One or two worries..

Is Furman the creator we were fervently hoping for? The more I see him the more i'm convinced he's a more skilful and assured Worthington type growler. Perhaps we'll see more when we get genuine width in the team - same problems we had under Talbot so far (not a criticism of either BT or DP) but teams without two out and out wingers can't play expansive football, become narrow and the chances and goal dry up.

Hudds are showing the way so far, two out and out wingers and goalscorers galore. Whether teams will get wise to them remains to be seen but Millwall sounded like they were there for the taking and for the third time this season we've drawn a blank despite having a lot more of the ball.

Is Furman the creator we were fervently hoping for? The more I see him the more i'm convinced he's a more skilful and assured Worthington type growler. Perhaps we'll see more when we get genuine width in the team - same problems we had under Talbot so far (not a criticism of either BT or DP) but teams without two out and out wingers can't play expansive football, become narrow and the chances and goal dry up.

Hudds are showing the way so far, two out and out wingers and goalscorers galore. Whether teams will get wise to them remains to be seen but Millwall sounded like they were there for the taking and for the third time this season we've drawn a blank despite having a lot more of the ball.

Thats a big problem............lack of width!!!

just remember huddersfield have money to spend. we dont. they are alot bigger than us therefore can attract better players

Still doesn't mean that we cant play with width. You play with width you cause problems and create goals.

Playing with width, 2-million pounds worth of new players and against 10-men for over 50 minutes really seems to be the way forward.

Very good result all the same.

So did you go tonight or are you just deciding what he must have looked like?

Playing with width, 2-million pounds worth of new players and against 10-men for over 50 minutes really seems to be the way forward.

Very good result all the same.

Yeah and beat Southampton 3-1 on Saturday, came from 2-0 down at Southend and scored another three against a team we couldn't score againt. So played 4 scored 15 goals. Rhodes was relaltively unproven at our level - they've gambled and he's proving revalation.

Width will be a major problem until we get JJ -Taylor on the left and Holdsworth - Purdie on the right. The width is a worry but it's only down to them being out that we've got this problem. We could say get another winger in but for me a CB is still ultimate priority...another silly gifted 1st goal tonight going off LP commentary. "He's so...macho!"

So did you go tonight or are you just deciding what he must have looked like?

Yeah cos I have a laptop strapped to my arse.

The point is, is he a creative midfielder - I've seen him all through pre-season and v s Stockport, he's a good player, box to box and keeps the ball, possible something in between Allott and Wellens. My point is that if he has been signed to create only scoring one goal in open play in four games is worrying.

If we're just as bad when the width finally arrives then we could be in trouble. On to Swindon - a win and a few goals would be nice!

Edited by oafcprozac

Width will be a major problem until we get JJ -Taylor on the left and Holdsworth - Purdie on the right. The width is a worry but it's only down to them being out that we've got this problem. We could say get another winger in but for me a CB is still ultimate priority...another silly gifted 1st goal tonight going off LP commentary. "He's so...macho!"

It's the lack of creativity in general though, if you don't make chances you can't score goals. Then like you say with Laurel and Hardy at the back we are always likely to concede. So Oldham Nil = Nil point!

Huddersfield may have scored a whole bunch of goals but 5 of today's seven occurred after Brighton's goalie got sent off, most teams are capable of scoring 5 against a team with 10 men, (but many don't) especially against a team playing their second choice goalie who may or may not be that good (remember when our second choice goalie was Budtz). Playing 2 wingers is great for going forward but is not that great defensively- I'd much rather my team won 1-0 than lost/drew and scored 2 or more. Furman doesn't quite look like the midfield playmaker that we need but often such a player is a luxury that you can't afford in this league (how many have we been outmuscled in midfield in the past 3/4 years) and is quite easy to stop I remember Joe shutting us down just simply by marking Shez and a few teams did it with Wellens and such players are not that good usually at the defensive side of the game. From what I've seen of Furman he looks like a very good all round midfielder for this league and he could become our biggest asset (bigger than Taylor if he gets into the SA for the world cup which is a distinct possibility). Yes maybe he hasn't got the skill of Shez (or someone like Wellens) but he's a little better in the tackle than either of them.

I'd rather we won ugly than played nice passing football for 30 minutes but only drew/worse because our playmaker was stopped.

EDIT: Half my original post was really replying to a different topic so I edited it out

Edited by rudemedic

Rhodes was relaltively unproven at our level - they've gambled and he's proving revalation.

They've gambled but are paying a lot more than we could offer him. He was all set for coming to us on a season long loan until Huddersfield came in with a cash offer and more in wages than we could pay.

It's the lack of creativity in general though, if you don't make chances you can't score goals. Then like you say with Laurel and Hardy at the back we are always likely to concede. So Oldham Nil = Nil point!

It's fair comment...I've been thinking away from home might end up being more profitable at present as teams will come to BP and pack in, so we need to stretch them. That's not going to happen without the wings and proved so vs Stockport. Away from home, with more space, I don't think it's as much of a concern. We had a few decent spells at times tonight...altho the game did die out in the last 25mins or so. Millwall were just better once more :censored:e defending (according to LP) led to their goal.

What does concern me greatly that we're possibly going to do the same as last season...conceed through our errors rather than teams open us up. People can say "3 games" but it doesn't wash when it comes to the back 2 pairing....this is the same pairing and it isn't working and never will work consistently. I wouldn't worry about the width and creativity tho until we've seen it with Purdie playing...he's starting to train again now. That will give us more space to open teams at home, whereas away from home we haven't sounded too bad in the last 2 away games anyway.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Huddersfield are shaping up like Joe's Latics are the early 90s.

I wouldn't worry about the width and creativity tho until we've seen it with Purdie playing...he's starting to train again now. That will give us more space to open teams at home, whereas away from home we haven't sounded too bad in the last 2 away games anyway.

I think we also need to consider that as well as Purdie being out, we've had no Smally to provide an outlet on the right and an unfit Taylor who has been less than effective. (And a syou rightly mentioned we are playing without our first choice left back as well).

We've been very unlucky with key injuries so early in the season, and as has been said, I don't think it's time for the cyanide capsules just yet.

Is Furman the creator we were fervently hoping for?

Thats about as far as I got Prozac before I got very, very worried that Furman has been over-hyped into something he is not! When I spoke to a bratfud fan before the season, I asked what type of player Furman is - he said "Well, he will touch the ball more than any other player on the pitch" - exactly what he is, works his socks off, gets involved with play, constantly involved... but midfield creator... nah, no way, never intended to be.

Now, from what I have seen of this midfield I like it. They will never be outworked, and havent been for the first three games. The problems are as has been said on here - outlets. If you outwork the opposition in the midfield and give it simple (heard that one before, somewhere in the early 90's) then this all conquering creative player is not needed... so far we have 1 outlet - Abbott. taylor isawful and off the pace, I have no faith in parker at all... and Purdie and Smalley havent kicked a ball.... we have enough options here, i'm not that worried about our midfield.... and i'm sure with purdie and an in-form taylor/Smalley it will be all good.

I also not worried about our defence like most, i'll have Greegs and Ruubes all day, but that is a seperate arguement, I'm worried about our second striker. It aint Parker. I'm hopeful it may be a fully fit Byfield, but can see a gamble in the loan market before xmas...

Gotta agree on the defender issue. Gregan I thought was totally comfortable and dominated, but one stupid lapse and a silly attempt at a clearance had us. Same with Orient. As Penney says, you've gotta defend at your top of your game cos one slip and it can cost you. But we're not in the EPL. There isn't one defender in this league who doesn't put a foot wrong, and sadly we've made errors at the wrong time.

As for the width, we do miss Smalley or someone who is genuinely comfortable out wide. Saying that, Smalley and Taylor aren't gonna score 10 goals each from that position, and Abbott isn't gonna bag 25+, so I don't see us scoring goals away from home, and when we're conceding daft goals - albeit not many - we're looking at an awful lot of draws - which isn't exactly that bad away from home.

our problems are simple to see the 2 centre halves gregan and hazell are bobbins,if continue to gift teams goals you lose football matches,cost us last season and the same mistakes are happening again,orient saturday and millwalls second last night,i can even go back to the first game last season when hazell did one of his You've been framed moments of skill.

our problems are simple to see the 2 centre halves gregan and hazell are bobbins,if continue to gift teams goals you lose football matches,cost us last season and the same mistakes are happening again,orient saturday and millwalls second last night,i can even go back to the first game last season when hazell did one of his You've been framed moments of skill.

Millwall's second was us getting caught on the break when we were pushed up chasing a game, nothing more or less.

Mr Tulsehill described Furman to me before the game last night as, "a mini Frank Lampard," which would IMO be about right if he scored more goals but worked less hard. He runs around and plays the ball around. He will be very good player for us but his game would benefit hugely right now for more worthwhile options for him to work with.

To be fair there are more than a couple of worries that I'd have about Latics at the minute - quite apart from the horrendous Eardley sale...

Leaving that bone of contention to one side though; if you'd asked opinions and predictions before the season I'd have said that we had a decent squad, but we were short one centre-half. I like elements of Gregan's game, and I love Hazell's attitude and commitment - but they don't make a defensive partnership. I'd argue that Stam was the key to the defence the season that Gregan was injured, which is the last time we looked consistently solid.

:censored:, Byfield and Parker. Three signings that I'm not too enamoured of, not because they're poor players, but because I don't see that any of them really enhance our team beyond what we had in place. I'd trade all three of them for a good centre-back.

Also, as for winning grittily - we aren't going to do it without width. I doubt Furman is a play-maker; it seems much more likely that he is high quality runner who at this level has the confidence and ability to want the ball and to cycle it on through the team. Most teams are good enough to nullify that sort of play by packing the midfield and the area in front of the back 4, and that is where you need a winger to stretch them out, preferrably with an overlapping full-back.

We surely have enough options to give width a chance even now too? Lee can play (and should get a run for my money), O'Grady can play wide-left at a push (and is another overdue a chance, even though I have doubts about his effectiveness), Parker could operate wide as part of a three man frontline... There are options there, and I don't want another Shez era where we get scared to change it up and end up limping into mid-table.

At the risk of sounding pessimistic I would outline our problems from what I have watched so far (and a comparison to when we looked like beating anyone last season) as being: (In my humble opinion of course).

GK – Brill = Not as good as Fleming

LB – No settled left back (as with last year other than a few games in D Jones first spell).

RB – Have yet to replace Eardley as despite what the boo boys will tell you, he was a class player who was also capable of chipping a few goals in.

CB – Gregan and Hazell have a good understanding (most of the time) and are solid but struggle against pace. Also if one of those two is injured or suspended we don’t look to have any cover what so ever, this could also lead to them becoming complacent if they don’t have a position to fight for.

LM – Taylor struggling with an injury so yet to produce the form he showed last year. Hopefully when his leg is sorted he will fulfil the ability he undoubtedly has.

RM – No real width (as mentioned earlier) ideally a flyer like Taylor on the right would be brought in. failing that a fit Dean Smalley would be more than capable of filling the role and giving us another outlet.

CM – A Wellens/Kilkenny playmaker was what we really lacked last year. Whitaker is a decent player but no where near the standard of the aforementioned. Furman has looked really good so far but could do with a few more options in midfield. Also I think we might miss Allott’s work rate.

CF – Abbot looks like a real goal scorer, however doesn’t look as good as Lee Hughes

CF – Parker doesn’t look brilliant and often looks a little lazy.

That said it is early days and hopefully the best is yet to come with the squad gelling and people finding their feet, but at the moment I don’t see the side as anywhere near as good as they were last year.