Oldham Athletic Again!

Great day and performance yesterday. The official report on the Website though was very kind to both teams imo. As I was completely sober ALL day I feel I can give a less showbiz account. It was a pretty poor game, Charlton play slick, pretty football but seem to have no Plan B, namely get it wide and sling in in - meat and drink to Greegs and Rubes. They had one or two chances but we never truly looked in danger. In fact even when the referee penalised us for Kelv and Brill's timewasting by adding 5 minutes on I was still pretty confident we wouldn't relent.

What impressed me is the growing relationship between this group of players and the fans, there was no moaning whatsover and as the player came out to line-up for the fairplay handshake EVERY player showed their appreciation for the travelling band. Then at the final whistle again EVERY player came to clap the away fans. Dave Penney has reignited the passion of the players at OAFC, we were putting our bodies on the line and showed fantastic commitment in a very tricky away game. Ok, we set out to be defensive but with a little more nouse could have scored a goal or two ourselves. They all played well but Gregan was an absolute rock, so was Rubes. Pav worked his arse off and Colbeck looked a lot better. I was worried about the lack of our first choice left-hand side but both young Joe and Kelv looked pretty solid.

As for Charlton they've had a good start and were missing a couple of theuir senior players in Sodje and the other fella (Richardson?) but they need to learn and quick that pretty football will eventually see you come unstuck against the more street-wise teams in League One.

Edited by oafcprozac

I thought they might nick it to be honest. They hit the bar with a header from a corner then had the mad scramble from the overhead kick that either hit the woodwork or Brill spilt that we somehow got away and then one of the subs strikers got played in 1 on 1 a few yars out and put it miles wide . We struggled to create up front cause we lacked real pace and balance but we defended superbly.

Charlton moved it about well but as the OP says no plan B and Youda looked a real handful when he charged forward at pace but he didnt really provide a telling final ball.

Brill's booking for time wasting was a bit of a joke he had only just got the ball of the ball boy and thrown it down he hadnt had time to take his run up or anything.

I think with Taylor and say Smalley fit even playing 4-5-1 we would have caused them some real problems yesterday we did manage to put them on the backfoot at times but werent able to support Abbot quick enough and so the ball came back at us

I thought they might nick it to be honest. They hit the bar with a header from a corner then had the mad scramble from the overhead kick that either hit the woodwork or Brill spilt that we somehow got away and then one of the subs strikers got played in 1 on 1 a few yars out and put it miles wide . We struggled to create up front cause we lacked real pace and balance but we defended superbly.

Charlton moved it about well but as the OP says no plan B and Youda looked a real handful when he charged forward at pace but he didnt really provide a telling final ball.

Brill's booking for time wasting was a bit of a joke he had only just got the ball of the ball boy and thrown it down he hadnt had time to take his run up or anything.

I think with Taylor and say Smalley fit even playing 4-5-1 we would have caused them some real problems yesterday we did manage to put them on the backfoot at times but werent able to support Abbot quick enough and so the ball came back at us

Pretty much in a nutshell and as my sadly sober eyes saw it...

What impressed me is the growing relationship between this group of players and the fans, there was no moaning whatsover and as the player came out to line-up for the fairplay handshake EVERY player showed their appreciation for the travelling band. Then at the final whistle again EVERY player came to clap the away fans. Dave Penney has reignited the passion of the players at OAFC, we were putting our bodies on the line and showed fantastic commitment in a very tricky away game. Ok, we set out to be defensive but with a little more nouse could have scored a goal or two ourselves. They all played well but Gregan was an absolute rock, so was Rubes. Pav worked his arse off and Colbeck looked a lot better. I was worried about the lack of our first choice left-hand side but both young Joe and Kelv looked pretty solid.

Yeah, even though it was a pretty turgid game, we made Charlton work very hard and showed a lot of commitment. Considering it was the lack of this which made me fall out of love a little with the club last season, some of that has been restored.

Even in defeat, as long as my team give 100% effort, I don't ask for any more than that.

All our back four, and the keeper (although he was protected quite a lot) were rocks, and they were brilliantly backed up by Furman and Worthington who blocked, harried and closed down to perfection, giving Charlton no room to get the ball down and into dangerous areas.

Towards the end of the game, I lamented why we didn't then go to two up front and put them onto the back foot, but I think we'd more likely have lost that then. They looked a dangerous team and will beat a lot of sides in this division. Fair play, draws like this are excellent results, but only when followed up with a good victory.

Yeah, even though it was a pretty turgid game, we made Charlton work very hard and showed a lot of commitment. Considering it was the lack of this which made me fall out of love a little with the club last season, some of that has been restored.

Even in defeat, as long as my team give 100% effort, I don't ask for any more than that.

All our back four, and the keeper (although he was protected quite a lot) were rocks, and they were brilliantly backed up by Furman and Worthington who blocked, harried and closed down to perfection, giving Charlton no room to get the ball down and into dangerous areas.

Towards the end of the game, I lamented why we didn't then go to two up front and put them onto the back foot, but I think we'd more likely have lost that then. They looked a dangerous team and will beat a lot of sides in this division. Fair play, draws like this are excellent results, but only when followed up with a good victory.

Yeah, not sure which game Ackey was watching - unless OASIS got him rather 'merry' before he wrote the fishal report?

As for going two up top - yep, said the same Blackman would have given The Addicks problems and relieve the pressure off the knackered Pav.

Edited by oafcprozac

Yeah, not sure which game Ackey was watching - unless OASIS got him rather 'merry' before he wrote the fishal report?

He had one pint at about 11.45am. Soft get.

I had a lengthy text conversation with him about the game - I said it was dull, and he intimated that I was wrong and it had been a cracking game. Looks like I was right ^_^

I had a lengthy text conversation with him about the game - I said it was dull, and he intimated that I was wrong and it had been a cracking game. Looks like I was right ^_^

I don't often agree with Ackey, but I also thought it was a cracking game.

He did drink it rather quickly though!

You are right, it wasn't a good game. We got exactly what we went for. Looked solid, but it wasn't pretty at all.

I thought it was a decent enough match. Thought we matched them first half although they dominated the second to some degree as the match went on and especially as Pav had to run himself into the ground and was getting less support as we got deeper and deeper. Think Mr Hobbit has ti spot on above, a Smalley and/or Taylor with the pace to support Pav could have made the difference, his ability to bring the long ball under control is almost Ricketts-like :unsure: but he needs some help if we are to get three points of some of these sorts ofd games, it's all about taking the half chances when they come your way.

I obviously hadn't drunk enough...

It was a reasonably gentle day on the booze front until about 9pm ;)

I didnt think it was a great game as evidenced by already having a half time pint at 3.40. We went there to do a job and achieved our objective. We offered little going forward and broke the game up well with most of our players doing a job. My concern was the lack of pace out of midfield. Our "jet heeled" winger from Bradford had clearly broken his engines......

Apparently we had a stone wall penalty turned down. Even the Charlton fans cannot believe it wasnt given.

In patches I really enjoyed the game; as a pretty good example of having a plan & every player carrying it out to the letter. We set our stall out for the draw from the first whistle; and I don't see anything wrong with that at a place like the Valley.

To a man, the lads all worked their socks off - difficult to pick out players from a really solid team performance; but for me Furman & Greegs were the stars.

The ‘Boring Boring Oldham’ (which I didn’t hear tbh & I stayed till well after the lads had come over to applaud us in the away end) doesn’t bother me either – the ref was pretty poor all game; and I don’t think we were particularly time wasting on goal kicks or throws *

Really pleased with how we looked on sat – whilst I wouldn’t necessarily want us to line up like that for home games; I don’t see anything wrong with switching to a 4-5-1 away from home. In games like this one; and Leeds, Norwich & Saints (and poss Huddersfield too); I think a battling point is a very creditable result.

Others have mentioned further up about the lads playing for badge again; well I’m not sure if they are just yet; but they’re definitely playing for Mr Penney & each other – the scenes at the end of the game spoke volumes again; group hugs & high fives all the way & that’s definitely good to see; the teamspirit appears to be back on track again.

Hopefully on sat we’ll see a 4-4-2 vs Saints & a bit more positive outlook; but with the same work ethic & passion as we had a the Valley

* Am I the only one to think we genuinely weren’t wasting time on our throw-in’s – it’s just that we’re that bad at them? We’ve had cr$p movement from throws since Dowie left, and on Sat it was no exception. Lomax got booked in the 2nd half, but it was his team-mates who got him booked as they all stood like statues – we really need to work on them as they’ve been poo for years!!!