One or two worries..

CB – Gregan and Hazell have a good understanding (most of the time) and are solid but struggle against pace.

I couldn't disagree more. I've got quite a few criticisms of Gregan but one of the least criticisims I have is about pace. Yeah, he's slowed down but I think he showed against Leicesters pacey strikeforce he just about kept up.

The understanding you talk about, I don't see at all. They don't defend as a unit, rarely talk and they look like two very individual players. And our biggest single problem is the high ball in. Everyone loves Gregan steaming out from the box and heading it high into the blue sky...problem is, 9 times out of 10 it lands to a defender and comes right back. That is not good defending. Looks great, it isn't though.

Worst still, when a cross from the wing comes in both Gregan and Hazell often look suspect. I'd wage that a good percent of goals come from a winger crossing it in, rather than a pass and move or threaded ball in...either we badly clear it (last night) or we don't clear at all and gift free header after free header. I know we're in League One...and we forever will be with the silly goals we cost ourselves...we truly do beat ourselves more than an opposition beats us. It pissed me right off last season...I'd look at games we lost and think, they were no better than us, we just gifted stupid goals again. So that's why it doesn't wash when ppl say that's what ya get from a League One defender...if so...it isn't good enough if we want to go higher. And the most frustrating thing....I actually feel Gregan can do better. Can play more intelligently...you don't lose intelligence when other age-worn abilities let you down. And so that's why I get pissed off with him more than Hazell!

I'm sorry, this is Bobbins, and a typical knee-jerk reaction without knowing the players at our disposal... admittedly some of your statements are because of injuries, but a lot are blatantly wrong... when we get the players back who are injured we will have options...

At the risk of sounding pessimistic I would outline our problems from what I have watched so far (and a comparison to when we looked like beating anyone last season when? the first 6 games before Sheridans ability to utterly mis-manage a squad kicked in?) as being: (In my humble opinion of course).

GK – Brill = Not as good as Fleming ... Ok Fair enough

LB – No settled left back (as with last year other than a few games in D Jones first spell). Joe Jacobsen. He is injured

RB – Have yet to replace Eardley as despite what the boo boys will tell you, he was a class player who was also capable of chipping a few goals in. Holdsworth - Who is currently in midfield due to injuries

CB – Gregan and Hazell have a good understanding (most of the time) and are solid but struggle against pace. Also if one of those two is injured or suspended we don’t look to have any cover what so ever, this could also lead to them becoming complacent if they don’t have a position to fight for. fair Enough

LM – Taylor struggling with an injury so yet to produce the form he showed last year. Hopefully when his leg is sorted he will fulfil the ability he undoubtedly has. Fair enough

RM – No real width (as mentioned earlier) ideally a flyer like Taylor on the right would be brought in. failing that a fit Dean Smalley would be more than capable of filling the role and giving us another outlet. Exactly - because of injuries again... Purdie and Smalley is enough options for a team as big as us...

CM – A Wellens/Kilkenny playmaker was what we really lacked last year. Whitaker is a decent player but no where near the standard of the aforementioned. Furman has looked really good so far but could do with a few more options in midfield. Also I think we might miss Allott’s work rate. Are you mad? Work rate.. WORK RATE! My god, there is more work rate in both Furman and Worthy's little toe than an entire season of Ratters. This fable need for a mifield playmaker is bollocks - how many teams at out level have one... but that is an old topic...

CF – Abbot looks like a real goal scorer, however doesn’t look as good as Lee Hughes Totally different type of players. It is wrong to compare hughes to Abbott. Hughes would have been perfect to play off abbott...

CF – Parker doesn’t look brilliant and often looks a little lazy. Ok that is spot on... :wink:

That said it is early days and hopefully the best is yet to come with the squad gelling and people finding their feet, but at the moment I don’t see the side as anywhere near as good as they were last year.

Edited by BigfinLatic

I'm sorry, this is Bobbins, and a typical knee-jerk reaction without knowing the players at our disposal... admittedly some of your statements are because of injuries, but a lot are blatantly wrong... when we get the players back who are injured we will have options...

"This fable need for a mifield playmaker is bollocks - how many teams at out level have one"

Arguably the ones that get up out of this level! :wink:

Worst still, when a cross from the wing comes in both Gregan and Hazell often look suspect. I'd wage that a good percent of goals come from a winger crossing it in, rather than a pass and move or threaded ball in...either we badly clear it (last night) or we don't clear at all and gift free header after free header. I know we're in League One...and we forever will be with the silly goals we cost ourselves...we truly do beat ourselves more than an opposition beats us.

A good assessment of a long standing problem, however another factor is the supply has invariably not been stopped by the Latics full backs, stop the crosses and the centre backs and goalkeeper will have less to be concerned about.

Edited by BP1960

A good assessment of a long standing problem, however another factor is the supply has invariably not been stopped by the Latics full backs, stop the crosses and the centre backs and goalkeeper will have less to be concerned about.

Another way to look at it is that they had a clear game plan and very good players to carry it out. Their No 20 was lightening quick and had a deadly cross on him, and they knew to get into the box to get on the end of it. As it happens my Palace supporting colleague who, although a right tool, really does know his football down to many none league levels round here, has been spitting feathers about them failing to keep Martin on after Millwall let them have a look at him.

Edited by leeslover