB's coming through the ranks

How come we don't have any or is simply that we have chosen to just sell them? i.e. Micah and Trotman

Do we have some decent young CB's but are nowhere near ready to step up?

We seem to have players in every position that have come through the youth/reserve team and made the step up to the first team.

Is this a position that has been ignored by the those in charge? Is it a problem position (i.e. not many youngsters like playing there these days)?

Just pondering the reasons behind our current defensive situation.....

How come we don't have any or is simply that we have chosen to just sell them? i.e. Micah and Trotman

We seem to have players in every position that have come through the youth/reserve team and made the step up to the first team.

Is this a position that has been ignored by the those in charge? Is it a problem position (i.e. not many youngsters like playing there these days)?

You can hardly say that we chose to sell Micah. He was blatantly poached by Man C. He obviously showed potential, but lots of kids at the age he was show potential. Therefore it was a good deal for us as it happens. The vast majority of these players just fall by the wayside

I've also been thinking the same thing for a while now, i don't get to see the reserves much or youth matches but i can't honestly recall anyone in that position who is anywhere near the first team.In that case we are woefully short of central defenders.

Like goalkeepers, it's pretty rare to have youth centre-halves coming into 1st teams in general though isn't it? Even the best defenders in the world rarely play at the top from day 1. It would be nice to have some worthy of going out on loan into the conference until they mature though.

Like goalkeepers, it's pretty rare to have youth centre-halves coming into 1st teams in general though isn't it? Even the best defenders in the world rarely play at the top from day 1. It would be nice to have some worthy of going out on loan into the conference until they mature though.

I thought that Flynn did well as did Futcher (pity we didn't keep him). We have that lad from Radcliffe Borough I think..forgot his name, he looked a good prospect. We really need a competetive reserve league... I remember the Northern Premier League well where our stiffs played against good amateur teams. Well worth watching.

There's been a couple over the last few years who have been decent enough centre backs but lack the height and physical aspect to make the step up to first team level.

If you look at the ones who have been on our books and the ones we've taken on who have done well they've been tall and strong at a young age. If you haven't got that by 19 when you're looking for a pro deal, you're on your way out.

I've also been thinking the same thing for a while now, i don't get to see the reserves much or youth matches but i can't honestly recall anyone in that position who is anywhere near the first team.In that case we are woefully short of central defenders.

Recent times has seen Will Haining & Danny Hall come through the youth into the 1st team; as well as the obvious Trotman example.

CB is a very difficult position to play in; so much hinges on it; and so much of the actual learning to play the position comes from getting games & building up experience over the years. Young CB's who are ready for top level football at 18/19 years of age are few & far between.

We have Dawson & Esquaine-Biney (spl i know!) in the youth team who both play in the CB postion. Both look talents; but both are still too young & too inexperienced to make the step up this season IMO. However, a full season of competitive reserve football this season will do them the power of good.

If we get a young (ish) CB in loan, they are going to be on the raw side - remember Ben Turner from Cov; sent off in his 1st game? he is now 1st choice CB for Cov in the championship....they get better with games in the main. If we bring a kid in; we have to expect that they will be far, far from the finished article.

Edited by slystallone

A combo of all 3 names, just like the youth team reports do every week!

From what I can gather it is Laquan Esdaile-Biney. Or Laqan-Esdaile. Sometime Biney Esdaille. Depends which report you have read :lol:

Laquan Esdaile in tonight's Chron, so that must be right :)

BTW Whatever happened to Danny Knight ?

Laquan Esdaile in tonight's Chron, so that must be right :)

BTW Whatever happened to Danny Knight ?

In America. Only know this as the lad featured in this story knows a mate of mine.

See here

His teammates are from all over the world, but half the squad are English, including former Latics’ youth players Jack Fitzgerald and Dan Knight.