Article on Manchester bidding to be a host City if England get the 2018 World cup

Do you think they have a chance? :unsure:

The only question is how far they will go in moving it away from the obvious places in the NW, NE, London and Wales :blink: to make it look like people are dead keen on football all round the country (and to be clear, they aren't in London, it has a :censored:e number of clubs compared to Lancashire). Plymouth, Bristol FFS???

Do you think they have a chance? :unsure:

The only question is how far they will go in moving it away from the obvious places in the NW, NE, London and Wales :blink: to make it look like people are dead keen on football all round the country (and to be clear, they aren't in London, it has a :censored:e number of clubs compared to Lancashire). Plymouth, Bristol FFS???

You think they would build a big stadium in the Midlands to spread out the big stadiums? Like on the NEC plot , access is brilliant there/

You think they would build a big stadium in the Midlands to spread out the big stadiums? Like on the NEC plot , access is brilliant there/

Where were you when we were trying to get the national football stadium near the NEC, instead of on that old landlocked site off London's North Circular road? The Midlands site has a motorway network, airport, rail station on the main London line, hotel accommodation, etc.

Anyway, back to the thread subject, Sven is backing Nottigham's bid so that's a cert!. :unsure:

3890408790_68c243a36d.jpg

Where were you when we were trying to get the national football stadium near the NEC, instead of on that old landlocked site off London's North Circular road? The Midlands site has a motorway network, airport, rail station on the main London line, hotel accommodation, etc.

Anyway, back to the thread subject, Sven is backing Nottigham's bid so that's a cert!. :unsure:

3890408790_68c243a36d.jpg

It will be very different come 2018 when the Midlands will have no indigenous population save maybe a few desperate fugitives clinging to the edge of their former attempts at civilization avoiding the mopping up squads.

I'd heard.

The Nottingham situation is interesting...I can't be bothered to trawl the internet but from what I can remember from when I was living there, the idea was that Forest would build a 50k (approximately) seater stadium in Clifton which could be used for the World Cup.

How keen the Forest fans would be to move away from the Trent, and how sensible it is for them to build a massive stadium for the sole purpose of four or five World Cup games, is debatable.

The Nottingham situation is interesting...I can't be bothered to trawl the internet but from what I can remember from when I was living there, the idea was that Forest would build a 50k (approximately) seater stadium in Clifton which could be used for the World Cup.

How keen the Forest fans would be to move away from the Trent, and how sensible it is for them to build a massive stadium for the sole purpose of four or five World Cup games, is debatable.

It shows their lack of ambition if they don't want to build a ground which could contain attendances they may or may not have achieved once or twice in the last year or three decades or so yet might for three matches in a hypothetical situation 10 years down the line.

Oh :censored:, done it again.

The Nottingham situation is interesting...I can't be bothered to trawl the internet but from what I can remember from when I was living there, the idea was that Forest COUNTY would build a 50k (approximately) seater stadium in Clifton Nottingham which could be used for the World Cup.
Edited by OldhamSheridan

OK, done a quick Google search. OS, have no idea what you're talking about. But the plan was initially for Forest to build a 50k stadium in Clifton. This plan has been changed in favour of a 45k stadium which can be downscaled to a 37k stadium (which was the initial intended capacity for the City Ground after development). The only problem is that it won't be in Clifton...but in Gamston. I can imagine that's gone down like a lead balloon! Gamston is north of Mansfield...in fact it's much closer to bloody Sheffield than it is to Nottingham! At least Clifton was in Notts, probably about ten mins from the City Ground. Google maps makes Gamston 27 miles from Nottingham (and about a 50 minute drive).

So the club want to move miles away from Notts for the sake of a few WC games (bearing in mind even the capacity will be the same as if they were to develop the current ground). Looks like the County hierarchy don't need to sign quality players to attract fans...the current Trees management appear to be doing their level best to drive their own away...