Just read this

I saw this quote regarding the Notts County takeover and I have to agree with the poster.

comment by ClockEndMike (U11210819)

posted 4 Hours Ago

As another neutral observer, I'd support the points made by NORWICHFANON606 -- the prospect of a club, whether it's Notts County, Man City, or Madrid, living way beyond its means simply harms football as a whole.

If Notts Co start paying wages of 40kpw and more to their players, soon that will be the expectation of players throughout League 2. Transfer fees will rocket, and clubs who aren't bankrolled by sugar daddies will either not be able to compete or will go bankrupt trying.

How can this be good for football? Indeed, how can it be good for Notts County, in the long run? I don't think so.

This is not envy, or spite, just good business sense. As a long-time Arsenal fan, I wholeheartedly applaud my club's determination to live within its income, and would strongly reject any approach by a certain Russian (or any other party) to bankroll the club, even if it means we can't afford to pay £80m for a Ronaldo or a Messi.

I would urge Notts County supporters to temper their excitement and urge the club to live within its means, and not to seek to buy success at any cost. Where's the sport in that?

I would not want this to happen at Oldham for all the same reasons.

I think in the end it will be self destructive for the football in the UK if sugar daddies become the precedent for success at a club.

I saw this quote regarding the Notts County takeover and I have to agree with the poster.

comment by ClockEndMike (U11210819)

posted 4 Hours Ago

As another neutral observer, I'd support the points made by NORWICHFANON606 -- the prospect of a club, whether it's Notts County, Man City, or Madrid, living way beyond its means simply harms football as a whole.

If Notts Co start paying wages of 40kpw and more to their players, soon that will be the expectation of players throughout League 2. Transfer fees will rocket, and clubs who aren't bankrolled by sugar daddies will either not be able to compete or will go bankrupt trying.

How can this be good for football? Indeed, how can it be good for Notts County, in the long run? I don't think so.

This is not envy, or spite, just good business sense. As a long-time Arsenal fan, I wholeheartedly applaud my club's determination to live within its income, and would strongly reject any approach by a certain Russian (or any other party) to bankroll the club, even if it means we can't afford to pay £80m for a Ronaldo or a Messi.

I would urge Notts County supporters to temper their excitement and urge the club to live within its means, and not to seek to buy success at any cost. Where's the sport in that?

I would not want this to happen at Oldham for all the same reasons.

I think in the end it will be self destructive for the football in the UK if sugar daddies become the precedent for success at a club.

I can't see the average, or even above average, League Two player expecting wages in the £40k bracket, or transfer fees rocketing because of it. You may get every player in the lower leagues wanting to play for Notts County and, depending on their progress, players from the Championship.

These players will want a fast buck and who can blame them.

However, it's the consequences of the 'sugar daddy' leaving the club in the sh*t when they fail to extricate themselves from league 2 or League 1, and that is a real possibility when the club and players of the ilk of Campbell etc create a media circus like we recently witnessed.

They need to buy the relevant players to get them out of League 2, then ditto for league 1 and then take it from there. It is possible if done sensibly, but sensibility doesn't exist in this 'want it now!' climate.

Jealous of their new-found wealth? Yes!

Will it turn out for the best for Notts County? No!

Would I want it for the Latics. Heart says yes, head says no.

Edited by Blue_tak

I would urge Notts County supporters to temper their excitement and urge the club to live within its means, and not to seek to buy success at any cost. Where's the sport in that?[/i]

I agree, but it's only what many clubs have done before them, Blackburn bought the Premiership (literally), so did Chelsea who continue to do so, Wiggun have bought Premiership football, there is absolutely no sport in it whatsoever and to me no real achievement atall.

At least when I think about our 2nd Division Championship and our 3 seasons in the top flight it was done the right way and not bought.

Man Ure operate with a permanent 860 million pound debt in place, they should be made to pay it and see how they go on after that.

I can't see the average, or even above average, League Two player expecting wages in the £40k bracket, or transfer fees rocketing because of it. You may get every player in the lower leagues wanting to play for Notts County and, depending on their progress, players from the Championship.

These players will want a fast buck and who can blame them.

However, it's the consequences of the 'sugar daddy' leaving the club in the sh*t when they fail to extricate themselves from league 2 or League 1, and that is a real possibility when the club and players of the ilk of Campbell etc create a media circus like we recently witnessed.

They need to buy the relevant players to get them out of League 2, then ditto for league 1 and then take it from there. It is possible if done sensibly, but sensibility doesn't exist in this 'want it now!' climate.

Jealous of their new-found wealth? Yes!

Will it turn out for the best for Notts County? No!

Would I want it for the Latics. Heart says yes, head says no.

I do agree with you post completely. I'd love to have the money, but for me my head says says I'd love it, but my heart says no.

A bit like our own TTA though, I am sure there are sniping Nots Co fans, and ones moaning the money/sucess is not coming quick enough. Same at QPR.

I think that the lacks of funds is what made our 90's success so special though. THe manner in which is was achieved.

if i was a notts county fan id be loving my :censored:ty league 2 team exciting times for them anyone that really complains about another team with :censored:loads of cash is just jelous i wish oldham would get a mega rich owner, i thought chris moore's era was very exciting until the point he :censored:ed up haha but it was great while it lasted.

if i was a notts county fan id be loving my :censored:ty league 2 team exciting times for them anyone that really complains about another team with :censored:loads of cash is just jelous i wish oldham would get a mega rich owner, i thought chris moore's era was very exciting until the point he :censored:ed up haha but it was great while it lasted.

Scunthorpe, Blackpool, Barnsley, Colchester, Southend...all these clubs have shown recently that team spirit, good management and UNITY can get you pretty far, even if you don't have a dodgy megabucks owner. Okay, Colchester and Southend didn't last too long in the Championship, but I bet one or both will have a crack again in the next five seasons. We can be their equals and must try to emulate them.

As for the Chris Moore season, I can't remember it being that great, to be honest. Even before mid-season, I'm sure there were rumblings that he wasn't in it for the long haul. Plus we had so many injuries (all to key players) which just ruined our chances. If we had been able to field our best team for most of that season (with Hall, Hill, Armstrong, Murray, Pogs, Wijnhard and Andrews/Killen all fit at the same time) we would have gone up, no question. Plus we blew so many points at home to rubbish teams. Yeah, it was great to see us actually challenging, but it was more frustrating rather than great for me. And the feeling on the tube after the QPR match......what a freakin' downer.